Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Waves (Trey Edward Shults, Nov 1, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by popdisaster00, Sep 5, 2019.

1. From A24.

angrycandy likes this.
  2. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Looks great

I loved Krisha and thought It Comes At Night was good despite being really mismarketed. Excited to see him try something different!

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I saw the trailer before The Lighthouse. This looks good. I’ll basically watch anything from A24 at this point.

4. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Out on Friday

Expecting a similar rollout to the Lighthouse and I’ll probably have to wait a few weeks but I am very, very excited

5. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

mess.

6. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

7. michael_gatto

Trusted

Apparently this is doing poorly, which is a shame because Shults is talented and I've heard great things. My friend works at a theater in Philly and they haven't had a day with more than 30 people for the whole day.

8. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

i think that it definitely has good intentions but its a complete mess structurally, tonally. might connect for some people but left me very cold and irrtated. i think i could have ghost written this review: A ★½ review of Waves (2019)

riotspray likes this.
  9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

the range of opinions on this is truly wild to me. excited to see it and see which camp i fall into

10. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Yeah, just from watching the trailer it does not seem like the type of movie that would inspire THIS level of division so I'm pumped to see what it's all about

11. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Wow. This is a whole lot to unpack.

12. mad

I was right. Prestigious

damn the trailer didn’t really do much for me but whenever movies get super divisive reactions it makes me want to see them

13. Nathan

Trailers are always, and especially in this case, unrelated to the films they promote. This is worth seeing. Bold filmmaking, even if I can’t say I overall thought the product was “good”.

14. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely gonna catch this sometime this week

15. michael_gatto

Trusted

Saw this tonight and I'm floored. This wrecked me.

16. BackyardHero11

Trusted

seeing this tomorrow, finally found a theatre near me with it.

17. Lucas27

Trusted

This was amazing but I don’t know if I could watch it again. I’m super glad I did but it was heavy.

18. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

gonna do my best to go see this after work tonight

19. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Hm so this... Hm. Yeah. Not sure about this one. I think I like where it ended up but how it got there is a different story.

20. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'm finally getting to watch this. About half way through now and I'm not sure what to think. Interested to see where this goes now that the story has shifted to focus more on the sister

21. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

wait, is this out there?

the reviews have been so divisive, I’m excited to see where I land on it

22. Nathan

I think it's worth seeing. It's pretty bold filmmaking both in craft and thematic ambition but it plays with some heavy things that I'm not sure it handles perfectly/some stuff gets pretty overt to the point I'm not sure I'd call it "good". I'm glad I saw it in theaters.

riotspray likes this.
  23. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

You can’t really have the second half of the movie without the first half, which is a shame because everything with the sister is truly amazing, Taylor Russell is spectacular. My friend described the first half as a ridiculous after school special and I think it’s pretty accurate tbh.

24. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I dunno... I didn't think the second half was great either. I feel like this sets up a bunch of really heavy stuff but never really follows through with any of it. I'm not mad I watched it, it wasn't bad, but it is a little bit of a mess as others have said.

25. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

“Can I grieve in my way? Please?”

This is incredible

Lucas27 and michael_gatto like this.