Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Voyage of Time (Malick 2016 for real) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Jun 30, 2016.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I failed to establish the narrative in my head early enough in the film, so my experience was not great. I feel like I will find it a masterpiece next time though, as I know what I'm looking for.

2. Driving2theBusStation Sep 24, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 24, 2016)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Lay the blame at narrator Cate Blanchett’s feet. Okay, not at her directly, she was just reading a script, though if you fed a coffee-house poet a hit of ketamine and led them off on a Malick-inspired riff, their only direction “purple as you can be,” you wouldn’t get something terribly different from the breathy incantation that coats this film front to back. And anyway, Blanchett was the one who actually had to say the line, and this is a direct quote, “Time. Ravaging. Devouring All. What lasts?” so it’s safe to say she’s been through enough.

I mean, if that's the example he used to prove his point about the narration being garbage, I'm not too worried. Unlike the whole "nature and grace" themes in whisper narration in TOL, at least I understand on a fundamental level what that means lol.

Two questions I gotta know the answer to before getting my hopes up at all, if you don't mind answering:

1. Were there dinosaurs?

2. If so, were therapods shown (bipedal carnivorous and omnivorous dinos) as having feathers?

3. Morrissey

Trusted

Ben Croll criticizing the movie just makes it sound that much better.

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

1. Yes

2. I can't recall, but I wanna say no? It was film 6 of 31 over 11 days, so a lot of the details are fuzzy now.

Driving2theBusStation likes this.
  5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

6. Morrissey

Trusted

The most interesting thing about that article is that Weightless is supposedly coming out early 2017.

7. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I'll believe it if the film pops up at Berlin. But that would be amazing.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

It will be a long drought after that. These films have been coming out so close to each other, but people forget how long ago they were filmed. The World War II film will probably take a long time, even though it started filming already.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Morrissey

Trusted

The full-length version is going to come out in 2017.

5 ways Terrence Malick's 'Voyage of Time' will blow your mind

The short IMAX version comes out this Friday, but it looks like it is going to be shown in a lot of museums/science centers/things like that. I will probably be drowning in a hurricane when it comes out so I may have to wait.

10. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This does mean it is getting a wider release than it normally (the IMAX version that is). IMAX website says it will be playing Toronto at our science center, though no dates are given yet. Will gladly be taking a trip when it shows.

11. Morrissey

Trusted

Yeah, that is what I figured. The local theaters with IMAX use it for the big blockbusters, certainly not a Malick film. That was an initial worry, but there are enough of those IMAX theaters in medium-city science centers for it to get traction. It will also be seen by a lot of random visitors that have no idea what they are walking into.

12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

saw the Imax version today. gorgeous visuals. definitely felt short, though. will probably see the theatrical version, too.

13. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

brad's narration made me feel like i was just watching an extended deleted scene from Tree of Life, which isn't a bad thing, necessarily.
    i'm assuming the iphone shot bits were the present day scenes, and they looked pretty good, although definitely a different feel than the rest of the film.

14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

so like do the iPhone bits look lo res? and if not, how?

15. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

not low res, idk how to describe it.
    iphone scenes were a similar feel as To the Wonder, or Boyhood, while the rest were like Cosmos and hi-def nature shots.

16. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

What happened to this movie? Has there been a scrap of info this year about the feature-length version's release date or bluray release?

17. Morrissey

Trusted

The movie has seemingly disappeared. There seems to be no information about either version coming to any sort of home release.

18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think the full version was intended for a theatrical run, just festival showings. I would guess there will be a blu-ray of both versions at some point, but I don't know how long these films that play at museums or science centers usually take to come to home video.

19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I could have seen this in Berlin. But I decided to not spend vacation time watching a movie.

20. Loser

21. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

can you not buy this fucking thing on 4k bluray?!

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  22. Driving2theBusStation Feb 12, 2018
    (Last edited: May 13, 2018)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

There isn't a 4K version and right now the bluray is only out in Europe and Japan (the latter is region-free). There are rumors it might be included in an upcoming Criterion Tree of Life release.

EDIT: No dice on being included on the Criterion release, but maybe it will get it's own later.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  23. Dog with a Blog

I was just saying in another thread how I still need to see this. What’s JP?

24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

still just the IMAX 45 min version, but nice to be able to enjoy it again.