Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wavves Bans Racists and Homophobes From Shows • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Did you even read that post? Or try to understand it?

2. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

You're saying homophobia, racism and discrimination and being complicit in them is ok because other people are bad too.

Zac Djamoos and incognitojones like this.
  3. NitrateDawn

Regular

How on earth did I say that? I'm honestly baffled as to how you arrived at that conclusion.

bored6 and morri3ma like this.
  4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Man the way people hold up these good cops that exist I wish more of them would speak out. And if they're truly good they prob agree with the statement about not enthusiastically defending all cops as well. Not sure what the problem is. Anyway, glad wavves is speaking out.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

A person voting for Trump, is voting for racist, homophobic and discriminatory ideals. A person voting for Trump is actively voting for the prosecution of non straight white people and you're saying that shouldn't be called out because Hillary is shit?

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Do you think systematic racism exists?

7. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I never said it was. My response was addressing a very specific claim that I see quite often and that is:

"I don't buy the argument that all Trump supporters are racist because that would mean half the population is racist!" The implication being that the country is half Republican and half Democrat.

My point is simply that this is not true. There is this false sense that the country is split 50 / 50 democrat and republican. But the truth is that only half the total population of this country seems to be politically active. And so saying that a majority of one party's members are racist isn't the same as saying half the population is racist. Therefore, if your only basis for refuting the claim that "all Trump supporters are racist" is it would require you to believe that half the population are racists, that just isn't what the statement is asking you to believe. A statement that all Trump supporters are racist is only asking you to believe that about 20% of the current population are racist. Even if we just go with voting age population, it is still only 25%.

8. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

It makes me sad when these issues are addressed in the way that Wavves did. I agree with the sentiment of everything he's saying, but there are many more mature and engaging ways to address that than trying to fight hate with hate.

9. Junction183

Of course it does but the level of cynicism some of the people in this thread are displaying is pretty sad.

10. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

It's perfectly fine to fight hate with hate. I hate those that hate. Pretty simple.

11. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Do you know why that "cynicism" exists? Because @St. Nate knows it first hand.

Because I know homophobia first hand.

Because we have, in different ways, been subjected to everyday discrimination that others think is ok.

Because discrimination affects us every waking day.

12. Junction183

Nice double negative! :clap:

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

What's your "solution"?

14. Tone policing is part of the problem.

15. NitrateDawn

Regular

No. I'm saying that people have other reasons for voting for Trump other than supporting bigotry. That's all I'm saying. I had a conversation with someone where they explained why, saying that the president doesn't have much power and that Trump wouldn't be able to overturn marriage equality laws and things like that, and based on his other policies they found him to be the lesser of two evils. I don't agree with their position, but that doesn't make them a bigot. There are a lot of factors. And you can say that people voting for Trump are perpetuating bigotry but the truth is that not everyone sees it that way, even if I think they're wrong.

euphguapo likes this.
  16. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

17. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

That's fair. I'm sorry. I just don't understand why anyone in any of the groups Wavves is addressing would respond positively to Wavves' post. I agree with what he's saying and it still upsets me.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  18. Kiana

How is it not racist

19. transrebel59

Regular

It's news to me that since I'm black, I'm allowed to use slurs.

stuckinvhs likes this.
  20. NitrateDawn

Regular

Because he's not making a generalized comment about Mexicans, he's making a generalized comment about the type of person who leaves Mexico to come to America, implying that only criminals do so. Which is, again, stupid.

21. Kiana

Still sounds racist to me, but it also sounds stupid so I half agree!

AelNire, Penguin, ttmessick and 7 others like this.
  22. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Racism is stupid.

AelNire and Nick like this.
  23. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This thread makes me sad. Good job on Wavves though. What has happened the last few days is a painful to say the least.

RIP Alton Sterling
    RIP Philando Castile

Anyone who says "All Lives Matter" is clearly missing the point. Its been counted that 116 black people have been murdered by policemen this year. I challenge anyone who's not understanding why BLM is a thing, to watch videos of these poor people being shot down for the littliest shit that makes NO SENSE to show that amount of aggressiveness from a cops end. Selling loose ciggs? Reaching to get proper ID for an officer? Stealing CDS? Yet if you watch the news on crazy white people actually shooting up (black) people in a church, he gets taken to McDonalds before jail. True story. Coming from a white person, white privilege is very real. I know good cops, I respect the good ones, but there are fundemental problems with the police force countrywide that needs big consequences and even bigger action to rectify. Demilitarizing the police is a start.

Penguin, ttmessick and Zac Djamoos like this.
  24. Bryan Diem

Trusted

This is how I take issue with it. There's some backwards thinking I've had to rewrite in the past. Stuff like this never helped one bit. Nothing in my experience or my studies of psychology (undergrad still tho) convince me this helps in any way.

25. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Man, dude. Even if cynicism is destructive, that's what you want to focus on? In the face of rampant wealth inequality, people being murdered by police daily, LGBTQ people denied protection from housing and employment discrimination, and the cynicism of those effected by these things is what you want to focus on? Drone strikes, stabbings at nazi rallies, a presidential candidate who tweets neo-nazi propaganda and another who called black youths 'superpredators', the school to prison pipeline, the war on drugs, crippling college costs, ghettoization, gentrification, mass shootings, the fucking PATRIOT Act, fascist movements on the rise across Europe, racial violence of all kinds across the world, the imminent destruction of most habitable environments on the planet - and you come into this thread and say:

"Guys, you're all so cynical. It isn't that bad. I can't believe the destructiveness of your worldview."

I mean, really? THAT'S what you want to focus on? You think a positive, nonviolent, 'tolerant of intolerance' movement is the answer? Positive thinking? Appealing to humanity? This is ahistorical. It's been tried. 50 years after the civil rights act and 136 black people have been summarily executed by police in 6 and a half months. 48 years after MLK was murdered and - as much as people try to say otherwise - the ultimate goals of his movement have not come close to being met. There is no right to a decent job, a minimum income, a home, education, or health care - and people die every day because of that.

As far as national and global issues "cynicism" doesn't rank in the top 100 and it's fucking insulting to have someone preach from their perch above the floods that it's the real problem.