Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Watchmen (HBO) TV Show • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Anthony_ Oct 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 22, 2019)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

One of them literally calls Rorschach the “moral compass” of the graphic novel. You can’t make this shit up.

2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, Rorschach was all about "morality" in the sense of he basically was almost a religious extremist (but not really religious) where anyone who was a "sinner" or committed crimes deserved to be dead and etc. It's his own fucked up sense of "morality", not really actually moral.

It's extremely easy to see how white supremacists would take that attitude and apply it to what they believe a "clean", "moral" America should look like.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. Anthony_

Not to mention the dude is pretty much an incel before that was a term lol, so of course radical white right-wing terrorists would latch onto his ravings as gospel

Cameron, David87 and RyanPm40 like this.
  5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

ANd now that I've read that Veidt article, it makes even more sense, because Veidt became a hero of the liberal movement and Roger Ailes' newspaper was responsible for publishing Rorschach's journal. So much like everything else in America, things became polarizing where right wingers naturally sided with whatever would be bad for a left winger like Veidt---in this case, his journal exposing the whole D.I.E. event as being a Veidt creation. So of course someone making Veidt out to be the bad guy would, in turn, be the good guy for right wingers.

So I never read the comics, so I didn't know the true ending, only the movie ending....so a question about the show... are these squid storms in the show supposed to be, like, ACTUAL inter-dimensional attacks, or is the assumption that these are just more things cooked up by Veidt to keep the world at peace?

6. Anthony_

It's been a while since I read the graphic novel so I can't remember if this was part of it, but my assumption is that it's the second thing

David87 likes this.
  7. Wharf Rat

They're definitely manufactured one way or another, Veidt created the thing in his lab. No other dimensions involved except the "dimensional" teleportation stuff

RyanPm40 and David87 like this.
  8. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Correct, and the small squids didn't exist in the comic. It was just one big one dropped on New York that killed millions

David87 likes this.
  9. Anthony_

Yeah I didn't think they existed in the book but I've forgotten about bigger details in things before so I couldn't be sure. It's definitely a way to make sure that nobody forgets about the "looming threat" and, as a result, goes back to their hostile state.

David87, RyanPm40 and Wharf Rat like this.
  10. Wharf Rat

And yeah, original Rorschach was a right wing conspiracy theorist. I haven't seen the movie but its my understanding it doesn't help the audience understand that as well as it could. Probably because Snyder is also a right winger lol

It's an interesting dynamic of right wing conspiracy theory weaponized for right wing violence but is also literally actually true, at least mostly. It's like pizzagate actually,

Nick, David87, RyanPm40 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Anthony_

Part of why the movie is so terrible is that Snyder revels in the violence taking place and completely muddles a lot of the messaging from the graphic novel. Those mistakes are especially true with how the movie handles Rorschach. The movie really helps to put Rorschach in the ever-growing category of "fictional characters that people who misunderstand the point of the narrative idolize to an unhealthy degree." Granted, dweebs can obviously have that reaction to the graphic novel alone, but the movie really gets it wrong.

12. RyanPm40

That prison scene with the hot oil was pretty rad though

13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I do remember his monologue in the movie bitching about "liberals" and stuff, but it def appeared to be more about just hating the "elites" in general and not so much a right wing vs. left wing thing.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  14. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I was also gonna ask where Night Owl is but that HBO link about Rorschach's journal answers that as well. I wonder if we'll be seeing him in the show or not.

15. jbaseball44

Who Watches The Watchmen? Supporter

casually whenever i talk about watchmen with friends or random people, more so now since the show was announced, i find a lot of people think Veidt was right in what he did or at least sympathize with him

Wharf Rat likes this.
  16. Anthony_

He's a radical social conservative with a seething hatred of the "communists", "whores", and "liberals". Like, everyone always loves the "save us" quote but leaves out the full context of it lol

He sounds like he's auditioning to go on Alex Jones' show.

17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I understand...without condemning or condoning...I understand.

*vanishes to different universe*

18. RyanPm40

I think the shows creator already confirmed we will not be seeing him. But hinted we may see his original owl ship, implying that the one we saw in this episode was a recreation after the police stole his tech

David87 likes this.
  19. RyanPm40

I wonder if this Dr. Manhattan is actually real or some trick from Veidt

20. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

lol I haven’t read that in a long time, jesus

I know there’s he’s talking about communists there in the context of the Cold War, but still LOL

Anthony_ likes this.
  21. Anthony_

the moral compass of the book, everyone haha

David87, VanMastaIteHab and Wharf Rat like this.
  22. Anthony_

I've always looked at Rorschach partially as Moore's commentary on the types of people who would naturally be drawn to becoming a masked vigilante in a world where such a thing was commonplace. Extremists with a warped or twisted sense of morality/justice and a lethal violent streak that would be uncontrollable in a situation where they could hide their identity. That people think Rorschach is worthy of being called a hero says a lot about them lol.

Also worth noting is that it isn't a coincidence that Moore ultimately reveals Rorschach to be a street corner doomsday guy lol

23. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

“In your hearts, you know it’s right (wing)”

24. RyanPm40

Yeah Moore himself has stated that he kind of gets creeped out by people who identify with Rorshach and it's pretty much like "oh that's cool.. but can you like never go near me again" lol

25. Watched the pilot last night. So damn good. Already love Regina King and Tim Nelson in this.

Anthony_ likes this.