Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Video Games : Game Harder JFG Edition [ARCHIVED] Video Game • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by oldjersey, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Lol if you thought there was nothing wrong with what you were saying you wouldn’t have deleted that post that was right between my last two

2. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The whole game is about violent revenge (based on what I’ve seen), the initial trailer showed people torturing a girl and breaking her arms. I get the idea of suggesting whether it has meaning but that can be said for so many other things in our collective culture to where I honestly have to scoff at someone writing an article based on this, it’s just absurd to me. If that’s shitty on my part; I’m sorry but I’m not gonna take that seriously when that was the “I need to say something about this!” point for the writer.

Vase Full Of Rocks and RyanRyan like this.
  3. RyanRyan Jun 14, 2020
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2020)
    RyanRyan

Because I was rehashing my point about violence? What in God’s name does that have to do about the writer being LGBTQ? You make some strange posts sometimes but this one really wasn’t subtle.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  4. Anthony_

Also nobody here read the piece, obviously, because it’s pretty clear if you actually read it that she isn’t saying “this game is too violent” at all. She’s saying that, for a game that purports to make a grand statement about the human condition and all that supposed high-mindedness, it ultimately doesn’t really say anything deeper than “murder is probably bad”.

Joe4th likes this.
  5. RyanRyan

One of the subheadings is literally titled ‘the gorgeous places you’ll see (to do your murders)’ or something. It’s hard not to read into it. But yes, go off about the writer’s personal life and imply THAT about us. Good lord I’ve seen some nonsense on these threads but this about takes the biscuit

Vase Full Of Rocks and Anthony_ like this.
  6. Anthony_

lmao sounds good dude

7. DarkHotline

I read the article, it didn’t say anything you couldn’t say about a violent game, a war/horror movie, etc. I get what you’re saying and I apologize if I come as ignorant, but to make this game the one we talk about meaningless violence and murder is just silly, especially with it being one of the last major releases this generation. That’s all

Vase Full Of Rocks and RyanRyan like this.
  8. Anthony_

It’s not silly if the game holds itself out as some deep examination of humanity and then turns out to have the depth of a kiddie pool. That’s absolutely a conversation worth having, especially considering this person has actually played the game. I figured I’d post a review that I enjoyed reading, by a writer and podcaster that I enjoy reading/listening to, because I thought it was worth having a serious discussion about. That’s not what I got though unfortunately.

9. DarkHotline

Now that said, there is something to be said about violence in gaming and maybe this leads to a broader, better discussion. That’s cool too.

RyanRyan likes this.
  10. Anthony_

There’s nothing wrong with violence in gaming. But there’s a reason why this is a discussion worth having about TLOU2 versus a game like Borderlands 3, which is a cartoon and isn’t trying to pretend like it has a deep philosophical message that needs to be told.

Whether or not it accomplishes its stated mission is a valid question to ask.

11. RyanRyan

The problem here is that you immediately jumped into implying something pretty vile about us because you have knowledge of the writer that evidently we didn’t. It was entirely irrelevant and you know that. You made it about something completely different.

12. Anthony_

some pretty unnecessarily mean, condescending af stuff was being said about someone who I respect as a critic and whose perspective I value, forgive me for not taking that in stride

13. RyanRyan

It literally had nothing to do with the writer’s sexuality or gender and you know it. I genuinely assumed it was a male to begin with anyway (which admittedly is bad, but goes to show furthermore the intent you implied wasn’t there) - their gender has zero impact on the topic we were discussing and wasn’t mentioned in the slightest. You posted an article, we disagreed. It was as simple as that.

14. Anthony_

why would you do that though, like how does that make it better

15. RyanRyan

Read the post. I said it was bad? Now you’re taking it out of context hahaha. You’re only proving my point more.

16. DarkHotline

We honestly shouldn’t fight over this.

RyanRyan likes this.
  17. RyanRyan Jun 14, 2020
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2020)
    RyanRyan

We shouldn’t, but people should learn not to attempt to weaponise LGBTQ issues that had zero bearing on our conversation in order to get some sort of moral high ground when someone disagrees with them. Personally think that’s pretty gross.

18. RyanRyan

Anyway I’m done giving them any more of my time because fuck me was that unnecessary.

Anthony_ likes this.
  19. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Weaponizing LBTG issues undermines your point.

There was no statement made by anyone here about the person's sexuality or beliefs in LGBT issues until you got defensive about a writer/reviewer you respect.

Getting upset at people taking shots or not liking something you like is understandable, but to make the assumption it has something to do with their LGBT stance says a lot more about you than you should be comfortable with.

OwainGlyndwr and RyanRyan like this.
  20. Vase Full Of Rocks Jun 15, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2020)
    Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Also (to my knowledge), no one here has played the game. It's easy for us to make all these statements and broad opinions on reviews because we have no detailed context to what they are talking about, only the big picture. The game might easily get on its high horse and think it's the most important thing in media since Citizen Kane, but it also might make a dozen other points that are being overshadowed by this one theme. I really don't know yet.

But I myself sometimes have trouble with reviews such as that one where they seemingly try so hard to buck the trend to the point where it's all they focus on. It feels like it detracts from any of the other points they're trying to make.

OwainGlyndwr and RyanRyan like this.
  21. RyanRyan Jun 15, 2020
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2020)
    RyanRyan

Furthermore, implying that about our takes on a review of a game in which the fucking protagonist is LGBTQ is just baffling

Anthony_ likes this.
  22. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

23. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Always nice when the thread becomes a shitshow but I wasn't involved lol

24. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

RDR2 is an excellent game

RyanRyan likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.