Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Waterparks - Entertainment (January 26, 2018) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt Metzler, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

[​IMG]

via Equal Vision Records

1. 11:11
    2. Blonde
    3. Peach (Lobotomy)
    4. We Need to Talk
    5. Not Worriers
    6. Lucky People
    7. Rare
    8. TANTRUM
    9. Crybaby
    10. Sleep Alone

2. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I know people on here aren't big fans of the singer of this band, but I like their tunes.

I thought this album would be a lot heavier/faster than it is based on how they kept saying it was like a bigger and better version of Double Dare, but it's actually just way poppier. It's still a fun listen, though. I really like Not Worriers, Rare, and Sleep Alone. TANTRUM is pretty immature but I mean I guess all of their songs are pretty immature.

Blink182Bouncer likes this.
  3. Kuri44

Never really listened to this band before, but decided to check out Entertainment. Reminds me of a mix of All Time Low, Forever The Sickest Kids, with some early P!ATD. I would’ve been all over this band if they’d been around when i was a bit younger, but I definitely see/get the appeal. Really fun album that’s now put them on my radar.
    I’ve seen some comparisons to 5 seconds of summer, but I’d say these guys are way better.

Matt Metzler likes this.
  4. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

You should check out their last album, Double Dare, too. If you like this one I bet you'll like that one.

Blink182Bouncer and Kuri44 like this.
  5. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Yeah, I really don’t get the outsized animosity towards this band either. I can see how their all-caps Twitter feed can be annoying, but in everything else they’ve come across to me as perfectly self-effacing and charming. I dunno, I think I might be harboring a mancrush on Awsten, there’s something that hasn’t happened in a while, lol!

Anyway, seriously thought about pre-ordering this. Ultimately, I’m glad I didn’t, but I do think this album is decent, and a natural step up from Double Dare. I feel like a lot of the songs here feel like campanions to the previous album (the acoustic one, the harsh one, the pure electronics one), but at the same time this album also feels leaner and more refined. I think they’re still finding their voice, but the have potential to make something really great. To be honest, I think they’re mixing rock and modern pop far more effectively than, say, Fall Out Boy.

“Blonde” and (especially) “Not Warriors” are so fucking sick, the best songs they’ve ever written. Really dig the 90’s vibe on “Peach,” and I really like “Tantrum.” Really only meh towards “Crybaby,” but I respect their ambition and feel they can crack that style if they keep working at it. Otherwise, most of the album’s growing on me!

Here’s hoping they announce a U.S. headliner soon!

6. GEM37

She haunts the roads

To that, I would especially recommend “Hawaii,” “Stupid for You,” “Dizzy,” and “Little Violence.”

Kuri44 likes this.
  7. Kuri44

Forgot to check out Double Dare! Putting on now

8. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Just remembered that “Rare” really feels like a companion piece to “Gloom Boys” on the previous album.

9. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I keep posting in here because I really just wanna talk to someone about how good “Not Warriors” is...

10. elemenohpe

Irregular Prestigious

I've been digging this record a lot. Def my most played album so far this year. I need to revisit DD... I never got into that one but love this one and the EP before DD.

11. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

So I heard this yesterday. I know they were never Napalm Death but why do they now sound like Five Seconds of Summer meets Metro Station?

No Warriors was well written but TANTRUM and Lucky People are absurdly cringey and awful.

12. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I feel like I like this

Is this the type of music I've been hating on for 10 years and didn't know it?

13. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I dunno. What kind of bands do feel typify this sound?

Of the many mid-level rock bands currently implementing synths and samples in their sound, I feel Waterparks do it a lot better than their peers more often than not. To quote a review I read, it feels like those choices actually sound like they’re coming from a band.

14. young&menace

I hated this album so much when I first heard it, but within a week it easily became one of my most favorite releases this year. Everything is so damn catchy