Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Watchmen (HBO) TV Show • Page 49

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

How essential is knowing the source material going into this? Haven’t read the thread due to spoilers

2. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

It helps but not essential. I know plenty of people who have watched and loved it without knowing the comic.

RyanPm40 and Professor Plumbob like this.
  3. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I would say it helps, but they do a well enough job explaining things as the show goes on.

Professor Plumbob likes this.
  4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

If you want to get the most out of the show, I would read the book. It’s not “necessary”, but, I mean, it kind of is necessary also.

I mean, Watchhmen is one of the greatest pieces of fiction of the 20th century. You should kind of just read it regardless lol

5. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I know I just don’t have the $15 on me right now

6. tvck

Trusted

[​IMG]

7. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I get you, I’m just saying that it should be something you read anyway because it’s an essential work of fiction imo.

8. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Totally agree. And it doesn’t just help with the characters but really helps with framing the themes and understanding why the creators of the show used certain plot devices in the way that they did.

9. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Agree with this.

Anthony_ likes this.
  10. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I need to re-read the comic as it's been awhile, but part of me might even think the show is better. But you can't have the show without the foundation.

SpyKi likes this.
  11. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah the giant squid must have been so confusing to people unfamiliar with the book lol

12. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Imagine only seeing the film and then seeing that in the show

RyanPm40 likes this.
  13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Just watch the alt shift x vid on the graphic novel

15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

haha luckily I had read up on the novel and what people were saying in here before we got to it, but it was def still a little confusing to realize the entire end of the novel and movie were different

RyanPm40 and Nick like this.
  17. RyanPm40

I'm glad that watching the movie is what actually made me go out and buy the book back in high school. I actually really enjoyed that movie at the time, and then realized the book was so much better

Nick likes this.
  18. I never read the comic, but I watched this in prep for the show and it's a pretty good summary.

Cameron and RyanPm40 like this.
  19. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Read the comic!

20. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Thanks everyone! If I don’t end up buying the comic tonight I’ll wait till I’m unfurlowed and can afford a month of HBO aswell

Nick likes this.
  21. It’s a fast comic read too, which is nice.

22. RyanPm40

FYI it's free on my Hulu now, it might be free on Amazon Prime too since they also take HBO subscriptions

23. tvck

Trusted

Good looking out. I was going off of the articles about it that said it was only available on the website. Glad more people will be able to watch!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I kinda don’t want another season? Especially without him?

atticusfinch and RyanPm40 like this.
  25. soggytime

Trusted

I had the experiment play out in front of me - I read the comic several times in high school as well as saw the Zack Snyder movie in theaters opening weekend.

My girlfriend, whom I watched the show with, had never even heard of Watchmen before. We both enjoyed the show - and both of us were baffled for the first half regardless of our level of knowledge on the source material. However, by the end it pulls it off and left us both stunned. I'd say it works no matter your familiarity.