Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

War for the Planet of the Apes (Matt Reeves, July 14, 2017) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by BackyardHero11, Oct 6, 2016.

1. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Gotta rewatch Dawn in the next couple days to get ready for War this weekend. This franchise has turned into such a pleasant surprise.

2. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I just rewatched Dawn last night and holy shit that movie is just so damn good. The Koba dynamic was so good because he genuinely had a point to be doing what he was doing. I'm so, so excited to see how things unfold in War!

3. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

Just got back from seeing this movie. Overall I think it was really good. The first 30 minutes or so started off a little slow but it picked up and continued to be great the whole way through. I think the ending could have been a little different I'm not sure I liked how Caesar survived all of the explosions and then died once everyone was safe. I understand why they did it that way but I think it would have been better if he had died in the explosion when he threw the grenade

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. I LOVED THIS MOVIE.

5. Night Channels

Trusted

I didn't think this was anything special, but it was mostly enjoyable I guess. The cinematography and the score were both excellent.

The Colonel was just not a very strong villain and his reasoning behind it all was just sort of a let down. I kept hoping that Koba would actually show up, but it is what it is. Had apes or the first round of the Simian Flu killed the Colonel's son, his motives would've been much more believable.

It just seemed like they were trying to turn him into this madman villain and it just didn't work for me.

6. Night Channels

Trusted

This is an absurd comparison, in my opinion.

7. Dog with a Blog

I haven't seen it so I dunno, just found it interesting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Night Channels

Trusted

There's maybe one scene that is comparable and it lasts for only a few minutes.

I haven't read that review, but if anyone actually tries to compare Harrelson's character to Kurtz, they are delusional.

9. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Having to wait to watch this until the end of the month which is making me anticipate this all the more but I'm watching through the original series as well as the other two newer films in preparation.

10. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Watched Dawn again last night, it's been a couple years since I've seen it. Caesar and Koba are such great characters, I really can't wait to see more Caesar in War.

11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Not my favorite in the trilogy but I did enjoy this a lot

12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

So. Damn. Good.

Just wow.

fenway89 and Donnie Ruth like this.
  13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Me, and the Wife are going at 12:30.

It's funny because since we started dating she's been liking these types of films(action, horror, sci fi, and thriller etc.) whereas before it was mostly Disney/rom com's she liked. So it's especially fitting that Rise was actually one of her first theater action movie experiences. Then of course she loved Dawn as well.

14. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I fucking adored this. Can't remember the last time I left a film so satisfied.

Cameron and Donnie Ruth like this.
  15. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I remember by now I would have seen Dawn twice in theaters....it is KILLING me waiting until tomorrow to see this!!

16. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

friend of mine is claiming this as his favorite overall trilogy ever. guess i should get on watching dawn and then this (did enjoy rise when i saw that in theaters, just never got around to dawn).

Aaron Mook and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  17. Jusscali

It's definitely different than the previous two, and I love them as well, but I think the emotional weight and finality of this film makes it my favorite.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

big Planet Of The Apes fan. the original is a classic no doubt, the 4 films that follow are varying degrees of cheesy but fun. Beneath is the worst one but the other 3 are interesting little scifi films.

these 3 new ones have blown me away. Rise was very good and had one of the few moments in a film that made me audibly gasp sharply (that being the first time Caesar talks and yells "NO"). Dawn was fantastic and did a great job of making both the humans and apes sympathetic yet also shades of cruel/corrupt.

this one is my favorite and i think its better than the original 1968 film. i know thats wild as fuck to say but honestly this is a movie that i cant find a flaw with. i looooove how it ties into the original 5 films and Caesar has got to be one of my all time favorite film characters. Andy Serkis is a genius as are the dozens and dozens of other crew members and actors that made this film possible.

19. Jusscali

I've never actually seen the original films. Is Caesar referenced? Is the main ape a direct descendant?

20. CoffeeEyes17

i dont want to spoil too much for you but basically Caesar is the son of two apes that somehow time traveled back to earth. so the original POTA is, as im sure you know, about astronauts somehow being caught in a time warp and traveling to an earth thats ruled by sentient apes. in Escape From The Planet Of The Apes 3 apes use that same time warp to travel back in time to our earth. they have a son whom they name Caesar and he begins the revolution that eventually leads to apes taking over the earth. some sort of virus or disease causes all the worlds domesticated animals to die out so apes become the new house pet and the all start to develop intelligence very quickly.

i think the Caesar in this trilogy is just sharing a name and general character with the original.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  21. Jusscali

Ohhhh so it's a complete reimagining of the story. I thought it was a true prequel all this time.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  22. CoffeeEyes17

yeah they already did the whole prequel thing with the last 3 of the original 5. this is pretty much just a remake of it only this time we're starting from the very very beginning instead of bringing time travel and all that other stuff into it lol

23. Jusscali

Are any other characters referenced in those older movies or are they all original ?

24. CoffeeEyes17

Cornelius is the name of Caesars father and one of the original 3 apes to travel back in time in Escape From The Planet Of The Apes. Koba is basically analogous to Aldo who was the "bad ape" in the old movies. Zira was Cornelius' wife and Cornelia would be her counterpart in these newer films. aside from that the other apes and humans are pretty much unique to these new 3 films

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  25. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Cornelius is Caesar's son in this trilogy, but in the original Cornelius is the father of Caesar.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.