Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Video Games [ARCHIVED] Video Game • Page 294

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. tvck

Trusted

I highly doubt they go the route of making you pay for each game. I fully expect this to be a subscription service. But obviously anything is speculation at this point.

serotonin likes this.
  2. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

I highly doubt this is a piecemeal system. It seems like its designed for a subscription service. The utility of having a YouTube video with a play now button that first requires you to go through a transaction seems like it would defeat the purpose and takes it far outside of that "5 seconds until you're playing" unless you're just watching random videos of games you already own.

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  3. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

I've just booted up the PS4 excited to play the new Overwatch hero. To be greeted by a patch. No problem, internet wired in the download takes 20 seconds. The file has been "copying" for about 10 minutes now (my controlled just disconnected which shows how long it is) and is only 67% of the way through.

Maybe Google are on to something with this streaming idea...

4. tvck

Trusted

Welcome to Sony. It's absolutely ridiculous that they download the patches so quickly, but then proceed to copy the entire game with the patch included. Destiny suffers greatly from this.

5. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Yeah, I was mostly joking with the Google thing, but it's a joke. Still going here, 95% now. Just a terrible, terrible way of doing it. Fortnite with its near weekly patches fucked me every time. I always get screwed with the "download in rest mode" too, as leaving the application open in rest mode prevents the download.

6. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I think in theory it will work but some people’s internet speed may not be able to handle it.

I’m definitely interested to see how it plays out.

7. Google stuff is cool but not for me. Would be cool to see how this tech moves the industry forward tho

8. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I definitely think Google and Microsoft are on the same page and the next generation of consoles, gaming, etc will be interesting.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

plat'd Just Cause 4. FUCK THIS GAME. Will never touch it again. lol. Only did it cuz it was super easy. Just time consuming.

10. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I don't think the Just Cause series is good.

RyanRyan, chris and Jake W like this.
  11. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Just Cause 3 is the worst game I've played this gen

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  12. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Just Cause 3 was a PS3 game that got pushed back. It looked and played like it too.

I hated it.

Jake W likes this.
  13. The Lucky Moose Mar 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 20, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

As far as I know Just Cause 3 was a lot better on PC, it was one of a range games from this gen that were basically broken on consoles but great on PC

14. The Lucky Moose

I think no matter how exactly this Google thing will work in terms of monetization and ownership (like I said, I’m under no illusion that most of the current gen games I own will be playable in 15 years), I’m sure not buying an expensive console or PC to play AAA games is a very attractive idea to millions and millions of people that already have good enough internet. I think denying that is pointless. I’m certainly intrigued and my internet, although not even near the best in the country, is definitely good enough. Given how little time I actually spend playing these days, not spending all that money on a box (Xbox, PS) that I personally (and a lot of mainstream gamers too) mostly use to play non-exclusive games that will likely also be on this thing, the math kinda works out in Google’s favor.

15. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I love how there's already people on the internet saying it's going to fail. Like you don't think it's going to fail, you WANT it to fail. There's a big difference.

16. The Lucky Moose

It might, but if so it will be due to execution and not the idea itself, because someone is going to make this happen. Maybe Google, maybe Microsoft, maybe Amazon, maybe all. There’s no way video games alone will resist this larger development. That’s not to say dedicated hardware will go away anytime soon, for a number of reasons (which also differ on the hardware in question), but the market for it will become increasingly different (again, how different will depend on the hardware).

Jake W likes this.
  17. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I follow two smite streamers and they are both going at war with each other calling each other toxic and I’m laughing so hard at this.

sophos34 likes this.
  18. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

link me

19. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

they’ve been throwing sly shots at each other for the longest time but now they are actually making content.

20. The Lucky Moose

Btw I do wish it was Microsoft. Not because of the Xbox, but because of the three companies most likely to make this happen, I “trust” them the most tbh. Maybe that’s misguided but it is what it is.

Arry and Nate_Johnson like this.
  21. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I’m interested to see what games people will have access to. Obviously Ubisoft is on board.

22. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I could definitely see them competing in the near future.

Get a year subscription with every pc! Lol

23. The Lucky Moose Mar 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 20, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

Yeah I mean I do think they will take a shot at it. What I meant what is I’d rather have them be the company setting the tone and standards than Google. I’ll still probably use Stadia though if it works well.

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I liked Just Cause 3 a lot. The oil rig thing was so much fun for me.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  25. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I'll go on the record as saying I hope Stadia fails. I don't know if it will, it's obviously too soon to make a prediction like that and Google has the resources to brute force it even if it doesn't catch on immediately, but I want it to. I don't trust Google and don't want them to have that kind of power over gaming. I'm not really a huge fan of the entire concept in general, but if it's going to become the standard I don't want Google to be the one who gets the most market share.

Joe4th likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.