Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory (June 23, 2017) Album • Page 19

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GettingSodas, Apr 18, 2017.

1. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I didn't like Big Fish on release because it was too similar to Norf Norf, but I've gotten over that. If I had to choose a least favorite, it'd be that one though.

2. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

best tracks are 745 and bagbak

maybe

3. Bane

The spiciest meme

Oh god I don't wanna choose a worst song.

My top 3 are still Yeah Right, Big Fish, and Bagbak

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  4. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Honestly if you skip any track you're kinda craaazy

5. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Top 3
    Love Can Be, 745, Big Fish

6. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I can't even choose a top 3. (Crabs in a Bucket is No.1 though)

7. StreetSpirit

play the blues, punk Supporter

Whaaat, I think Rain Come Down is SOTY material and one of Vince's best, especially lyrically (no small feat). Out of curiosity, what about it do people not like?

GettingSodas likes this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Rain Comes Down feels lifeless if you take out the lyrics, that's the only thing that captures the song for me

9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I don't think it fits the album at all

10. cherrywaves

Trusted

How? Musically it has that vaguely club electro production, lyrics are very much in line with the album's themes, etc etc

11. StreetSpirit

play the blues, punk Supporter

Yeah, i think it fits the album fine; musically, I guess the beat isn't quite as off-the-wall as some of the other tracks but I think it draws from the same sonic well, especially the outro, with that perfectly placed ambience hitting at around the 3:45 mark. Lyrically, as others have said, it's incredible, Vince makes it sound effortless, and it encapsulates the themes of the album well.

GettingSodas and cherrywaves like this.
  12. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I love the part in Rain Come Down when there's a little synth line that follows the melody of Ty singing "in the middle of the night". I'm pretty sure it only happens once but it catches my ear every single time

PandaBear! and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

For some reason, I can't get into "SAMO." It just drags to the point where I skip it. Everything else is great though.

14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Line to get into Pitchfork was absurd. I missed Vince :( I heard parts of his set from the line which was nice but also made it worse because I could hear what I was missing.

15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

The lyrics are great - probably the best on the album - but the hook feels pretty out of place and the beat feels extremely tame after everything else

16. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

on initial listen this was probably my least favorite vince release but its grown on me a ton. i dont know if there is a track i really dislike. SAMO is actually one of my favs.

yeah right
    love can be

those are def my top 3

GettingSodas likes this.
  17. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

SAMO was initially my least favorite but I've grown to love it's place on the album and how it paces the album as well. Also, it is justttt shy of being cheesy

18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

My top 3 was Crabs in a Bucket, Yeah Right, and Samo, but seeing him live has completely changed things. Yeah Right is still up there, but the other two might be 745 and Party People. I feel like BagBak is also left out of the convo because it's been out so long but it's probably up there in the top 10 Vince Staples tracks.

19. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

There can be a case for almost every song on this album tbf. Speaks to how good this album is

20. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

That would have happened to me except I moved to the under 21 line and got in way quicker. I wasn't planning on drinking anyways. Sorry you had to miss it.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  21. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea I didn't even know they were separate lines, it was very weird. And I didn't even get a wristband at the door, so the under/over 21 line was pointless. Oh well I'm sure he'll do a full tour supporting Big Fish Theory soon so I'll catch him there. Glad you got to see him!

ChiliTacos likes this.
  22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Same. Also Crabs

23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I mean it's the closer, it'd be weird if after the wild ass album the album ended on a wild note. It feels like a come down. A little bleak, a little despondent.

24. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Yeah I like the pull back of it. There's a time and place for grandiose album closers and I like the restraint.

Also, it's a great lead-in to go ahead and start this thing right over

25. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

he wasn't going to do anything crazier than bagbak imo. i always forget its on this album because i literally listened to it 200 times as a single. it might be my fav of all time from him.