Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Website Update Announcements (Updated: February 16, 2024) • Page 9

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jason Tate, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Ahh, gotcha!

@EntryLevelDave yeah if you happen to know about that stuff, I'd love to know more!

2. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Hey @Ferrari333SP - Yep! That's my fulltime job. Feel free to PM me and I can answer any questions you've got.

3. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Meh, it mostly just funds horrific companies You're better off lol

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

@Jason Tate how does one submit a piece of news now? Can't find a link on the homepage anymore, haha

New track from The Midnight, Dance With Somebody

5. Ferrari333SP likes this.
  6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Ahhh, yeah I thought it would be at the bottom of the main page, but it just kept scrolling, so I then found it within Options. Cool cool

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Jason Tate Jun 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 17, 2020)
    June 17, 2020
    • I made a few adjustments to the advertisements in the forums. I brought over the code I'm using on the main website to display ads in a better (more streamlined and faster) way on the website and to keep consistency. I also added a new "become a member" spot on the top of threads (an idea I borrowed from Letterboxd) to encourage people to become a member because, I get it, ads really fucking suck. It's why I have three tiers of membership, including the $25 one that is basically 2 bucks a month, to remove them and view the website the way it's mean to be. Fast, clean, and without all the extra ad stuff on there. Right now, I can't run the website without the ads because they make up about half the revenue, but I really do think the ad free version of the website is a game changer. So, yeah, minor little tweaks, but it keeps both the forum and main website working the same in regard to displaying ads and all that.

Jacob Tender and Ferrari333SP like this.
  8. June 18, 2020
    • New supporter perk: Supporting members now have the option to see even more posts, threads, and conversations per page. No longer be held back by the measly 45 posts per page, now you can see what life is like with 55 or even 65 posts per page if you'd like. You'll find the new options on your preferences page.
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.58.55 PM.jpg

Zoshchenko likes this.
  9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

65 here we gooooooo

I'd be down with 100, but I'm good with 65 for now

10. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Are you going to add a "DDOS" option? Just want to know if I can help you stress test...

11. July 21, 2020
    • Twitter removed how I was detecting if a tweet was deleted when embedded, so I fixed the tweet embeds to once again show an error if it's been deleted/can't be rendered, instead of just not doing ... anything.

12. August 18, 2020

Since I've been bringing a whole bunch of old reviews back into the database, I realized that on the tag pages, it may be a tad confusing for artists that now have more than 5 reviews or interviews. Previously, I would show the latest 5 reviews and interviews in little carousel modules on each tag page. Great for quickly having access to the latest reviews; however, if there are more after that I worried it would be confusing for visitors and they wouldn't discover the even older content. So, now, if there's more than 5 in the database, the last item in the carousel will let you know.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 1.55.47 PM.png

You can see this in action on Jimmy Eat World's tag page, where we've reviewed a lot of their albums, and interviewed them multiple times as well.

13. September 8, 2020

After my revival project for a bunch of old AbsolutePunk content, I decided to make a slight change to date formatting on the website.

I use relative date formatting ("3 hours ago") for most timestamps. This is great for most things because it gives a quick idea of when something was posted:

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.37.54 AM.png

I've always had the ability (on the forums too) to hover over a relative date with your cursor to see the full "hard" date and time of a post:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.39.05 AM.png

However, this doesn't work great on mobile, and for some of the older posts/content saying something like "18 years ago" isn't super helpful. So, I've tweaked it to show the "hard" date for posts after 6 months have past:

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.42.25 AM.png

Hovering over the timestamp will still give you the full date and time just like before. Now, when you come across older content, you'll have a better idea of exactly when it was originally posted. When I brought back these older posts, I used the original date so everything matches up.

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.46.31 AM.png

anonimito and David Parke like this.

RJ Knorr and Zoshchenko like this.
  15. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

16. Ferrari333SP and Matt Chylak like this.
  17. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

18. Rolling out a new Instagram embed to see if I can fix where they were displaying HUGE in threads. If anyone sees any bugs come up from it, let me know. Fingers crossed I caught and fixed it.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  19. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

I'm not sure if this is the exact right place to ask, but is there a way to make the link previews in the Article Discussion forum show the text of the post instead of the html and "This article has been imported" language? The previews are useful in every other forum, but kind of worthless here (where they could otherwise be most useful).

Attached Files:

20. I am very sorry for the spam conversations this morning that it looks like were sent from hundreds of created accounts to most members of the website.

At this time we've banned the 700+ accounts, put in new spam check requirements, and put in new protections so that newly created accounts cannot send private messages (much like they cannot create new threads), until certain thresholds are met.

At this point I believe we've banned all the accounts, but I did this in bulk, so I couldn't prune all the messages, please report any that you get, and we'll make sure we clean those as well.

Thank you, and again, I do apologize for that bullshit.

Please do not click any link they sent, or respond to them.

#fuckspam
    #fuckrussianspambots

21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Thanks Jason! Fucking bonies! Eat that goop Scrooge

22. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Love getting asked by a stranger to perform a task and they have to specify how NOT ILLEGAL it is

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Wait wait wait @Jason Tate . There is an automated process that bans spam? I swear I ban like 10+ accounts every day lol.

Colby Searcy and coleslawed like this.