Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Video Games [ARCHIVED] Video Game • Page 465

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I think Sunshine is the best 3D Mario fight me

The Lucky Moose and Joe4th like this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Sunshine is so underrated, I hate that it has a negative reputation. It's a great game (but not the best sorry I will take you up on that fight offer).

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  3. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

It is though

4. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I play it regularly because it’s one of my all time favorites but I do now think some gameplay related stuff drags it down just a little compared to some other 3D Mario games. I don’t think it’s the best anymore, but it is my favorite and still like an actual 9.

Anthony_ and ECV like this.
  5. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

for Picross fans, i highly recommend the Pixel Puzzles mobile app Konami released for its 50th anniversary. tons of puzzles and totally free with no mtx.

6. Anthony_

It may just be recency bias but honestly I think Odyssey might be my favorite 3D Mario game. It might even be my favorite Mario platformer, period. The weirdness and creativity is turned all the way up to 11 in that game and I loved every second of it.

Although Super Mario 64 is the nostalgia champ so I could give that one the crown any day as well.

Regardless, Sunshine is a great game and deserves to be in consideration for top Mario games of all time for sure.

The Lucky Moose and AFoolsGlory like this.
  7. currytheword

Trusted

Mario Kart for the PS4. And then I woke up.

8. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Wtf Sunshine is underappreciated? I thought everyone loved that game.

sean_rugy likes this.
  9. Anthony_

Believe it or not, it actually is

Joe4th likes this.
  10. Shrek

I love Odyssey but certain kingdoms seem bigger than justified, particularly Sand Kingdom. i don't really want sprawling levels in a platformer to this degree. Mario 64, Galaxy, and 3D World levels were more fun because they were more compartmentalized but still offered a ton of secrets.

Galaxy 2 is my fav Mario game and 3D platformer of all time and I think its gonna be hard to top. Give me a remaster that removes the necessity for motion controls by reworking star pieces and you have my perfect Mario game.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  11. Shrek

Sunshine is like FFXII in that it was underappreciated for like 10 years and now most people appreciate it pretty adequately imo. It is constantly at the top of discussions about most desired ports and remakes for Switch. i played it a bit on Dolphin a couple of years ago but without analog triggers it was fucky.

12. Shrek

triple post but i also hate some of the star objectives in Odyssey. im never gonna even try for the jump rope one. i also think the Festival section was real overhyped, people were saying it made them cry and it was not that special imo. i expected something that was a celebration of Mario's entire growth but it was just like the other 2D sections with some DK skin. it's a phenomenal game though and a 9/10 for me on its worst day

13. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I don't really get what makes something 'underappreciated' when it got great marks when it came out and is still loved today. I'm sure Cam and Ant have a snarky response for me.

15. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

Sunshine is under-appreciated because no one bought a GameCube.

Jake W likes this.
  16. CobraKidJon

GameCube is the best console

17. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

The sale numbers are p solid but yeah, surprisingly low.

18. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

I think another problem is that the games before and after were way more obviously impressive (esp 64 for its time) than Sunshine, so it's only natural it'd be overshadowed.

19. CobraKidJon

GameCube really had the best soccer game in Mario strikers and the best baseball game in the Mario baseball one.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Best Wrestling games too

21. CobraKidJon

I didn’t realize a Mario wrestling game came out

Jake W likes this.
  22. Anthony_

ur a doof

23. Shrek

there is an endless amount of games that got great critical response but weren't as appreciated by the average player because they were too much of a departure from the established formula or were released late in a console cycle or on a handheld etc. Wind Waker is an example too to some extent, despite being successful. it spent most of its release year as a punching bag online and people picked up pitchforks over it. now it's weird if you dont love it. a game doesn't have to be a failure or despised to be underappreciated. Sunshine is one of the only Mario games to never get any form of rerelease.

24. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

25. Anthony_

I'll just also add that, anecdotally, I've seen a lot of people, both that I know personally and that I've seen online, speak negatively about Sunshine for years.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.