Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vinyl Thread • Page 232

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cryates, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Tyler

Regular Supporter

I mean you can just buy banana plugs for speaker wire :shrug:

SPine likes this.
  2. SPine

Trusted

true

3. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Will this improve sound?

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I guess I’m just ignorant when it comes to speakers. My receiver has options for both speaker wire clip ins (right) and plug ins (left). I feel like banana plugs wouldn’t solve the problem of having the obnoxious copper wires involved. It’s just messy and tangled and complicated to move around.

I’d like to eliminate using the clip ins if I can.
    3AA09E85-4179-44A8-8730-83D934B0D1D1.jpeg

5. Tyler

Regular Supporter

Not really. They're more for convenience and won't wear down your bare speaker wire as fast.

The plug-ins on the right are AV input/outputs not speaker connections. Banana plugs don't look like an option on that receiver.

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Gotcha, so pretty much my only option is to continue with speaker/copper wire with my receiver?

Is that odd for a somewhat newer receiver? Do most newer speakers still contain the speaker wire clip ins?

7. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Is it bad I already want to replace my speakers with better quality speakers? I mean mine work for the price I paid (edifier R980T for $60), but I’m told there are much better options

8. Tyler

Regular Supporter

Seems that way. Not sure if it's odd but every receiver I've purchased since 2013(Onkyo and Denon) has had an option for banana clip usage. It can vary but it's not uncommon to see new speakers use clip ins.

ncarrab likes this.
  9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

This is helpful. Thanks

10. mesi

Regular

There will always be better options, it’s called the upgrade bug. There will always be better equipment than the one we own right now.
    If you’re really serious about this, I would save up though and grab some good speakers down the road, instead of upgrading in small increments.

11. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

True, may be what I have to do. As it stands now my speakers sound good with vinyl, but not much different than a car stereo with CDs. I know vinyl has much more potential

12. atlas

Trusted

for the other Hum fans in here

sean_rugy and ship90 like this.
  13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

hmm I don't think vinyl has a necessarily better sound than cds I just think its different. You get a warmer sound with vinyl, and audiophiles swear by it. But you can also get lossless digital files that sound incredible as well.

14. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I know I’ve seen people around the site somewhat recently say vinyl doesn’t sound that good, which I can accept but I would’ve bet my life the consensus before I got my table was that a main reason you buy it is because it sounds better, and to me at least that intuitively makes sense. Perhaps I misunderstood/extrapolated at the time but I’d be interested to read more about it. That said I do agree it sounds warmer and I like it, but for all I know that’s just a consequence of using my best speakers on the table.

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s 100 percent a different sound bc it’s analog and not digital. I just wouldn’t say one is better than the other, just different

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I get that now, but what I was trying to say is that my initial impression was that analog is inherently better because no info is lost to digitizing the sound wave. I guess that’s still true, no? My understanding is that there are just too many other factors for that to make analog definitively better.

17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

If you are using lossless wav files it’s the same thing. Most music is recorded digitally so no info is lost.

disambigujason likes this.
  18. radiodead

Trusted

If I’m going to pay for music media it’s going to be physical and it’s going to be vinyl.

Outside of “the sound” there is a deliberate and methodical way of listening to vinyl. To me there is always more of an appreciation to what I’m actually listening to, because I’ve taken the time to pull it out of the sleeve and put it on my turntable and flip sides.

I feel like there is an emotional connection that is lost with streaming digital files on a computer or phone. It’s so easy to take what’s in front of you for granted when you can skip around, rewind, click forward, zone out.

The album as a singular document has always been my single greatest interest in music, and it’s why I prefer listening to music in LP format.

ncarrab, coleslawed and johnnyferris like this.
  19. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

I also enjoy the methodical nature of listening to something on vinyl. I love the larger-scale album art and packaging, and being able to look at the grooves and see exactly where each track begins and ends. It takes artists years to create those albums, and the tediousness of listening on vinyl feels like showing that effort the proper reverence.

coleslawed and radiodead like this.
  20. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

21. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

I love getting to dive in and fall in love with an album in the weeks or even months before the vinyl actually arrives.

Then, when I can spin it on vinyl, I get to relive and enjoy a new way of experiencing a record with it's packaging and presentation, and the nuances I sometimes didn't notice on my digital experiences.

22. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Fun fact I got into vinyl bc I accidentally ordered one thinking it was a CD. Once I got it I understood why the product description included the words cherry cola... but yea I thought it was so cool to have significantly larger artwork and to this day that’s a big selling point to me. They just look great.

23. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

This is the most recent album on my mind from my previous post about why I love vinyl.

24. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

This is true but I also still like CDs. Partly because I have a CD player in my car, partly because I have so many CDs and have maybe to trick myself in thinking they are awesome, but mostly because I have so many good memories attached to the medium from my youth.

25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Home sick, spinning this bad boy