Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

War for the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, July 14, 2017) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by BackyardHero11, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Great minds

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Envious! The best I can do with my wife is the occasional superhero or action film as long as it's not too violent. It's ok though as I enjoy going by myself just as much as going with others.

Cameron likes this.
  3. flask

Trusted Supporter

I was legit relieved they brought in Bad Ape. The first hour was unrelenting despair.
    The part where they confront Winter in the kitchen and he finds out that his actions caused the death of Caesar's wife and son really got to me. Like the fact that its a cgi monkey but the animation so incredible you can see the sadness in his face is incredible to me. And then they choke him out so he doesn't alert the guards. What a movie.

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

This was incredible. More thoughts to come

5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Ok.

That score is so good. The part where the soldiers are sneaking in at the beginning was accompanied by such a great composition. Loved all the Koba hallucinations. Made it feel so much more connected to the rest of the trilogy. Provided a nice devil on the shoulder for Caesar's character. Bad Ape was such a good comic relief amidst the darkness. That was a perfect end for Harrelson's character. Buck:( also that opening was intense.[spoiler\]

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Reeves is on another level. Can't wait to see what he brings to The Batman. The cinematography in this was a delight.

aoftbsten and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It's amazing how much Caesar's speech evolved over the movies, remember to struggled to say a single word now he's so eloquent
    I really liked Nova and Bad Ape, Steve Zahn being the comic relief is an inspired choice

I don't know how I felt about the slavery metaphor

8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Did NOT realize that was Zahn that's awesome.

Zilla and Bloodsucker II like this.
  9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

yeah something the originals never really showed was how the apes evolved over time. in these movies we see Caesar go from struggling to say the word "no" in the first movie, to being able to speak decently but still a little stunted, and now hes giving full on speeches and is pretty well spoken. its also neat watching the OTHER apes pick up these speech patterns. they start using sign language but eventually they can start to speak a little like Caesar did.

i think thats actually a neat but small little reference back to the old movies. in Escape when Cornelius and Zira are brought before the U.S Government and questioned, one of the board members asks Cornelius if English is the only language he knows. Cornelius replies "what is English? i just speak the language that was passed down to me by my mother and father, who were taught it by their mother and father and so on" although in the originals the apes believe that God gave them that language.

Something these movies dont touch on as much is the religious side, in the originals its a big theme that carries on throughout all 5 movies, this idea that God was himself an ape and he created apes in his image and he passed down some sacred rules that all of the apes must follow. their most important rule is "ape must not kill ape" which i think is echoed very well in Dawn when Koba says "Caesar no kill ape" and Caesar coldly replies "You are not an ape" and allows him to fall.

fuck i love all of these movies so much

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  10. Dog with a Blog

Holy lord this was bleak. Need to see again.

11. Dog with a Blog

Just speaking on visuals and music here but the scene where they are traversing across the beach legit reminded me of Lawrence of Arabia

Davjs likes this.
  12. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I enjoyed this. Though I was pretty disappointed overall and still thought Dawn was better. The pacing felt slow throughout. The Colonel/Caesar feud came to an abrupt anti-climactic ending. I also felt his story explaining how he sacrificed his only son was confusing. Can someone explain that to me please? I was also confused about what happened with the three men shot, laying in the snow. Does that circle back around to the Colonel's son? One other scene that really bothered me was when the little girl just casually strolled in the front entrance of that base and just walked around for a bit without anyone seeing her. Then at the very end, the avalanche I guess killed what was left of the humans? Alright. I think maybe I was just expecting too much with great Dawn was.

13. s p o i l e r s

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  14. Night Channels

Trusted

The human side of this story was just lacking. That's what made Dawn so good for me - the good and bad of both sides (human and ape) was shown.

About your questions...

The Simian Flu appeared to evolve, which is why people were losing the ability to speak. The soldiers that were shot in the snow were infected, like The Colonel's son. The little girl had the sickness and the Colonel came into contact with it because he picked up her doll with the blood on it. So in the end, he caught the same disease that led to him murdering his own son.

I just thought his whole story was pointless. Like I said earlier in the thread, it would have made much more sense if he hated the apes because his son died as child because of the Simian Flu.

And yeah, the girl just casually strolling through the base was really stupid and took me out of the film for a few minutes.

Zilla and airik625 like this.
  15. Dog with a Blog

I think I enjoyed Dawn more as well, but I really liked this. I need to see it again.

16. flask

Trusted Supporter

the flu evolving works for me because it further drives home that humanity is slowly devolving and the apes will surpass humans as the dominant species.[/spoilers]

17. Night Channels

Trusted

I'm fine with the Simian Flu evolution. I just didn't like the human element of the story at all and the Colonel was just a weak overall villain. That type of character would've benefited from a short flashback or just backstory in general.

18. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I mean it was silly she walked in untouched but apes couldn't ride horses ..or at least gorillaz, right? Lol

19. Dog with a Blog

I mean, yeah. It's science fiction so I go in to the movie with the mindset that I will have to suspend disbelief, but that doesn't necessarily excuse behavior like that. It didn't really bother me all that much, but I definitely noticed it. The only reason it's silly is cause they could have easily written "nova sneaks into the camp" instead.

airik625 and Night Channels like this.
  20. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

JUST WATCHED IT AND OH MY GOD WHAT A FRIGGEN FILM. It literally was beautiful.

I did not need to do with the Bad Ape character and the girl casually walking around as slow as the Undertaker without being noticed, but those few minor flaws did not take away from this incredible trilogy.

21. Dog with a Blog

I was worried for a sec but I really enjoyed Bad Ape.

22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah when he started talking, and he took his hood off I was worried he was gonna annoy me. He brought the perfect amount of humor.

Zilla likes this.
  23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Agreed. The Colonel was a weak, thinly-written villain. Overall, that character made me like the movie less, even though it was still pretty good.

airik625 likes this.
  24. timcsheehan

Regular

Never seen any of these. Watched Rise for the first time last night and loved it. Gonna do Dawn tonight.

coleslawed and Bloodsucker II like this.
  25. dlemert

Trusted

This was great, but definitely dark/bleaker than I expected. Not sure which is my favorite of the trilogy but I could definitely see it being this one upon repeat viewings.

And how great was Bad Ape??