Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Video Games [ARCHIVED] Video Game • Page 295

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I don't want it to fail but I am hoping Microsoft takes the concept and perfects it.

currytheword likes this.
  2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Fixed it for you.

Dreamcast 2, baby!

Jake W likes this.
  3. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Team Dreamcast 2

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  4. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I'm all about the gamecast

5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

currytheword likes this.
  6. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

IMG_20190320_101438.jpg

7. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I had dreamcast on motherfuckin day ONE

theagentcoma likes this.
  8. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

9/9/99

9. Jake W

zigbigwig, Shrek and Fucking Dustin like this.
  10. tvck

Trusted

You have a very all or nothing view of this. You think Sony/Microsoft will just disappear if Google figures this out? I don't see that at all.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Never said any of that

12. tvck

Trusted

Sorry, should've put a "do" at the beginning of my question. It was a legitimate question.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  13. Windowsdown

I legitimately do not give a shit about this. I'm not a PC gamer, I hate playing anything on a smartphone/tablet... Also, renting games online / games on demand is nothing new. This does nothing for me. *Fart noise*

14. Anthony_

Google is a juggernaut of a corporation with endless resources and some of the brightest minds in the world working there. If they gain an early foothold in this market, a market that many people (including in this thread) think is the future of gaming, it will be very hard for anyone else to unseat them. Microsoft and Sony have their own versions of streaming either in the works or out there already, but Stadia is real now, launching this year, and has the backing of Google behind it every step of the way. I don't think Microsoft and Sony will "go away", of course they'll try to compete, but they're going to be playing from way behind if this thing takes off. And I absolutely do not want Google in the driver's seat of this evolution of the industry.

15. Jake W

From what I've read it, this is going to launch with a very limited amount of games. Ubisoft have had to develop another version of Odyssey for this, it's not just the PC version. If this is going to be the future of gaming, then it's going to take years. Even if the Sony/Microsoft versions take a couple of more years to launch, I doubt they will be very behind as they're already in the industry, have their first party studios etc

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  16. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

Microsoft has a real foot in the game right now with Project xCloud. They are working on expanding Xbox Live services to mobile and other platforms. It seems likely it will be released in 2020 but public testing will happen this year.

They've made it clear that they don't think static hardware is the future for the Xbox platform.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  17. Anthony_

Right, I'm obviously aware of this and also that it won't launch this year. So it doesn't change anything I said.

18. tvck

Trusted

With how gaming tech is evolving, especially with PC hardware and what it can accomplish, static hardware (i.e. consoles) will have to go away. It's kind of crazy that developers get held back because of consoles that are behind almost as soon as they drop, and are meant to last several years or longer.

19. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

Ah, I guess I was just posting it as it didn't seem like people knew about it. Wasn't like an attack or anything.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Don't you think a lot of people will be hesitant to buy a gaming platform from google, who yeah is a mammoth of a company, but has little experience in the gaming world (As far as I know)? Especially if Microsoft and Sony announce they will be following suit?

Nate_Johnson and tvck like this.
  21. tvck

Trusted

Exactly. No way in hell Google gains a large portion of the market. They still have the history/expertise of Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft to compete against. It'll take time for people to buy in. And if Sony/Microsoft are rolling out similar options, people will more than likely gravitate towards those first.

Nate_Johnson and oldjersey like this.
  22. Anthony_

I don't know how people will receive this. Whole point of what I originally said was I don't know if it will be successful or not, I just personally want it to fail.

23. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I think a lot of whether Stadia will be a success or not will depend on the software that comes to it. People are forgetting that Sony and Microsoft have 20 year headstart in exclusive IP and first party studios. If Google is serious about this, they'll purchase some studios to fill out their gaming department. They absolutely need exclusive games to make it work. Simply saying that you can just play your normal games here instead probably won't be enough to make most jump ship. Being able to play the next 95/100 rated game will.

Nate_Johnson, oldjersey and Jake W like this.
  24. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Haha but you just hyped the fuck outta Google doing it!!

It's going to be a super interesting new chapter in gaming. I just don't like counting on internet connection to stream for games but I guess there's always hard wiring my connection, which isn't that much of a pain in the ass.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  25. Anthony_

I didn't hype anything. I'm looking at the issue from both sides because Google has a lot of advantages that outweigh the fact that it isn't historically a games company. It's too complicated and unpredictable of a situation to say "Google will dominate" or "Google will fail" definitively right now.

I personally don't think the world is ready for game streaming at the moment. I don't think the infrastructure is there and I don't think gamers want it. I know for a fact that competitive/professional gamers don't want it. And there are the classic issues of further stripping ownership of games away from players and the problems with preservation of gaming history. I'm against this and the more I think about it the more against it I am. Plus, like I've said, if this is actually inevitable then I don't want Google at the forefront of it at all.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.