Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

War for the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, July 14, 2017) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by BackyardHero11, Oct 6, 2016.

1. johnnyferris Jul 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2017)
    johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Just got out and loved it!

Terrible movie watching experience though. If anyone here has kids I hope you're not a part of the crowds that bring their young kids to 10 p.m. showings of PG-13/R films.

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I loved this. Might be my favourite of the three.

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

This was so good

The first half or so reminded me of the best recent westerns/revenge films, and it's amazing that they pulled that vibe off with CGI characters. Then the other half is this cool POW escape plot. The visuals throughout were fantastic, as was the score. I was glad there wasn't much emphasis on the human element, which weighed Dawn down

Woody Harrelson's character could have been better, he was just too cartoonishly evil (shaving his head menacingly, eating off of a large knife, wearing sunglasses at night and indoors) but it didn't bring it down much, and his performance was good

This is probably my favorite blockbuster release of the year so far

4. flask

Trusted Supporter

This is still the best movie I've seen this year.

secretsociety92 and ChaseTx like this.
  5. dlemert

Trusted

Yeah this is probably the best I've seen this year too. I'm still hard-pressed to find any major flaws with it, and it's certainly the film that has stuck with me the most. It's equal parts devastating and entertaining in a way a movie like Dunkirk couldn't quite reach.

It also completes a trilogy which is probably the best since Nolan's Batman films.

6. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

This was awesome. Loved how much emotion can be conveyed through a CGI ape, just incredible.

Near perfect trilogy in my eyes.

beachdude42 and ChaseTx like this.
  7. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Can't believe I haven't seen this yet. The theater down the street from work only has it playing once, at 4:00PM. Might head out of work a few minutes early and see it solo. Can't imagine there will be too many people there.

8. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

So annoyed this isn't doing as well as the previous two when it comes to the box office. What is puzzling is that plenty of people saw the second one so why wouldn't you come back to see the conclusion to that film?

llllllllllllllll likes this.
  9. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think it has a lot to do with when it was released. War was sandwiched between two huge blockbusters with Spiderman and then Dunkirk the following week. Dawn didn't have much competition when you look at what was released just before and after it. Of the movies released around the same time, the biggest was probably the Purge sequel and that Sex Tape movie with Jason Segel.

10. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

I guess they could have had an impact but the opening was way lower, the second weekend drop off was higher and it is looking to be behind the second film by about $60m in the US alone. Only so far made $184m internationally compared to the more than $500m that the second film got, more to this than competition.

11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Just saw it...pretty good. I found myself a little confused at times but I think I was just over thinking certain things.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  12. Davjs

Trusted

Super late to the party but caught this on HBO and what a fucking movie this was. Fantastic.

brentkid and Dog with a Blog like this.
  13. Dog with a Blog May 2, 2018
    (Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018)
    Dog with a Blog

I should probably pick this up on Blu-ray

Edit: god damn I love the score for this movie so much

aoftbsten, brentkid and Davjs like this.
  14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah the score is terrific

Davjs likes this.
  15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

16. Dog with a Blog

The Maze Runner guy :/

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Never gonna touch this masterpiece tho

18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Hopefully it’s a full reboot and they leave the holy trilogy alone

Ken, DrAlanGrant, coleslawed and 2 others like this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

this might be a top three movie trilogy of the 2010s (as in, all three movies were released this decade), behind john wick and httyd. maybe behind star wars sequel trilogy too. think i'm forgetting one more

20. Dog with a Blog

As much as I don’t want it to be part of this series, is Hollywood seriously ready to reboot it again? That’s fucking insane to me lol. Then again, I guess they did pretty well at the box office

21. flask

Trusted Supporter

I still feel like this series is highly underrated. Don’t see them talked about much despite being highly successful.

22. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

This is probably my favourite trilogy of the decade. Definitely like it more than John Wick and HTTYD although those are also great. Star Wars has a chance of beating it.

ChaseTx likes this.
  23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think part of the reason it’s underrated is they’re all pretty dark movies for a blockbuster series. Especially the last one.

24. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Leave it alone!

25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I could see them setting up another trilogy following up this last one, moving closer to the timeline of the originals.