Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wavves Bans Racists and Homophobes From Shows • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 7, 2016.

1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I think with number 2 it's obvious the context in which he is writing, but yeah I guess a little clarification never hurt. He did write it on his phone.

As for point 6, I think the guy has every right to say he doesn't want anyone who holds bigoted views to consume his music or go to his shows the same way a fan can say the same about an artist with bigoted views and I think he understands he can't physically remove someone from his show for just being there and holding such views. This is more like a preemptive attempt to weeding these people out.

As for your opinion on cops, you're not completely wrong, but you also have to understand police brutality and racist policing, like racism in general isn't based in individual interactions, but as a whole is a systemic problem. So these killings are not enigmas or outliers. These cops aren't just individuals playing cowboy. This is how the institution of policing works.

Nick likes this.
  2. Well it's a fact that all lives DO matter, or at least that all lives SHOULD matter.

Could someone please logically explain to me why #AllLivesMatter and #BlackLivesMatter are in opposition to each other?

fenway89 and euphguapo like this.
  3. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

That's also a problem. The system does need to change, there just needs to be a overhaul so we can filter the bad from the good. But that'll take a long time to do. Just hope the BLM movement helps spark this.

4. What's the conclusion of this argument though? No policing or governance system whatsoever? There are also good cops who are trying to reform the system from within

fenway89 and bored6 like this.
  5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

black lives matter does not mean that white lives don't matter. all lives matter comes from the absolutely absurd position that systematic racism doesn't exist.

6. morri3ma

I'll paraphrase an analogy I heard. Saying "all lives matter" is like shouting "all houses matter" while only one house in the neighborhood is burning down.

All Lives Matter is a way to circumvent the conversation about the struggles of people of color that white people aren't currently suffering from.

7. hypernights.

I really appreciate this statement. It's nice to see bands voice their concern for different communities. As a black person that frequents rock/indie shows, this really hits home ❤

8. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

Saying "All Lives Matter" is extremely unnecessary and a racist statement by definition. I understand that not every Trump supporter agrees with every one of his statements, but Trump himself is a proponent of racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, and may other problematic characteristics. By supporting Trump you are perpetuating all of his views.

I am not saying that supporting police officers makes you racist and homophobic, and neither is Nathan. He said "if you have gone out of your way to defend police." He definitely could have been more clear/specific in writing this, but I take it to mean that anyone who goes out of their way to support a police officer who is being (rightfully) contested in the wake of police brutality can fuck off. Obviously not all police officers are offenders of brutality, but calling attention to that is similar to saying "all lives matter." We need to create a discourse to call attention to the overtly problematic corruption and systematic racism that exists within the police force in America. Just because good cops exist doesn't mean bad cops do not exist.

9. euphguapo

Man, there's bad people in every profession. Maybe I'm just biased because my father is a cop, but I think generally grouping people like cop and Trump supporters, is closed minded and unfair to the fans that suddenly feel unwelcome even if they are good people and don't have any racist, homophobic, and misogynistic bones in their body. This should be about being good people, not political views. I personally think that is just wrong.

SteveD and Bryan Diem like this.
  10. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

All lives matter is telling people to shut up about injustice. It isn't a movement, they don't do anything, it's just something people say to silence others trying to make actual changes.

Basically it's complete bullshit.

11. Okay I see. So no one's disagreeing with the sentiment, per se, but instead pointing out that it's a 100% wrong reaction to have in light of specifically black people getting killed.

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

sure. but i doubt "good cops" are going to be too cut up by people condemning the police as a whole. if they are rethink "good" imo.

if a good cop is a good cop they would be distraught by how their fellow cops act and now how people think of cops.

AelNire, FTank, Penguin and 1 other person like this.
  13. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

No. Fuck off.

14. morri3ma

Exactly.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  15. bored6

I agree with you. I support the message and views he is getting behind for sure 100%. It's the harsh language and sweeping generalizations he posts that pisses me off. To be honest this shit doesn't help political discourse at all especially in 2016 when it's never been so polarizing. I don't think getting down to the other sides extremist level of me vs you does much.

rxbandit89 and Bryan Diem like this.
  16. I'm coming from the same place, my dad's also a cop. And he's working on writing a book of police reform.

But overall it's always easier to want to abandon an entire institution rather than trying to fix it.

Carmensaopaulo and euphguapo like this.
  17. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

no one has said this.

18. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Also if you don't agree with Trump's racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but support him anyway, ehat do you support him for, his foreign and economic policy? Ha! Arguably still a reason to not want such a person at your show.

19. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Problem is with number 6, you have little to no control over it which is a shame. But at the end of the day, music is music and political views should come second to the music, as long as everyone is there to just enjoy it.

And yeah I get what you mean. I've read up about canteen culture and how it can affect the police institution itself (although I'll need to read lots more on this). We just need a better way to fix this institution but that's gonna take a long time.

20. euphguapo

Yeah I can agree with the police part of your post, something about it just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't agree with you saying supporting trump means you are supporting all of his views. You can't support all of a politicians views even if you support them, it's nearly impossible. I understand Trump is very abrasive and kinda fucked up in general, but some people truly believe America will improve under his leadership and don't support his social and personal views. It's unfair to make those people feel unwelcome at shows.

21. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

People who don't get why there is a BLM movement and not an ALM movement, need to seriously rethink.

22. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I fully back this. Every bit of it.

Owlex, Aaron Mook and artbynickferran like this.
  23. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

There is no excuse for supporting a cancerous toerag like Trump. If you support him, you are making everyone around you his views demean feel unwelcome. Boohoo if some entitled ignorant shithead feels left out because their views are awful. Cry me a river and send them off to a pop punk show.

24. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Seriously, all the devil's advocates up in here need to stop. You folks are boring as shit.

25. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

I did not say supporting Trump means you are supporting all of his views, I said that by supporting Trump you are perpetuating all of his views. If you are a Trump supporter, by definition you want him to be elected President. And if he is elected, it doesn't matter if you pick and choose which of his opinions you agree with – his will still have his fucked up views. And he will use his office to elevate those views.