Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vinyl Thread • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cryates, Mar 6, 2016.

1. I've got FOMO bad when it comes to vinyl. Clashes with the contents of my wallet.

stnewton likes this.
  2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Haha, I wish I could buy more stuff, but I've basically just accepted that my collection isn't going to grow that quickly. Makes it more special when I do get to go for a shopping spree or get a bunch of vinyl for Christmas, though.

3. I spent thousands on vinyl in college. I probably don't need to explain how wrong that was. I've calmed down quite a bit since then.

4. Craig Manning

Haha, thousands? Man. I'm just lucky I held off on collecting until AFTER college. Not sure I would have had the self control I do now.

5. I had a job that I totally took for granted. Made $18 from my dorm room. Spent all of it on TBell and records.

6. Craig Manning

$18 wow!

Haha, just kidding. No, I had a pretty good job too, at least during senior year, but I saved a fair amount. Ended up being a very good thing since it took me awhile to start making decent money after I graduated. Probably spent more than I should have on beer, though.

7. See, we had a dry campus and while that wouldn't stop most people—I was sober the whole time. All of my money went to food, gas, and vinyl. But hey, they'll be worth something someday, right?

8. Dealer on that sweet sweet 180g black

jordalsh likes this.
  9. Craig Manning

I spent a lot on gas too. That was probably my main expense because I was in a long distance relationship.

10. Been there done that my friend.

Craig Manning likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

SO glad that part of the relationship is done.

12. Being in a long distance relationship was the worst mistake in my life - I'm assuming it ended up well for you two however

13. Craig Manning

Luckily, our distance was fairly short as far as "long distance" goes, so we never had to go that long without seeing each other. Still not easy, though.

14. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I think I am similar to Craig in my vinyl approach. I didn't get into vinyl in college, luckily. I appreciated the format because I grew up with it, but I didn't start my own collection until a few years after I graduated. I have gone on a few short sprees since, but nothing too terrible. I need to do a discogs page, but I never know which pressing I have. My collection is either on the smaller side or really large if I include my dad's collection that will be passed on to me.

Craig Manning likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

My brother started collecting when I was in college. I basically lived vicariously through him until I could finally start my own.

16. Michael Schmidt

Anyone know the easiest way to find out which pressing you have if there has been a bunch? This is mostly for older records or Tell All Your Friends where there are quite a few pressings and variants.

17. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

I started collecting around 10 years ago when Drive-Thru had a bunch of stuff on their webstore and I thought it would be awesome to own stuff I really enjoyed on vinyl (it is!). I think I picked up The Starting Line, Finch and a bunch of New Found Glory stuff (s/t picture disc, sticks and stones, screen to your stereo 10"). I've been hooked ever since.

18. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

https://deadformat.net/pressinfo OR discogs are usually where I check. There really isn't a solid way of checking that stuff though, which is a huge bummer. I've had a pet project app of mine in the works that will keep track of what records you own and/or want, but I haven't had the time lately to work on it. I REALLY do not like Discogs, but they can be somewhat resourceful in finding pressing info if you can sort through the amount of shit that comes up when you search.

CC: @Michael Schmidt

19. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I've done this for a lot of my old jazz records, and my mom's old records, because turns out a few of them are actually really old pressings. Anyway, look for some kind of a catalog number and then compare it on a site like discogs. On older records the cat # is probably on the spine of the record, but honestly idk where they are on newer ones.

20. Michael Schmidt

I have a Discogs page and it's pretty thin. I agree with you on the search function. Definitely leaves something to be desired.

Not looking forward to this method, but it seems like that's what I will have to do. Some of these classic rock records have so many pressings. I just know they are on the older side, but in awesome condition.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  21. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

This hasn't left the record player in 3 days:

[​IMG]

stnewton likes this.
  22. Craig Manning

As it shouldn't.

Chris Yates likes this.
  23. Michael Schmidt

Pretty sure we have the same record player. Touché!

24. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Nice! I just got it delivered early last week. So much better than my old one.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  25. Michael Schmidt

I got mine a few months ago and loved it for my vinyl listening habits. I wish it had an auto return for the arm because the vintage player that I was using previously had that and it was pretty convenient.