Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wavves Bans Racists and Homophobes From Shows • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 7, 2016.

1. morri3ma

Yeah you're right, discussion is terrible. We should all agree with you always. /s

AutopilotYears and euphguapo like this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

It's unfair to make tens of millions of people feel unwelcome in their country. If they can't handle being unwelcome at a show, maybe they should reevaluate what it is they stand for.

3. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

I know you're being facetious, but this rhetoric is problematic as well. We need to create a scene that educates people on why Black Lives Matter (et al) instead of ignoring them and sending them away for other people to deal with.

hypernights. and morri3ma like this.
  4. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Fair point. I was 100% being fecetious and I recognize the importance of educating others. I just like winding up the piss babies on thia site when I can.

5. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Boo!

6. bored6

I want to preface this by saying I hate Trump more than any other politician in my lifetime. But Hillary is a pretty bad candidate herself so I can see why those on the right would support anyone but her without being a complete totalitarian asshole. I would vote for Hillary a 1000/1000 times over Trump because I think he's dangerous but I can also see why those who are more conservative would say the same for Hillary. Hell I'd probably vote for any other democrat over her if they were up for election. Either way both of these candidates aren't great.

7. selfreliable

Regular

That does nothing but make the comments section worse. Intentionally winding people up just perpetuates people to act more and more like jerks on here. Why would you intentionally play into that?

8. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Maybe you're right. I have a nasty habit of taking things too far sometimes when it comes to engaging with these people.

9. Junction183

Because then you have to conclude that close to half of the citizens of this country are racist or homophobic.

bored6 likes this.
  10. I know. I wasn't accusing of anyone saying that. But I do think that COULD be a ramification or a logical end some of the statements being made. At least by how I'm understanding them

11. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

If that shocks you then you don't understand how deeply entrenched racism, homophobia and other forms of oppression are in Western societies.

12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

This country is very complicit in both racism and homophobia. I still can't see how acknowledging this is destructive other in the destruction of racism and homophobia.

Quin Stack, Penguin, dhayes and 5 others like this.
  13. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Half is being really generous

14. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Nothing says artists aren't allowed to tell the world who their target audience is. Good for him.

Butinsmallsteps and St. Nate like this.
  15. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

best strawman argument i've seen today, bravo!

16. Junction183

Cynicism is destructive, I'm sorry you look at the world this way.

17. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I try to avoid threads such as this, but I just wanted to pop in to respond to this as it is something I have fought against for some time.

If this statement is trying to imply that saying "Trump supporters are all racist" is wrong because then you'd have to believe that "close to half the US population" are racist, then it isn't even remotely true.

Let's say Trump's support equals that of Mitt Romney's in 2012 (I doubt it will as I suspect turnout will be pretty down for both sides), that means Trump has 61 million supporters. The current US Population is 318 million people. To say that almost all Trump supporters are racist and homophobes is not to say that "roughly half the population" are racist and homophobic. But rather, it is to say that roughly 20% of the country is racist and homophobic. I think that number is pretty accurate, myself.

18. This is a good point.

19. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Cynicism is worse than the rampant homophobia and racism in the world? Right.

Quin Stack and Penguin like this.
  20. NitrateDawn

Regular

I've had it with people who scream about tolerance being intolerant of people who don't agree with them. The irony here is staggering.

So Trump can say that most Mexicans coming across the border are criminals and everyone says that's racist (it's not racist, it's just really stupid), but this guy can imply that all Trump supporters are racists and homophobes and everyone applauds it? For some, not wanting to vote for a criminal is enough to make them vote for Trump and that's their business. I'm not saying I'm voting for either one, as my conscience probably won't allow me to vote this year, but demonizing people who have a variety of reasons for choosing him over Hilary, that's just as offensive as the things Trump says.

Not to mention how stupid the police comment is, I won't even go there.

21. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Destructive... how? You have yet to inform me of how anything I've said or any of the supporting arguments here are destructive.

22. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Oh my god. No. Stop. Just stop now.

23. Junction183

Racism isn't specific to one political party or one political figure.

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

As a gay man, this is a terrifying post.

25. NitrateDawn

Regular

Why is that?