Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

WandaVision (2021, Disney+) • Page 48

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Oh no, I was starting to type a post where I mention the negative affects of Cinema Sins, & then I clicked the see more recent posts thing & notice that it's just been brought up by someone else in a different way!

But, yeah, there's definitely a certain strain in modern superhero storytelling that feels like a mix between overreaction to Cinema Sins type criticism (which is some of the worst kind possible) & a misapplication of genre deconstruction. Good storytelling considers the implications of various elements while forming the story, but sometimes you gotta be careful what threads you pull & how you pull 'em. Like, when you address collateral damage in Man of Steel, Age of Ultron, Civil War, Batman v Superman, etc., but don't deal with it well enough, you end up with more problems than you started with. Which, is one reason why I'd rather not see "the blip" addressed too deeply going forward. Bringing the real world that deeply into your fantastical world only works if you want that to become the whole central theme, & if you do, you better have something interesting to do or say with it.

It's like how Marvel kinda made Iron Man into a villain through Age of Ultron, Civil War, Homecoming, & Far From Home. If you want that to be your story, awesome. But, if you want him to be the hero we can all root for, pulling all those threads is gonna take its toll on that. (And, in the case of Wanda, I especially don't like the idea of that being the story for her for the reasons I've mentioned before.)

sawhney[rusted]2 and Nathan like this.
  2. wade

*DX CHOP*

Oh I agree. I was just pointing out that if they wanted to give her that forgiveness angle it could easily have happened, but it didn’t, because she’s supposed to be a dick right now.

SpyKi likes this.
  3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Ah, yeah then I agree. That would have been the easy/lame ending.

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Just 'cause that's what they often do, doesn't mean it's good. Maybe it's dumb of some of us to keep hoping for better (though they do get the balance right in just enough of their stuff to keep giving me hope, lol). But, if interconnectedness & seeding the future keeps them from having a satisfying conclusion to the thing at hand, albeit one where it's clear what the next thing will be, then that's a failure worth criticizing.

5. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

We did get some sort of closure. If I wanted complete and ultimate closure from each of these projects, I wouldn’t watch anything mcu. Personally was satisfied with what we got, it’s been fun looking forward to watching these after work each Friday

6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Thoroughly enjoyed WandaVision. Looking forward to Falcon and Winter Soldier next.

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

My fantasy booking was that the Witch fight would have crossed across all the universes of the TV shows Wanda created. I in no way expected that. The fight in the sky just seemed very typical MCU instead of the more interesting stuff we got with the show.

The finale kind of reminded me of the S1 “True Detective” finale or “Breaking Bad” series finale, where it’s disappointing because it’s more or less exactly what you would expect an ending would be in that universe, but hoped it would be a little more interesting, like the episodes that came before it. I still liked it, but didn’t love it. And I thought Agatha’s dialogue was like Disney Channel-level bad.

Also, in no way, does this affect my judgment, but I thought it was hilarious that the feds were so clueless about Jimmy Woo that he’s able to steal a cell phone and make a call when they incarcerate him in the bale of hay corner.

8. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The MCU and JJ Abrams may be the most devastating thing to happen to popular discourse.

I ask that we ask more out of our entertainment, the critiques of this show are more than valid and fundamental problems, and their skill at surface level “feeling” puts a nice sheen over it, but there are real problems going on.

9. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of great stories by not reading the comics, but I think it's allowed me to appreciate these films and shows for what they are instead of how well or poorly they adapted the source material. I enjoy seeing fan theories, but I think it's inevitable that they'll lead to people feeling disappointed or underwhelmed when Quicksilver's just some boner dude and MeFISTo-or-whatever-his-name-is doesn't show up.

It's okay to have legitimate criticisms of things, just don't be a racist/sexist/etc. (TLJ haters bullying KMT off social media comes to mind), and don't be mean about it. Also, just because you can recognize the flaws in something doesn't mean you can't enjoy it (and, inversely, an almost flawless show like Parks and Rec can be rendered unenjoyable simply because there are people on it who turned out to be assholes irl).

Staypositive83 likes this.
  10. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Didn’t love the finals, but liked it. Overall really enjoyed the show. Can’t wait to watch Sebastian Stan punch some faces in next.

11. Yeah, I rewatched Winter Soldier and Civil War yesterday and Sebastian Stan was easily my favorite element of any fight scene.

12. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Civil war is just so dope

phaynes12 and Oskarr like this.
  13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

on some days it’s the best of the MCU imo. still falls under the same trap as this did where feige should pay all crew and cast to stfu and not say things like “this is our take on parallax view” lmao. but it’s still very good.

14. phaynes12

i would encourage all of you, those who liked it and those who did not, to peep the watch’s recent episodes discussing the series.

15. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

So I’d still say that overall I enjoyed the series (with last week’s episode being the high point) but the finale didn’t quite work for me. I expected it to feel “like Marvel” and that’s what I got, but I was hoping for a little more closure than we got and it feels like really critiquing the finale is contingent on what happens in Dr Strange. Which makes sense for Marvel, it’s just not particularly satisfying. Also kind of echoing what Tim said I guess, I don’t quite understand the choice for all the townspeople to be in pain. And I definitely don’t understand all the kids being non-factors in everything. That felt like unnecessarily cruel writing especially given the version of events in House of M.

Cameron, Tim, phaynes12 and 1 other person like this.
  16. tvck

Trusted

I enjoyed this overall. I was more pleased with the end credits stuff than the episode itself. Can’t wait for FAWS

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ll preface this with as others have said, that I had very low expectations for what this show was going to be. Obviously like others was very impressed, and loved last weeks ep. Olsen, and Paul B’s chemistry is just fantastic. Never thought of all the MCU characters I would be emotionally invested in was Wanda, but here we are.

Someone pointed out the finale reminded them of the BB finale, and I definitely got that vibe. Overall very good show, but too neat of a resolution.

My favorite thing about the show was Hahn, and the actress who played Rambeau who I loved in Mad Men.

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I hope to see Teyonah Parris in more stuff!

Zilla likes this.
  19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

She’s definitely going to be in a bunch more Marvel stuff. Secret Invasion and Captain Marvel 2 at the very least.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Cameron like this.
  20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Love to see it

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I forgot she on Mad Men. She’s great.

22. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Thought it was great. I got the emotional payoff with Wanda/Visioon that I wanted. I can shut off my brain enough that I don’t worry much about what the townspeople are thinking, at least not enough to not even satisfied with how it’s handled. She’s a super powerful being, self exile and reflection is about all that can be done to her and the Hulks of the world. Made enough sense for me.

def intrigued to see how this ties into Dr. Strange considering that last scene and Agatha mentioning the sorcerer supreme.

23. phaynes12

she was the best part of the show by far

edit: well, Elizabeth olsen was the best. second best, I guess.

24. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Paul Bettany gave my favorite performance imo

coleslawed and stars143 like this.
  25. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Teyonah Paris rules but her character was pretty shoddily written. Good introduction, not much else