Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Warm Thoughts - I Went Swimming Alone (June 8, 2018) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, May 9, 2018.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

if you mean the sort of borderline stream of consciousness style, yeah, that's fairly indicative of his style. irt subject matter the album deals with different kinds of isolation and but I think the sort of mutual strangers thing he goes for on that one is probably closer to his older stuff than the rest of the album (the two old songs that appear aside).

what'd you find off putting? if you don't mind me asking

2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

not so much the style as the content. i found "romance novelist" to be really creepy, to be honest. i looked at some of the lyrics available on genius and it seems like the rest of the songs aren't really in that same vein. it just surprised me after hearing this compared to my favorite band of all time (the swellers).

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I don't think you're wrong; the subject matter is supposed to be about all the unhealthy ways he dealt with being alone post touring for a couple of years and the growth he tried to make from it. I interpreted starting with a song where he has complete control but no one is genuinely happy bc it isn't real as the peak of that sort of beginning but maybe it's not done well and I just like the band too much to see. also I don't know if this makes a difference, but I also thought it was an allusion to a song off the last album that was about rom coms (you've got mail specifically). Elliot has talked about being fascinated by rom coms and the power dynamics involved that make you trust the protagonist even though they're not usually in the right and etc

4. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

ahhh interesting, that context definitely makes it a lot better, haha. i think that knowing about the project and the intentions of the song writer can be important. thanks for explaining!

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

happy to help! halfway through writing the post I was like ''oh god am I an apologist? fuck"

6. stijn_p

Regular Supporter

Really like this little album, nice surprise

7. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

This is awesome. Spotify rec.

teebs41 likes this.
  8. genericity

lol

9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed likes this.
  10. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Pressing hand numbered and signed limited to 15(!!!) copies

11. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

this rules. should've checked it out earlier

12. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

It’s only gotten better and better for me! Ended up #3 on my AOTY list!

KidLightning, Zac Djamoos and teebs41 like this.
  13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Just hit play and remember why I loved it on first listen

Larry David likes this.
  14. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Maybe I'm crazy but this reminds me a little of Into It Over It when I listen to it, not sure if it's his voice or what

15. Leftandleaving

I can get that, proper era iioi

Dave Diddy likes this.
  16. I'm surprised you hadn't! idk why I always thought it was totally up your alley

great record

Zac Djamoos and Larry David like this.
  17. Leftandleaving

You were right haha!

18. Leftandleaving

It just hit me today I get lots of everynight fire works vibes from this

EmmanuelSCastle and KidLightning like this.
  19. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

This album is still fantastic.

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I should definitely revisit, it's been a while! good bump

KidLightning likes this.
  21. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

It's one of the records I turn to now when the weather gets warm (ha!) so I've listened to it a few times over the past couple days. It's cool again today, but "Sunbleached and Yellowed" is still stuck in my head.

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think I play the first LP more just cause at this point I have a longer history with it and I end up neglecting this one :( what else do you like when the weather gets warm? like happiness hours is def one of mine so between the two thread bumps I'm thinking you'll have picks I'll like but maybe haven't thought about in a bit or haven't heard of lol

23. LosManosFuertes

Love This Place Supporter

Just found this record this year, so super late to the conversation, but I would love if there was new record at some point. IWSA is soooo good.