Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Warped Tour Comes to an End in 2018 • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 15, 2017.

1. suicidesaints Nov 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 16, 2017)
    suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Lyman was all butthurt when he cancelled Mayhem Fest too. Dude is out of touch and seems to have some moral issues as well.

When he stopped Mayhem a couple years ago, I knew Warped was coming too.

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

warped sucks anyways.

Brent likes this.
  3. MightyBrian

This is where I am suppose to write something cool Prestigious

I'd go to this for sure, but you might be on to something. I know it takes a shit ton of money, but can us fans on here get together and make like a Chorustour???

skogsraet and heymynameisjoe like this.
  4. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

How did people let this amazing pun go by unnoticed?

summertimejesus and mercury like this.
  5. Martina Nov 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 11, 2018)
    Martina

Regular

Well, here's Bryan Stars take on the announcement of the "end" of Warped Tour with the 2018 tour, coming in less than six hours (by my count, by timestamps) after Warped posted on Twitter that next year will be the "last." Warped posted to @VansWarpedTour at about 1 pm Central, about 10am Pacific their first announcment, and Bryan posted to YouTube about 4-6 hours later this video:

He blames everything that the tour would want blamed and goes no further than that, like an older and smaller crowd, Kevin Lyman gettting "tired" of a lot of things (including the tour), and kids preferring Netflix to live music. It's also worth noting that Bryan does not mention any of the harassment which he's also been accused of. He also spends the last three minutes of the ten minutes video making vague statements about how awesome next year's tour will be and encouraging people to buy tickets for it.

And all of the reasons that Bryan does talk about -- authortatively fact-checked to the Billboard "exclusive" interview also just posted yesterday morning -- it's all incongruent compared to what we know of the facts, cause-and-effect (like the changes in lineup and lack of early band announcement resulting in an older crowd drawn to the tour), and the relative importance of some factors (it's finances over all, but finances were affected by choosing older bands drawing an older crowd that might spend less money overall and maybe even be less attractive to sponsors).

But this Bryan Stars YouTube video is EXACTLY the kind of coverage that Warped would want to have for this "aloha, last tour, you aren't going to have Kevin and Warped Tour to kick around all summer anymore". With coverage like this, you can be sure that it won't be long until it's missed dearly and comes back in pretty much the same form as before to fewer but bigger markets with a few different names in charge and nonprofits to do PR with and a revolving door of artists and scandals following then in and out of that door.

It's also kind of amazing that Bryan was able to knock out ten minutes of PR for Warped Tour within hours of the "last Warped Tour" being announced. Not that I think he knew this was coming, it's just that I think he pretty much already knew what to say. After all, Bryan was involved with his own scandals. He'd probably want the same things said about him and his ventures, meaning deemphasis until there is no mention of said scandals except for those haters which made him famous.

6. DillonHigh

I hear Bryanstars and can only think of Never Shout Never

7. I’d rather eat rocks than watch Brian Stars.

8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Doing that stuff is tough and not fun and these days not extremely rewarding so I'd completely understand Jason not doing it haha

Especially after what I'm sure were headaches with the AP SXSW showcase given that artists had to not play due to issues if I remember correctly

9. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

How I've been feeling about BryanStars for the past two years or so:

[​IMG]

10. MightyBrian

This is where I am suppose to write something cool Prestigious

I would love to get an AP shirt from that time

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  11. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Watching Bryan Stars makes me uncomfortable.

Brent likes this.
  12. dorfmac

Trusted

It's a lot of work for sure, and definitely not a one man job. I know that AP sponsored a few tours back in the day - just inject that process with steroids and make it happen! :)

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  13. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

A little clarification on the last tour and 25th Anniversary.

2018 will be the FINAL tour we are working to make sure this 2018 cross-country tour is one to remember. The 25th anniversary celebration in 2019 will NOT be a tour, but a special showcase to celebrate the tour’s storied history.

14. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'm pretty sure he meant to say a quarter of a century.

15. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

That might explain some of the bands chosen for line-ups in recent years though...

16. failinginplace

Regular

I've been a part of the ap.net community since probably 2003 or '04, and have tried to keep up with the goings-on of Warped through the years. Sadly nothing has really stuck out to me in who knows how long, so that, coupled with the myriad of allegations against Lyman and some shitty bands, have really left me with a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ reaction. It's one of those things where it's probably better to let it die than continue on with a failing, lackluster tour run by a jackass.

I remember back in their heyday around '98 or so they had bands like Bad Religion, Blink182, Eminem, The Living End (not as big as the others but equally awesome), etc. Now those were legendary days.

17. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

That final year for Mayhem was atrocious. Piss pour turnouts. Kerry King said it was a glorified Slayer concert rather than a festival. Never forget The Devil Wears Prada playing in front of basically no one. This still hurts.

suicidesaints likes this.
  18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

19. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

20. DillonHigh

Dear lord, the amount of deflection this man tosses around. Kudos to that interviewer for stickin to the tough questions for a while. But seriously, when Lyman keeps saying well why don't you interview Epitaph for signing Falling in Reverse. Just answer the fucking question. Why did you allow him on the tour. Don't fall back on "well the label let's them exist so go after them first". I fuckin hate this guy

21. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Die

22. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

Taking 0 personal responsibility for anything besides self inflated claims of making the most popular bands and artists who were on the tour famous is totally punk rock.

incognitojones likes this.
  23. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I remember posting a pic of this on Instagram and Lambgoat picked it up. Most of the comments accused me of photoshopping. Lambgoat doesn't have the smartest audience...

Brent likes this.
  24. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

Grew up in england desperate to attend warped. Finally got to back in 2015 and i have to say. It sucked. It seems far and away from what it used to be and every time Kevin Lyman has opened his mouth in recent years ive wanted to punch him.

I know part of this sounds like im just getting old and cant accept scenes change but i didnt like what i saw at warped. Instead of punk rock and community it was a bunch of metalcore bands calling kids about 15 year olds all manner of shit from the stage "move for me fuckers" etc. These modern bands seem more obsessed with being rockstars, reliving the pages of Motley Crues The Dirt than anything else.

Maybe 15year old me wouldve seen that as cool but 2017 me just cannot devote any time or money to that nonsense.

Hopefully this provides an opportunity in "the market" for a more positive and rooted festival.

25. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Seeing this has made me legitimately sad for them.