Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Website Update Announcements (Updated: February 16, 2024) • Page 5

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jason Tate, Mar 11, 2016.

1. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Oh, perfect. I'll use the RSS then. Thanks!

Yeah, tab + enter is what I'm doing now (after I mistakenly press CTRL+Enter). It's just different than the process on other sites I use, but again, not a big deal by any means. Just thought I'd mention it if it was a quick thing to add.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. It depends on the browser. The accesskey is set for "S" as well.

Access key - Wikipedia

But if the cursor is in the box, it doesn't work on Safari sometimes. I dunno, it's a weird thing.

I have Keyboard Maestro set to use Command+P to post. But I usually just use tab/enter.

3. CyberInferno

I use autohotkey for my shortcuts (mostly for stuff I type frequently). I suppose I could create a custom key that hits tab+enter for me, but I think I can handle that. Thanks for the responses!

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. I've removed TypeKit from the website. There were issues with the service and speed of the website and I'd rather have as few external javascript embeds as possible.

vbxvcvbxcbvcbc likes this.
  5. October 15, 2018

I've added a few new social profiles that you can link up in the "about/contact" section of user profiles. You can edit these in the "contact details" admin panel and you now link up:
    • Apple Music
    • Trackt
    • Goodreads
    • Untappd
    • Nintendo Friend Code
    These show up on the "about" section of your profile and follow your privacy settings. For example:

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 1.43.54 PM.png

They also appear in your mini-profile on the desktop, and that also follows your privacy settings. I've expanded the mini-profile to include all of these instead of just a select few. So, if someone has a lot filled out, they will be scrollable, as highlighted here:

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 2.19.17 PM.png

vbxvcvbxcbvcbc and David Parke like this.
  6. October 29, 2018
    • When a supporter selects the Dark Mode theme in their preferences, it will now automatically set the main website's theme to Dark Mode as well. These are now better tied together, so if you select Light Mode in the forum the main website will also switch to Light Mode.
    • When a supporter logs in via the main website, or logs in on the forum, ads will also now be automatically removed from the main website. (They've always been auto removed from the forums.) I will leave the preference to "turn off ads" in preferences for supporters for a while to make sure I didn't screw anything up, but it should be automatic going forward.

7. Jason Tate Nov 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 13, 2018)
    November 13, 2018

A couple changes made specifically for supporters, to give a better ad-free and dark-mode experience.
    • When you login to the forum, you are now automatically logged into the main website as well. And, it goes the other way too: If you login via the main website, you'll be logged into the forum automatically. These work hand-in-hand now. You will stay logged in for a good amount of time, to avoid the problem of having to re-login to the main website to read supporter only articles.
    • When you logout via the main website, or the forum, you'll be logged out both places.
    • The login link is now on the mobile menu on the main website to make logging in easier. The logout link is at the bottom of the mobile menu on the main website, just like on the forums.
    • I'll be adding the login link to the top of the page on the desktop mode, like it is in the forums, within the next week or so as well.
    • When you login, either via the main website or forum, dark mode will be set for you (on the entire website) if it's currently set in your forum preferences. Login once: dark mode everywhere.
    • All the pages on the main website have been redesigned with "no ads" in mind. Instead of just removing the ads, and leaving white space, now the content will fill the screen, be centered in places, and just over all look better.
    The ad changes to the forums, as described here, will be taking place through this week. While things start out, it's going to be 'remnant' and lower quality ads as things slowly ramp up. System needs to see traffic first, and then it all starts flowing. There will be no auto playing ads, or pop-ups, or anything like that. But the quality of the ads will probably be weird for the first week or so.

As always, you can remove ads for $3 a month or $25 a year.

David Parke likes this.
  8. Going to be some issues with stuff while all the servers update to the new files. Pardon the mess for about 10 minutes.

9. Most changes should have propagated now. So, things shouldn't look wonky. Going to run through and test everything out to make sure I didn't fuck anything up.

10. Looking into a potential bug with the next/previous buttons.

11. Fixed.

12. CyberInferno

Thank you! One of my minor pet peeves.

Now if only I could get an unread community notification count on the main homepage ;-)...(which I believe I suggested a while ago and you philosophically opposed).

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. This has been done.

14. Our ad partners, @Advally, now have an account on this website. It will be monitored by their team to check for misbehaving ads on the website.

If you ever see an ad that does something it shouldn’t: redirect, auto play music, or anything like that, please let me and them know ASAP. If you can get a screen shot of it and the link that it sent you too. You can message or tag the advally account directly and they’ll take care of it.

The goal is to not have any of that shit on the site, so I apologize for any inconvenience as we work out the bugs and kinks as we roll everything out.

David Parke likes this.
  15. November 15, 2018
    • I've changed the "gift a membership" option to $25. Upgrading a friend to a year of supporter status is now even easier. (If you'd like to contribute more, or buy in bulk, reach out to me and we can figure something out.) What a great holiday gift for someone ... no ads and dark mode! :explode:

David Parke likes this.
  16. Loving this.

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. November 20, 2018
    • I added a couple of keyboard shortcuts to make posting easier. When you're within a posting box, you can use Command or CTRL+J to quickly submit a post. Some people like this more than the regular Tab+Enter (which, for reasons I can't discern, doesn't work on iPads). This works on almost every device with a keyboard I tested it on, but it needs to be "control+j" on an iPad with external keyboard. (I don't know why "command" won't work.)
    • Command or CTRL + K will give you the link pop-up on desktop versions of the site. I can't figure out why it won't work on the iPad with external keyboard.

18. November 21, 2018

Added a few new emoji to the forums.

:miles::thanos:lego::lego2:

David Parke likes this.
  19. Do you do the designs yourself? How do these come to be?

20. Most are stolen from Twitter. :teethsmile:

Jacob Tender and David Parke like this.
  21. November 21, 2018
    • I pulled all the external Twitter and Facebook javascript from the site. The official share buttons were used very, very, very infrequently, and I'd rather not give those sites extra data, or load their files, if there's not a good reason for it.

22. :pondathumb:

Jason Tate likes this.
  23. Jason Tate Nov 28, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 28, 2018)
    November 28, 2018
    • Minor bug fixes. And I fixed up few things I missed with the recent blocking system changes (blocked members won't show up in received likes and will be better hidden other places now).
    • Added a place for Discogs links on profiles and mini-profiles.

Jacob Tender likes this.