Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

We Have to Stop Pretending We Can’t Do Anything About Gun Violence

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lauren Duca, writing for Teen Vogue:

Firearms are shamefully under-regulated in this country. While details of the Las Vegas shooting continue to emerge, the broader contours of the gun control problem have long ago been cast in sharp relief. It is not too soon to get political. Politics affects everything, from where you get your water to where the latest attacker purchased their assault rifle. There are regulatory policy solutions that would make it more difficult to acquire these weapons. For change to occur, our distraught energy must be translated into an organizational force that insists on an institutional shift in our national approach to violence.

fenway89 likes this.
  2. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I haven't read it yet but pleased when Teen Vogue writes about stuff like this.

3. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

This is a nice thought and all, but it literally offers no solutions, just like a lot of the other pieces advocating for change. The only solution offered is to complain to your legislators. That's not a bad start, but that alone won't fix anything. At best, it will stop a bad situation from getting worse with more pro-guns legislation getting passed.

I completely agree that we need to fix gun regulations, but what are we going to do about the millions and millions of guns that are already out there, sold on the black market, etc.? If we literally banned guns outside of military use today, that still wouldn't stop these kind of shootings. There are simply too many guns out there already because our country has refused to regulate this for 200+ years. We could try regulating the ammo at this point, as that would at least run out at some point. But I don't know that it's a reasonable solution.