Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

WandaVision (2021, Disney+) • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

that's such a pointless nitpick lmao. people everywhere use "Lynchian" to mean "visibly influenced by the styles and markers of David Lynch's style", which is obviously what I meant. I was not trying to imply David Lynch actually directed the episodes of this show

2. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I guess some people noticed the watch in the commercial had a Hydra logo on it.

Also apparently Strücker is the guy who experimented on Wanda and her brother in AoU? Totally forgot about that.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

elements of Wanda’s past are definitely informing whatever simulation she’s caught up in

coleslawed, jorbjorb and RyanPm40 like this.
  4. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Everything going on is possibly being created by Wanda. In the comics, she has the ability to create alternate realities, and after Vision is killed, she goes on a downward spiral and creates the ''perfect'' life with him still alive in it. The way she seemed to control certain situations in each episode makes me believe that's what she's doing in the show. Hopefully I'm not mixing story arcs up lol

I'm sure @Tim could tell you in better detail.

5. Anthony_ Jan 15, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2021)
    Anthony_

It seems like Wanda is being held in a simulation of some kind, but she is ok with it, and Jimmy Woo is trying to get her out of it. Woo doesn’t know that Wanda is ok being in there.

Was talking to my brother earlier and we both kind of had this wild idea that Kathryn Hahn is actually Agatha Harkness. Which would be wild.

Smittzerland and RyanPm40 like this.
  6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

okay lol. again, there’s a difference. it doesn’t have to be he literally directed it to be lynchian, much like george harrison didn’t have to literally produce it to be beatlesque. clown shit from you fam.

7. phaynes12

yes baron von strucker

coleslawed and RyanPm40 like this.
  8. phaynes12

Hahn is def the villain

9. Rowan5215

k

flask likes this.
  10. phaynes12

lol

11. Anthony_

I don’t think it’s as simple as she’s a “villain”. If she’s who I think she is, it definitely isn’t that, at least.

jorbjorb likes this.
  12. phaynes12

i think it’s most aligned with farouk from legion, a show this is clearly lifting from a ton

13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Saw an interesting theory that Hahn's character could be referencing Mephisto when Wanda says "the devil's in the details", and she replies, "that's not the only place."

coleslawed and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  14. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

I enjoyed this these two episodes. I like how reserved it is and am excited to watch for next few weeks.

Please don't call this lynchesque because it had like 3 obscure scenes.

phaynes12 and RyanPm40 like this.
  15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This is good.

I’m surprised they committed as much as they did to following the old sitcom structure. I totally expected them to have a bunch of stuff from outside of Wanda’s imaginary life from the start, but they didn’t really introduce color until the second episode (which was still mostly black & white), & that first episode didn’t have much weirdness at all (excluding the protagonists being a witch & a robot).

Personally thought the second episode was stronger than the first, though the first wasn’t bad. Wonder what would’ve happened if they’d just dropped one episode this week, lol. Feel like it’ll get less interesting when it gets more Marvel-y, so hope it keeps at least parts of the gimmick going to the end.

Also... Wanda & Vision definitely fucked. :scarlet::eggplant::vision:

16. Rowan5215

can't believe how many people got upset over me suggesting a show that shifts from heightened sitcom parody to surreal horror-type scenes, using close-ups and sound design to create a feeling of extreme unease, and seems to be interested in investigating the darkness that lies underneath the facade of idealised suburban American life, may be slightly reminiscent of the works of filmmaker David Lynch. I'm not saying the show is Twin Peaks, people, but c'mon lol

anyway life's too short to do this over and over. show's good, I think it will get even better, psyched for next week

coleslawed likes this.
  17. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

5930E8D3-828E-44FD-B352-A44C9123B5F4.jpeg

ghostedaway and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It is a weird nitpick but it's also a worthy distinction. Being influenced by something is different than actively doing something. Lots of things are influenced by Lynch, fewer things are actively doing Lynch. I was wondering which this show leaned towards.

phaynes12 likes this.
  19. phaynes12

who is upset lol

20. phaynes12

yeah for real. saying it didn't invoke lynch isn't a dig. i liked both episodes a good amount. it is what it is.

21. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

So I'm just going to throw my messy, non spoiler/comic reading, trailer based theory/prediction out there: I think Wanda created this reality or realm or whatever, and Agnes (and possibly a greater threat) has somehow corrupted it, while S.W.O.R.D. attempts to save Wanda before it's too late.
    My thought is that she created this reality as a way to have her "happily ever after" with Vision, but now Agnes/whoever else has entered it in pursuit of Wanda/Vision's eventual children (Mrs. Hart asked where their children are/why they don't have any in the first episode, and "For The Children"/Wanda being pregnant were fairly large parts of the second. Then the S.W.O.R.D. people are being made to look like the villains/sinister, when they're actually just trying to contact/warn Wanda before it's too late.
    My guess is that the following episodes will be 3: 70s/Brady Bunch, 4: 80s/Family Ties, 5: 90s/Roseanne/Full House, 6: 00s-10s/Modern Family, and not quite sure on 7, 8, and 9.
    I'm thinking Wanda will be visibly pregnant in 3, have the baby/babies in 4, toddlers/kids in 5, teens in 6.. Then I have no idea from there on.

Just speculation, so take it easy on me.

22. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I’m glad this will heighten Hahn’s profile and appreciation. I’ve remembered her since Anchorman when I was like 13 and she’s barely in that movie

DaveyA89, coleslawed, Zilla and 11 others like this.
  23. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

How does Debra Jo Rupp look the same age here as she does in That 70s Show? Craziness

coleslawed, Zilla, justin. and 6 others like this.
  24. Anthony_

was wondering the same thing

GrantCloud, ghostedaway and fowruok like this.
  25. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Hahaha you're not alone there

Oskarr likes this.