Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

War for the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, July 14, 2017) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by BackyardHero11, Oct 6, 2016.

1. dlemert

Trusted

Also think it's too late to replace Trevorrow with Reeves for Episode IX?

2. Dog with a Blog

Haha. I said the same thing in the Star Wars thread

3. This marks another touchstone for mo-cap/visual effects. Literally almost every shot up close with the apes leaves me in awe. My only issue is that the human characters were not very compelling and only such in how they affect the apes, who I do care about. Maybe that's the point, but I would've liked a little more fleshed out for the colonel and Nova. Otherwise, I loved this movie. A technical marvel and thematically engaging.

Zilla likes this.
  4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

5. Yeah, for less than a week. Not everybody has seen it yet. That's what the spoiler tags are for.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  6. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Christ the movie is out don't come in the thread if you haven't seen it. I don't get how people don't get that.

Also the CGI is unbelievably better in this than the last. Caught the end of Dawn on TV tonight and the difference is crazy noticeable and it's even good in Dawn.

7. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Mixed feelings on this. I love that they actually made it seem like they wanted to make a "good movie" out of this. Bleak and slow and really taking their time with stuff ..

But there was a lot if stuff that was well...too drawn out. Every little scene took forever.

I also went in thinking this was the end... and it wasn't. Well not the total end. "Planet of the apes: apes try and change locations".

8/10 movie though.

8. airik625

I figured most people avoided threads of movies that were out that they haven't seen?

9. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I don't think it's anything new for a movie to first come out and people are able to post a review without spoiling it for those who are on the fence of seeing it. And like...spoiler tags are meant for those who have seen it to discuss major plot points. That's not new.

I haven't seen Dunkirk. I may check out the Dunkirk thread to see if people are liking it or not because this is a site I trust with opinions. It'd be a shame to open it up and "THE END RIGHT HERE."

10. airik625 Jul 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 18, 2017)
    airik625

Dunkirk isn't out yet.

So when do you stop applying spoilers? If there isn't a set time limit, then how do you know.

I'm only asking because I've never run into this issue before.

11. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

It was an example. It's out in like 3 days and I'm SURE hundreds of people have seen advanced screenings, anyway.

And I don't know what the timetable is for when you don't need to post spoilers, maybe after it's out of theaters? But still, not 4 days after release day.

It's quite odd you've never encountered people talking about a show or movie online before, while using spoiler tags or "SPOILERS BELOW DONT CONTINUE READING." People do like reading reviews before movies, and use forums and online publications to decide if they'll watch or not.

To be fair and to help your point haha, if I'm checking a thread for a movie I haven't seen yet, I go in cautiously and skim before reading to ensure nothing is spoiled blatantly for me. People should def use caution regardless!

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. farva2

Regular

I'd say if the movie is out then enter at your own risk. Hop on rotten tomatoes if you want to play it safe with spoiler free reviews.

imthesheriff and airik625 like this.
  13. airik625

I'm not saying I've never been in a thread with spoilers before. Im saying I've never had anyone say anything to me about discussing spoilers for a movie that is already out. And if the movie hadn't been released yet, then yes, spoiler tags are obviously appropriate.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

These people who are looking at threads after the movie came out but are afraid of spoilers are imaginary. It is such a pointless argument.

Henry and airik625 like this.
  15. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

If I come in a thread after a film is out but before I've seen it I only have myself to blame if I see something I didn't want to see. I've done it a few times - even when people have spoiler tagged it because I get intrigued! I always kick myself after but it's still my choice as I know what forums are like.

imthesheriff and airik625 like this.
  16. Anthony_ Jul 18, 2017
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

No need to go off-topic to rehash the spoiler argument in here; people can't be bothered to type in a simple spoiler tag, and it's clear the majority feels that way, so that's the way it is. People who want to get a feel for how other users think about a movie before seeing it can go screw themselves, apparently.

17. airik625

Has it been rehashed in other threads lately? Guess you have to visit those threads to know? I'm assuming they came to the same conclusion in those threads?

18. Anthony_

A whole thread was started about spoilers a while ago. I don't know where it ended up because I stopped going in there.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  19. airik625

Had no clue. What was the consensus?

20. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Henry likes this.
  21. Anthony_

I stopped going in there so I don't know where it ended up.

22. Aaron Mook Jul 18, 2017
    I'm just saying everyone else has used spoiler tags since Thursday night because they understand that there are some people itt (and other movie threads) who want to discuss certain aspects of a film/franchise and didn't make it to the theater the weekend of release. It's CLEARLY a sensitive subject for a lot of people, I'm not sure what the general consensus is, I just think a spoiler tag is super easy to use and common courtesy for AT LEAST the first week of release (if not longer).

But I was just bummed to have a movie I was anticipating spoiled for me. You didn't do it maliciously, I get it, there's no hard feelings, the world keeps turning etc.

23. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

The movie technically was out Thursday night. I entered this thread every day from then to mid-Sunday when I saw it and was able to see what this community thought AND didn't have anything spoiled. It's possible and exists.

It's just common courtesy ya know? A spoiler tag ain't too tough to have...especially in the week it came out.

24. aoftbsten Jul 18, 2017
    aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was absolutely fantastic. Slower than I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing. It worked. There was a lot of tension despite not having so much action. I thought Harrelson was great. He seemed to channel Brando from Apocalypse Now (seems like there were a few subtle and not so subtle hints at that movie).

Harrelson's death was great. The set up with the toy was great.
    EDIT: To be clear, I am not saying Harrelson's character is as great as Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. There just seemed to be a few moments in his performance when he borrowed a few nuances from Brando's performance.

Davjs likes this.
  25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I do have a couple of small gripes:

I could have done without the avalanche deus ex machina. The humans cheering when they took the base hinted at the idea that they would eventually just kill each other off and the apes would persevere. Also, it does seem like Caesar made it really far before he finally bled out from that wound. Seems pretty far fetched, but I guess I can accept it.
    Still, great final chapter in this excellent trilogy.