Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Warcraft (Duncan Jones, June 10th 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by aranea, Mar 18, 2016.

1. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Wharf Rat likes this.
  2. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

still a little tentative but pretty excited

4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

5. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

6. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

watching this tomorrow. i am so fucking pumped.

lightning13 likes this.
  7. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

8. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I know absolutely nothing at all about the story of warcraft but the visuals look great and the characters look very good alongside their video game counterparts. That being said, I hope this starts a trend of great video game movies. I can't image blizzard not doing insane quality control.

lightning13 likes this.
  9. zigbigwig

getting mixed to negative reviews. i'm worried.

10. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Man, I kinda thought it would but this sucks. I was really looking forward to this. I'm still going to see it regardless, I didn't spend years of my life playing those games not to, but this def puts a damper on things a little bit.

11. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Oh no. I'm going to see it regardless too but like. These reviews are bad, like really bad. I'm so disappointed. I'm upset for Duncan and Blizzard too. Argh.

Now I'm like, half worried about assassin's creed. If that's also terrible, then please let's give up on video game movies. I'm not even looking forward to the new tomb raider.

12. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I'd argue video game adaptations would work better as television programs than movies. One problem with video game movies is you're trying to set up a story that gamers already know but the general public doesn't. Something like Warcraft has deep lore that it's impossible to set up in a couple hours, you need a little time to set things up proper. A medium like television would allow this to happen, it may not have the high production values but it'd probably work better.

lightning13 likes this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The kotaku review for this is hilarious.

"At least the armor looked good. "

14. zigbigwig

Movie is great. Flawed but great. There were quite a few bumps with explaining the universe to newcomers. 40-50% rating is gonna hurt the sales and that's frustrating.

Hope they make another one though.

15. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Down to 25% on Rotten Tomatoes :(

I'll still go see it though.

16. zigbigwig

Ugh. That's incredibly frustrating. Ridiculous. It's so far from a 30%.

17. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

How does RT actually work though? I've always thought critics just either give it a tomato for good or rotten for bad. The 30% would just represent only 30% of people think it's "good". Where critics who rate the movie as like 6/10 might still give it a rotten rating.

18. You're mostly right but critics don't actually go to RT and select "fresh or rotten" for each movie. They are reviewing for their own publications and RT sources those and either marks them as positive or negative reviews. But yeah, at the end of the day it would mean that "30% of critics thought this movie was good"

There are a lot of reasons to not look into RT as the end all be all of reviews. I think it's useful to see overwhelming praise or negativity towards a certain title but so many films kind of land in the middle of that spectrum and for that reason you should seek out your own reviews to make an educated decision.

There are so many "fresh" movies that I haven't liked and "rotten" movies that I have loved.

loudasallgetout likes this.
  19. red8ge

Regular

this movie is going to be a hilarious trainwreck and i am so excited to see it opening night in IMAX

20. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

21. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I love Duncan Jones. I wanted so badly for this to be another solid entry into his body of work. I spent most of the runtime wishing it would end and feeling bad for Jones. It should have committed to two or three of it's storylines, and instead spread itself out over a couple handfuls and it didn't give any of them full weight.

I hate how shiny and slick everything looked. Nothing felt lived in, especially when compared to something like Game of Thrones or the Lord of the Rings. Not a scratch on any piece of armor or sword or shield, no wear on the doors and stones. Every human character looked like they came from hot showers and shampoo and face cream and whatever else. Plus none of the primary human characters looked older than 24, so when they talked of their travels and battles and families it rang so, so off.

Some of the orc stuff was good. It's an achievement in CGI, certainly. But if not for X-Men Apocalypse, I'd have my least favorite theater experience of the year. Rough all around.

22. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

To me it seems like it could at least be an interesting failure.

23. So how bad is this?

24. red8ge

Regular

man i fucking loved this shit. helped by the fact me and my friend kept making jokes the whole time, but it was pretty entertaining for a movie i had zero hopes for

10/10 if you have a sense of humor about the shitty summer movies you see
    11/10 if you also play WoW
    4/10 if you're a chad and take action movies too seriously

25. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

hahahahahha

coleslawed and loudasallgetout like this.