1. We've launched a new merch store featuring the Chorus.fm and AbsolutePunk.net logo on a variety of t-shirts, hoodies, and other items. Check it out now at Threadless.
    Dismiss Notice

Website Update Announcements (Updated: May 6, 2019) • Page 7

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jason Tate, Mar 11, 2016.

1. jkauf

Trusted Supporter

Thank you for humoring my laziness, good sir!

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. David Parke

I'm the ink and you're the headline Supporter

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Jason Tate

New merch: chorus.fm/shop Staff Member

March 6, 2019
    • Fixed up Reddit embeds and stylized them for Dark Mode.
    • Added Apple Music automatic embeds. So, when you use a share link for Tracks, Albums, or Playlists from Apple Music, they should automatically embed now. (If you're logged in to AM you can stream the full songs as well.) Please let me know if you see any issues.
    Playlist Example:

Album Example:

Song Example:

David Parke and RJ Knorr like this.
  4. Jason Tate

March 6, 2019
    • Added some new emoji.
    Some new comic characters in the comic section:

:captainmarvel::goose::shazam::pikachu: :hellboy:

Some new secret band/music emoji:

:freddy: :mxpx: :weezer: :chorus:

And some new secret sports emoji (or just Joel Embiid):

:embiid:

David Parke, marceting and Joe like this.
  5. Jason Tate

March 20, 2019
    • Two homepage changes made.
    • The first fixes a bug that would logout supporters after sessions ended, instead of keeping them logged in for a much longer period. (Sorry about that, it was a weird thing where it worked right with my account, but not with other accounts.) So, all supporters should now be able to login once and have that 'stick' for quite a while. (You'll need to logout/and back in for the new cookie to set.)
    • The second minor change is that when viewing videos on the homepage, the links to the videos now properly respond to keyboard shortcuts and clicks. So, for example, if you use Command+Click on a YouTube video link it will open up in a new tab behind the current one you're viewing. Shift+Command+Click will open the link in a new foremost tab. Regular clicking will still open the video in the Lightbox view. This was something I wanted to fix for a long while, since a lot of people like to open up all the videos they wanna watch in the background while reading the news, and then go through them, instead of having the video take up the entire screen right then.
    (Thanks to Jason Marr at AnyList for giving me the kick in the ass to finally fix these.)

6. Jason Tate

April 8, 2019

David Parke likes this.
  7. Jason Tate

May 6, 2019

Today I'm rolling out one of my favorite new additions and features to the website in quite a while: post bookmarks. This is a supporter only feature for the time being.

Have you ever been recommended a band and want to make a note of it to check it out later? Has someone ever said something funny that you want to keep track of and be able to come back to? What about a movie recommendation, or a ridiculous prediction you want to remember in a few months? Or maybe you made a good point/funny comment yourself and you want to keep track of it for posterity? Now, with the bookmark feature, you can do just that.

On all posts on the website you'll now find a new "bookmark" link that appears in the same place as "edit, delete, and report." On desktop it's in the left corner when you hover over a post, on mobile it appears when you tap the ... menu link on any post.

Once you do that you'll have the option to add a note if you'd like about the post:

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 3.43.27 PM.png

This is a good way to add some context for what you're bookmarking to help jog your memory later.

You'll find all your bookmarks on your Bookmark List page available via the pop-down menu on desktop via your username in the menu bar:

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 3.57.35 PM.png

Or in the "Options" side menu via mobile.

On the Bookmark List page you'll see all of your bookmarks:

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 3.43.12 PM.png
    This page shows you the thread your bookmark was in, who the post was by, the date it was made on, and clicking the blue thread link will take you right to the bookmarked post. You also have all your notes for each post right there as well. You can edit your notes, or remove bookmarks, from here as well.

Lastly, I added a live instant search at the top of the page. This will search all your bookmarks for any word you're looking for and show the matches. Here's quick little screen capture I made showing it in practice:

You can search by post username, thread title, and all of your notes as well. So, for one example, you could add a specific word, like a tag, to any note, and then quickly filter for everything that contains the tag "rec." This search box and feature also exists on mobile so all your bookmarks will always be with you and you can find what you're looking for easily.

Last thing I can think of is that for right now this is a supporter only feature. It took a lot of time and effort to build, and it takes up website resources that need to be paid for in some fashion. If you ever decide not to be a supporter any longer, you'll lose access to the bookmark feature but I will not delete your bookmarks. You can still access all of them when you become a supporter again.

I think that's everything! Thanks to everyone that supports this website and I hope you all like the new feature! Let me know if you have any questions or if any bugs or issues show up.

If you like features like this, which take a lot of time to code and create, please consider becoming a supporting member of the website. For just 7 cents a day you can help support the continued development of new features on this website and it's continued existence.

scott, Dog with a Blog, Omni and 15 others like this.