Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Video Games [ARCHIVED] Video Game • Page 836

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Spent the day playing Fire Emblem, just started Act 4. Turned Faye into an unstoppable bruising Falcon Knight. I just start battles by sending her straight at each boss because she literally takes care of any in 1 turn and turns aside archers like nothing. It's kind of hilarious. Every other character is more even-powered against the enemy, not her. :P

2. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Just got the platinum for Paladins, that's number 14.

lightning13 likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The graphical fidelity in that Far Cry 5 bar trailer is so good it's spooky

4. The Lucky Moose May 28, 2017
    (Last edited: May 28, 2017)
    The Lucky Moose

Video Games Are Better Without Stories

This article by video game academic Ian Bogost caused an uproar a few weeks ago. I suspect most of the people that sent out angry tweets did not get past the provocative headline The Atlantic chose, because the article is really interesting and does not at all demand that developers should stop putting stories in their games. Instead it criticizes the idea that storytelling should be the end goal of video games as a medium and makes a case for what the author believes to be the actual core competency of video games (which I won't spoil). The author makes both of these points largely by dissecting one game (What Remains Of Edith Finch). It's a pretty good read not matter what you think of his conclusion.

5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Should have picked a better headline, ha.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  6. The Lucky Moose

I mean I guess they wanted clicks and reactions and they got them. Headline culture is bankrupt anyway.

7. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

That article is great. I fully agree that games should stop trying to emulate other mediums and instead be based around what they do that is unique.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  8. The Lucky Moose May 28, 2017
    The Lucky Moose

Yeah I also agree with a lot of it. That's not why I shared it though, I think it's a great article about the nature of games no matter what your opinion is.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  9. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

The guy on the front of the Far Cry 5 box art looks like Jesse from Killswitch Engage.

10. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Since graduating a week ago, all I've really done is sit on the couch, watch tv, and play video games. Yesterday was the first time in years where I actually sat on the couch all day and played games. I've missed it. I completed the Mirror cc in Mario Kart and got through a good chunk of Stick of Truth. I think I'm close to the end so I'm probably going to try and beat it by the end of the day.

Hayley P, Cameron, tucah and 3 others like this.
  11. GettingSodas

Same but I graduated 2 years ago

12. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I honestly expected to be playing Injustice 2 straight through to Crash HD's release, but Friday The 13th is excellent and just as I imagined. If you're into that type of game, and don't mind waiting to get into a session, it's a lot of fun.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  13. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

All day I have been thinking "Man I want to play more Dead Rising 4...."

14. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

mad max is starting to get even more fun now that I left the beginner area.

GettingSodas and aspeedomodel like this.
  15. GettingSodas

I need to finish Mad Max...

16. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished the main quest in Stick of Truth. That final boss was damn hard, was probably working on it for more than an hour. Blast of a story though. Very excited for Fractured, But Hole.

Cameron and johnnyferris like this.
  17. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

I'm a fan of this writeup because it focuses on one of my main frustrations and maybe hypcrotical stance with the video game industry - which is that both consumers and producers I feel like have a low ceiling for what makes a game good - that as long as the story exists and it 'feels' cinematic then we'll give it praise. On one hand it upsets me because gameplay stops becoming the sole priority when we tell game devs that "hey we buy your shit and give it good reviews even if the gameplay is average and sometimes broken. But make sure the story can make up for it!" Because they will keep doing that. I mean I'm all up for story, but make sure the gameplay is awesome. Like if you're going to do an open world don't brag about the size of your game. Pick a reasonable map size and focus on making every nook and cranny of that area well designed and fun to be in. And I don't think the internet is doing a good job on fleshing that out when the most reposted stuff for open world games are comparisons on how big the map sizes are for different games.

But on the other, one of my favorite games - Mass Effect - is exactly that, a game with great lore and decent gameplay they haven't been able to perfect. And I keep on hoping that the next one they finally will and that makes me feel like I'm part of the problem.

I mean I look at Super Mario 3D World and just admire how polished it is. How there's so little filler and how every space of the map is maximized to add something to the game, how the areas have clever tells on letting you know where the secrets are. It's just so carefully crafted, and I feel a bit frustrated how that part of video games get way less noise. Granted it was released on Wii U so that might be a bad example. But the point is I feel like as consumers we're not critical enough to point out the lack of polish in gameplay and game design because we get so swayed by the cinematic experiences.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. Or I'm a traditional old man who's having a hard time keeping up, but I always look forward to games like Transistor taking center stage than big franchises that gets 'refreshed' every 2-3 years. I mean it's not something I lose sleep over but it's def something I think about every now and then.

Hiding under a rock now!

18. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Just bought the Friday the 13th game after watching a stream of it. Looks so fun

carrytheweight likes this.
  19. Started Nier Automata. Played for like 3 hours straight. What a ridiculously fun game.

SpyKi and Cameron like this.
  20. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

playing mad max

makes me want to watch mad max

also this video game is fake

because max actually talks in the game HE SHOULDNT TALK he only grunts and sighs

21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Same. I'm about 2 hours in, and quite smitten.

SpyKi likes this.
  22. zigbigwig

23. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Damn, I should play that just to know why it gets so much hate.

Dirty Sanchez and GettingSodas like this.
  24. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Like is it really that bad? Or is it classic Internet hyperbole?

25. zigbigwig May 28, 2017
    zigbigwig

I think it was because Hello games themselves were hyping the game up and were mentioning things that weren't even in the final product.

If this was released more quietly I think it would have been received way better.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.