Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

WandaVision (2021, Disney+) • Page 50

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Disney overlords strike again?

2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Really should have been 10 episodes, 9 is such a weird number but alrighty

3. flask

Trusted Supporter

9 fits for a three act structure over the whole season.

but really episode numbers are completely arbitrary. Could have been 6 or 7 longer episodes too

4. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

that's such a bummer, lmao. sounds like the whole payoff to Fietro being in this season was cut so he'd just a vaguely annoying loose end in the finale we got

would've been cool to see Darcy and Monica doing awesome shit and like, actually discussing Monica's powers! no one in the finale seems remotely surprised that she can just absorb bullets now

5. -deleted-

-

I was quite entertained by the fact that we had no idea what Darcy had been doing since Vision left her, she appears for her intentional car accident and punch line, and then is not even seen again iirc.

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah wtf was up with that. and when the fbi guy just kept shooting at her, I felt that was a little weird. There was tension between them but that’s a little overboard

RyanPm40 likes this.
  7. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I mean, the entire last third of the series makes a ton more sense now knowing what couldn't get done with COVID. They could just be covering their ass, but it seems like every part (for me) that fell flat was directly related to what couldn't get pulled off in time.

Nick and justin. like this.
  8. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Did Wanda turning Agatha into Agnes somehow survive her taking down the bubble? If she can do that, why couldn't she keep Vision/her kids around without the bubble?

Overall this was fun. Definitely felt rushed towards the end though. I feel like Agatha's role/character would've been better off in a second season/movie though. Allow Wanda to be her own villian she needs to overcome (while also protecting herself from the feds who just want to take her out), and then give her a proper adversary in season 2.

9. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Probably because she was a living being that Wanda just put a persona in her head whereas Vision and the kids were never real

10. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Yup, and with Wanda able to subconsciously create the hex on her own, a spell to keep Agatha as Agnes seems pretty easy.

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah exactly, like messing with people's minds was part of her original MCU power set in Age of Ultron, turning Agatha into Agnes was a totally separate thing from the Hex

RyanPm40 likes this.
  12. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Watched the whole show over the last few days. I definitely enjoyed the first half a lot more, it was something unique and different for the MCU and I really enjoyed seeing them tackle the different kinds of sitcoms with the creepy mystery element showing up every once in a while. I was pretty disappointed that it just became cliche Marvel in the last few episodes but it was never bad or anything, just the same shit as always

The cast was amazing though. Elizabeth Olsen really proved herself as a lead, Bettany was hilarious and at times heartbreaking and I was so glad to see Kathryn Hahn get a role like this

Lucas27, clucky, RyanPm40 and 2 others like this.
  13. I really enjoyed watching Lizzie, Kathryn, and Teyonah in Assembled, but unexpectedly found Randall Park's interview to be particularly moving. Like, it didn't hit me until then how cool it is to have an Asian in an MCU show this popular (AOS wasn't popular).

Also the fact that Lizzie and Paul Bettany both used the word "bonkers," like, that's my favorite word.

Nick likes this.
  14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

As a person who is a super casual mcu superhero movie fan I was definitely less into the final 3 episodes of this thing then the beginning. The first few episodes was 100% my jam. The mystery/weird/lost-esque shit was awesome. Once we cut to outside the dome my interest declined more and more as the show went on.

Hated almost every character outside the bubble. Marvel has always been cheezy but holy hell were they always this cheezy. Jimmy woo, Darcy, the sergeant dude, and even rambeu... just super cartoonish writing.

I like camp. Agatha all along was great, mostly cause Kathryn Hahn. Let's be real. Without Kathryn Hahn and Elizabeth Olsen, this would've been worse.

Once the bam bam, pew pew stuf started happening i checked out.

15. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

WandaVision’s disappointing finale and the problem with demanding "justice" in fiction

16. Yeah everything outside the dome seemed straight out of an Arrowverse show

phaynes12 and Furry Werthers like this.
  17. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I liked all the stuff outside the dome buuuuut yeaaaah this is pretty on point lol

18. Lucas27

Trusted

Finally finished this. Thought the finale was mostly great and the issues were not enough to take down what might be my favorite MCU output so far. I think that just because it ends a little more generically doesn't take away from the fact that the first part of the show is entirely original (not just for MCU, but for storytelling period). It also helps that Elizabeth Olsen's performance as Wanda in this show is the best performance I've seen in the MCU yet.

I loved the way hex Vision transferred Wanda's memories into the duplicate Vision. I thought that made complete sense even though I was hoping they'd just let him die. The execution of that moment eclipsed where I'd hoped the story would go.

19. Lucas27

Trusted

I will say, though, I had one big issue. It's this single, stupid line: "They'll never know what you sacrificed for them."

I'd give my thoughts on this, but NPR sums it up in their review better than I could:

If there's a hole in the emotional honesty of the finale, it's that by arranging this scene in this way, it reframes Wanda as a person whose self-sacrifice will go unrecognized, rather than as a person who committed grave violations of the bodies and minds of lot of people for her own purposes. The people of Westview didn't see her as a monster because they weren't fully informed; they saw her as a monster because she traumatized them, and it's not clear that she would have ever stopped traumatizing them, except that other forces intervened.

The show did such a wonderful job up to this point with the themes of trauma that it's disappointing that they didn't reckon with the complexities of owning up to the way your response to trauma can become the trauma of others. I've had to reckon with how I hurt a lot of people in response to my own pain. Glossing over that was disappointing to me. Even if Wanda had simply left, it would have been better than Monica treating her like a martyr and the writers painting her as a hero to the audience without her earning it at all.

So to sum up with the previous comment, I loved the story as a whole but I was a bit disappointed with the themes and messaging at the end. That aspect could have been more.

20. I had to avoid the thread when the show started because I was behind, and I'm pretty glad I did lol. I enjoy reading the criticisms, but I'm glad I didn't get a whiff of any of these fan theories/surprise cameos flying around and was able to enjoy the show for what it was.

Wanda and Vision are two of my favorites MCU characters, partly because Olsen and Bettany's performances are a couple of the best in the MCU imo. They're one of the reasons why I enjoyed IW more than Endgame. I really enjoyed WandaVision, though I do think they glossed over the morality of Wanda's hex, as others in here have already articulated. Yes, the show acknowledges how obviously wrong it was and Wanda exiles herself at the end, but I just wanted the show to deal with it a little more. Like, a conversation between Vision and Wanda after his revelation of what's happening could've been really good.

I still really liked it overall. The sitcom bit was was fun, and the emotional moments worked for me.

21. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I've thought about how some convo between (the OG) Vision and Wanda would really have given that "closure" I'm looking for, especially if in the end Wanda is left knowing that Vision is now *actually* alive again, and that he wouldn't have been resurrected if it weren't for her actions in Westview...but that those same actions in Westview have now driven Vision away from her. He's alive, but she's still alone, entirely due to her choices. I definitely would have enjoyed that ending much more.

(Which, admittedly *seems* to be where they left it, but seeing Wanda have to deal with that in the moment would have been more of a stuck landing for me personally.)

22. Ya, that definitely would've been interesting to see play out.

White Vision's state of mind was another thing I was confused about. I thought maybe I missed something because I wasn't clear on why he just left. I suppose him interacting with Wanda might have detracted from the closing scene with Wanda and Hex Vision, so the show decided to not even bother. I'm guessing he'll be back in some future show/movie, so hopefully we'll get more clarity there.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  23. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Yeah, I imagine the pacing/impact of Wanda and Hex Vision's last scene is what necessitated cutting having Wanda and Vision interact (or they just never wanted them to) but it just feels like a missing piece. I know it'll be touched on in later stories and that Marvel is an everlasting story and whatnot, it just... was the one part that really fell flat for me. Well, that and "they'll never know what you sacrificed" lol

25. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

lol