Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekend Itinerary/Tour Guide Challenge

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kiana, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I have a question for you all. If someone was visiting your town for like a weekend and they'd never been before and it was your job to show them around, where would u take them? Links and pictures welcome! I've been bored and thinking about this. Where would you take them to eat? What fun things would you do? Celebrate ur town and show off the local businesses. If ur town sucks, it's okay just take them to the dump or something. beggars can't be choosers. You can break it up by day or whatever u want. Entertain me, thanx!!! Only two days worth of activities tho so you've got to narrow it down - I only want the best of the best here.

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Oh, this’ll be fun.

I had a freelance gig where I did this for cities in europe awhile ago. Knoxville is, uh, way less exciting and expansive.

GrantCloud and Kiana like this.
  3. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Whenever I have friends visit me I generally take them to a few local breweries and local eatery’s, especially since a lot of my closer friends I have live in smaller cities and don’t have access to great local food. I will modify my post with links when I’m not on my dang phone.

Kiana likes this.
  4. Kiana Mar 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 29, 2018)
    Kiana

lol I may delete this later cause it's so ~revealing but yeah here it is

Lol yeah I deleted it #coward #paranoid #SmallTowns

Garrett L. likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't think I could do one for Long Island and I feel like there's so much to do in NYC I couldn't necessarily do a tourist package

GrantCloud likes this.
  6. Garrett

I'm definitely a minimalist when it comes to hanging out around town, I guess in that I typically am a time over activity type of friend. Knoxville has an opera festival that's good to walk around downtown in the spring, and we have quite a few crafting festivals/Shakespeare on the square that provide evening entertainment sporadically. So, I'm definitely big on going downtown and walking World's Fair Park/campus and checking out some of the boutiques/art walk alleys/breweries because it's always easy to just explore together?

One of my best friend's brother is a bartender at this place where you can blow your own beer glass and that's a pretty cool place to hang out.

Or just going to one (or a few) parks and walking around. There's quite a few river/lake front parks and restaurants with patios to sit.

Also typically like to do either a fire pit in our back yard or in our fire place depending on weather. This is the view from our fire pit:

And then there's also always the opportunity to drive an hour and fifteen minutes and going to Dollywood/Splash Country or Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg to putz around in the mountains. But I've been broke for years, so the free options typically reign. I personally like to go to this rock climbing gym, but most people I know aren't that into it.

I linked to other pictures since I know a post is capped at five.

ChiliTacos, Ken and Kiana like this.
  7. Garrett

Food-wise? We have a bunch of gourmet donut places, so I'd probably also go to Maker's for that. Stock & Barrel for burgers. We have a local steak/ribs/brewery place that operates under like six different names (Calhoun's, Smoky Mtn. Brewery, Copper Cellar, etc.) that I really like to eat at. They've got multiple locations on the river with live music on Fridays and stuff.

Kiana likes this.
  8. Kiana

This town is too ugly to bother taking pics of #desert
    Local donut shops are the best

Garrett L. likes this.
  9. Garrett

we have like... 11? my old roommate loved to drive around and try all their specialty flavors. we had one a couple weekends ago that were bourbon glazed oreos or something like that and i died and went to heaven

10. Kiana

The only upside here is all the farms in the fall that sell homemade apple cider donuts and pies and jams and stuff. This is the second time I've referenced apple cider donuts today and I don't even caaaaare

11. Garrett

Would stuff my face with those. When I was out in Sisters last May, I went to a local bakery and ate so much maple donut bars I gained 47 pounds. I wonder if they had those apple ones.

12. Kiana

Last year I went to a farm and their apple cider donuts were so fresh like u could see them making them as u ordered so they were all warm and comforting and amazing. They always have cute hayrides and slides made out of pipes and stuff too for kids so cute!

Donuts are my weakness. If it's a chain I usually get glazed or raspberry filled, but I love experimenting with interesting local flavors. Not a fan of all the wacky combos like Voodoo does out here tho. Simple is always the best!

Garrett L. likes this.
  13. Garrett

I loved Voodoo when I visited in college, but just reading about the ones you got on the farm made me drool. I love things like that more than most things. Unique, local, food-oriented...some of the best times I've had home and abroad.

Maple is my go-to baseline for donuts. I also love blueberry cake ones.

14. Kiana

yas @ this donut compatibility rn. The blueberry cake donuts are the one flavor at Voodoo I make a point to get if I go. Sometimes a coworker will buy the big bucket of donuts from Voodoo and I always search thru for the blueberry cake ones lol. I used to be a total snob until my sister took me to Bauman's Farm and I was so taken. It is too pure for this world. Now I try to hit up all the farms in the fall! Def something I'd for sure make a tradition if I have kids. A farm in the fall is like fairytale-esque.

Garrett L. likes this.
  15. Garrett

At work one of the managers always brings in donut holes and digging through to find the blueberry ones is legit the first thing I do.

Right around the corner from my house is a giant pumpkin patch/corn maze/zombie paintball place for the fall and I’ve never been. But my aunt takes my cousins and yeah. The pictures are always great.

16. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I really like this thread idea and I've been giving an embarrassing amount of thought to it. anyway I wanna participate but I'm rly lazy so. maybe I will, maybe I won't lol

17. Kiana

Lol i participated and then deleted my own post in my own thread sooooo no judgment here

supernovagirl and Ken like this.
  18. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

lmfao. that's why I love you tho

19. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

subbing and perhaps i'll do this at some point!