Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wavves Bans Racists and Homophobes From Shows • Page 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 7, 2016.

1. RiseAgainst379

Regular

And for the record, I have no opinion on this issue other than that Wavves was well within its right to announce this policy and its not for me to disagree with their chosen words.

2. ttmessick

How Libertarian of you

MrRobot likes this.
  3. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Sorry I don't believe homophobes/racists or protectors of homophobes/racists emotions are valid.

Fuck their experience too.

4. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I forgive you bb.

Penguin, Nick and Dominick like this.
  5. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

If we're being 100% honest, all this does it give them a sense of legitimacy. If you disagree with racism, homophobia, or any other form of bigotry, then you should let them know they need to fuck off and catch up with the sane part of society.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i'm a little confused why anyone is taking issue with this. it's clearly not actually going to be enforced, it's just making a statement.

7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

No, they're literally going to build a wall outside of all their shows.

Wait....

8. MrRobot

A statement is pretty much enforcement when it comes to these people. Go on twitter and look at any actor or musician saying similar things and you get a hundred replies from conservatives saying things to the effect of "I loved your music/movies/etc but not anymore" or a few weeks back the NBA posted on facebook about something to do with pride and people said they'd stop watching the NBA because of it.

I'm sure Wavves knew exactly what they were doing and saying this just weeds out those people they don't want as their fans to begin with.

FTank likes this.
  9. rst

Regular

10. bestofmoss

Regular

"The world isn't being destroyed by democrats or republicans, red or blue, liberal or conservative, religious or atheist -- the world is being destroyed by one side believing the other side is destroying the world. The world is being hurt and damaged by one group of people believing they're truly better people than the others who think differently. The world officially ends when we let our beliefs conquer love. We must not let this happen." (source)

Please try to keep this in mind, guys. There's so much unchecked anger on ap.net :-/

11. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

No. Racists and homophobes are quite literally destroying the world for others. We're doing nothing but calling out their shit.

Sitting of the fence doesn't help.

12. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

This is vacuous. Love isn't the answer. One doesn't love the person who believes racism ended forty years ago, the climate is fine, the wall needs to be built, who believes we need to kill at the slightest sign of, well, being black or brown. There are things we need to do to make the world better. There are people that disagree, and they are wrong because their line of thinking means people die.

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

We get beaten up, murdered and stripped of our rights as humans why the fuck shouldn't we feel strongly about that. Why the fuck shouldn't we fight back?

14. It may behoove you to consider which side you are actually taking or who is benefiting from the tone policing when you are effectively telling the hunted that they are no different from the hunters. Demanding to be allowed to exist is not the same as believing yourself to be "superior" to those who "believe differently".

The anger you are seeing from oppressed groups to their oppressors and to those who play devil's advocate is not the same as the hatred that has a literal body count on the other side. When one side is advocating for protecting a status quo that is lethal to those on the other side, you cannot argue that they are the same.

If you hear "stop killing us" and think it is the same as white supremacy, you may want to examine what you're truly advocating for and who it is helping. Neutrality is always in favor of the oppressor.

15. bestofmoss

Regular

imo labeling nearly half of the country (those who will be casting republican votes in November) as all racist/evil/whatever is lame.

16. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

If they vote republican, they're voting for an open racist. So, fuck them.

17. MrRobot

Nobody is indicting every single person who has voted Republican as evil, god knows there are plenty of people who vote without even knowing what either candidate stands for, and while that's ignorant, it's not evil. But if you pay attention to the world in the slightest of ways, and still decide to cast a vote for people who go out of their way to treat minorities of all kinds like shit, then yeah, sorry, you get lumped in with them.

18. bestofmoss

Regular

What if they support a (sort of) more conservative governing style? Many people will cast an R vote for that alone.

The world and its elections are in shades of grey. Painting millions and millions of people with a broad brush is lame imo.

19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I like labeling people as racist because it helps me know who to avoid and also who is a threat to my existence.

Labels are good organizational tools.

AelNire, Nick, armistice and 4 others like this.
  20. Not nearly as "lame" as their choice to align themselves with a blatantly racist, sexist, all-around hateful and disgusting individual like Trump.

Because, of course, the original post didn't say Republicans in general. Just those voting for Trump.

21. bestofmoss

Regular

I am not voting Trump, but many will because of reasons beyond cultural/social issues. I do not believe those people are evil.

22. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Well, the modern Republican Party and its brand of small government politics is derived from the shift that occurred during the civil rights movements. Small government, then, became a coded term that meant a government which forces integration, or bussing children to white schools and so forth. Their ideology from then on has taken systematic aim at people of color, the lgbtqia community, Muslims, etc. So, yes, even their way of governing is racist, insofar as it detaches everything from its historical context and acts as though the past four hundred or so years never happened.

23. MrRobot

Conservative governing like stripping social welfare programs to their core that help poor people and minorities? Sure, go to bat for that side of conservatism. It's the same thing, whether voters know it or not.

Nick, Zac Djamoos, FTank and 2 others like this.
  24. bestofmoss

Regular

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but are you essentially saying conservative = racist?

25. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Whether or not they're evil is irrelevant. Their policies are racist. That makes them bad. Elections or political stances are choices. Republicans choose the individual, the white individual, over the whole.