Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weatherbox Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by muttley, Mar 9, 2016.

1. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Discuss the greatness.

2. Cosmic Drama the GOAT

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Flies is my favorite but TCD is the best no doubt

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Cosmic is still my third favorite but it's still growing on me.
    Top 5 band for me probably though

5. suburban myth

Rock-n-Roll Pizzeria Prestigious

Recommendation for a first time listener?

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

American Art is the most accessible.

TCD is their best.

7. suburban myth

Rock-n-Roll Pizzeria Prestigious

Thanks!

SomedayTheFire likes this.
  8. muttley

I still want to know what it is about Cosmic that I don't "get." Absolutely my least listened to of theirs. I like it on its own, but when it's mixed with their discography it feels so out of place.

9. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

doesn't need to "fit in" to have their best songs.

10. Flies got me into this band, love that record. Microcosm mmmm

11. muttley

Having it not fit in is the reason why I don't play it as much. King Friend and YouTube the Clouds rule.

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I don't really get this? when a band flips up their sound do you not listen as much cause it's different? like i mean i think tcd has much better song writing and composition that anything else they've done. it's so varied and pleasing. like you have the acoustic start to reel you in, then it evolves over it's run time and becomes larger than the sum of it's parts. it is in very essence capturing the two years of creation where the whole band fell down around brian. it is conceptually whole, and wholly displaced from American Art, and rightfully so.

13. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it's not hard to see that TCD is easily their weirdest and least accessible both musically and lyrically (with all the literary references in particular). feels unfinished at times, which makes sense being that the band quit in the middle of the recording process and Brian had to finish it all himself (iirc)

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

100%, I see why people don't like it as much as the other two fully realised albums. I guess I got caught on his wording? for me though, it's their best by a long shot and I love every second of it.

15. muttley

I don't know what it is but when I listen to the band, I usually shuffle everything except for Cosmic. I know it and like it, but in the grand scheme of things it seems like it doesn't fit. I wind up skipping a lot of the tracks. Maybe the other shit just overshadows it for me.

16. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

ah right, if you use shuffle TCD isn't the album for you. that makes sense about it not "fitting" I don't listen on shuffle, i just put on TCD and bask in it :praise::praise:

17. muttley Mar 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 9, 2016)
    muttley

I'll have to give it a listen right now haha. There was a time when I left it off of my phone completely because it was easier than skipping it all the time.

Afghan Guitar, on the other hand. That's my jam.

You can't be my friend!

18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

muttley likes this.
  19. CoffeeEyes17

There's no one there but The Devil and I.

mattylikesfilms, jordalsh and muttley like this.
  20. muttley

I started listening to the band in 2008 so I was totally on board when it was released. Just fell away a bit since then. Mustn't forget Two Satchels and I Haven't Kissed A Guy In Lightyears!

I'm excited to see what songs they're going to be playing on this upcoming tour.

21. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

The Cosmic Drama, along with TMTMTP by TEN, is my favorite album of all time and genuinely helped me through some of the worst/darkest times of my life. Their whole discography is certainly great, but over time my bond with their other releases has seemed to weaken a bit, while my bond with TCD is as strong as ever. American Art is a really good debut, but there are a lot of guitar parts on the album that sound similar to one another and it kind of a monotonous listen. Flies has some of the best songs, but kind of lifeless and disappointing production. Follow The Rattle is an excellent EP, and possibly my favorite the band has sounded other than Cosmic, but it's not a full album so I tend not to return to it often.

I do seriously hope that we get something new this year, though.

SomedayTheFire and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  22. CoffeeEyes17

I always love reading Audrey gushing about TCD. It makes me want to listen to it immediately.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  23. muttley

I've definitely noticed this more and the more the last couple times I've listened to it. New material this year would make me really happy.

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

haven't listened to flies in a hot minute, it's the drums that are a let down right?

25. muttley

Kick drum just doesn't kick.

Nick likes this.