Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Warner Brothers to Release Movies in Theatres and Online on Same Day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Consequence of Sound:

Warner Bros. will send its entire 2021 slate of movies — including The Matrix 4, Dune, The Suicide Squad, Space Jam: A New Legacy, and Sopranos prequel The Many Saints of Newark — to HBO Max on the same day of each film’s respective theatrical release.

The unprecedented move to bypass exclusive theatrical distribution windows was done in response to the pandemic, which has shuttered most movie theaters across the US.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

Raku likes this.
  2. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

I appreciate that they’re cognizant of peoples preferences. Love having a choice in the matter.

Raku likes this.
  3. heymattrick

Sending my love

It will certainly be interesting to see the swing throughout 2021 as (hopefully) things get better, theaters start to re-open, and capacities start to increase. Will the decline in attendance for theaters be as drastic as some are speculating? I think this will just overall boost consumption of films for the better, and not necessarily completely devastate theaters and the theater experience.

I think a ton of people are misinterpreting this announcement and only seeing "Movies going to streaming" while ignoring the "still being released at the same time in theaters" part of it. Fascinating stuff to watch.

theasteriskera likes this.
  4. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I mean I love going to the theaters so for a decent amount of movies I'll still go. Some I could see myself skipping as long as I have easy access to a steam though.

heymattrick likes this.
  5. heymattrick

Sending my love

There are definitely movies I will still want to see in theaters. But there are a lot that I wouldn't choose to see in a theater and end up never seeing, but if it's on streaming, the chances of me watching that movie are much higher.

I like that they're going to HBO Max vs. having to buy the movie individually.

6. kpatrickwood Dec 4, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 4, 2020)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Wonder if HBO Max is going to add a higher tier subscription package that'll include new releases like these. It'll be awesome if they don't, but kind of understandable if they do.

At the risk of blowing a hole in the first world problem continuum, I will say it'd be a bummer to have to see Dune for the first time on a normal TV. I get that they'll be in theaters as well, but if it comes out on HBO Max before I feel safe enough to get back in a theater, I doubt I'll have the will power not to watch it at home.

7. grimis16

Regular

Yeah, I think there will be a dramatic price increase. Similar has happened to Youtube.tv. I started that 2 years ago and it was $40. Now I'm paying nearly $67 a month and it's more or less the same package with a few throwaway channels that were added.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  8. CMilliken

Trusted

Love having the choice. Still some I would go to a theater for but I bet I’ll watch some I wouldn’t have paid for in theaters.

9. Jason

Regular

I have YoutubeTV as well. It was like $35/month when I signed up around 3 years ago and now it's at $65/month. They did add a few channels earlier this year and automatically raise the price. If they do another price increase, I'm taking my business elsewhere.

10. Tata Toothy

Regular

I also have YouTubeTv the price increase definitely hurts. But a couple pluses are you can have three streams going at once, so I split it with a buddy of mine and let my mom use it.

Losing RSN hurts me a lot, so I’m not sure what I’m going to do come baseball season.

I agree. They have no problems removing channels without lowering prices. Recently the tennis channel was removed, I don’t mind but it kind of shitty that they only gave people a 5 hour notice before it was automatically gone.

11. grimis16

Regular

Yeah splitting it with others, AND within multiple houses is a huge plus. Originally it worked really well with VPN's too (I live outside the States, so I need this), but they have cracked down hard on VPN use and made it near impossible to use.