Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Video Games : Game Harder JFG Edition [ARCHIVED] Video Game • Page 353

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by oldjersey, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

@Colby Searcy Have you heard of Visage? It's out now on PS4. One of the scariest games I've ever played. I'm loving it.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Anyone here play Below? I remember it getting pretty mediocre reviews when it came out, mostly due to its difficulty, but I am a couple hours in and loving it. There is no tutorial or explanation of what you are doing in the game so its a bit of a learning curve but its atmosphere is incredible and its giving me the same feeling I had when I played Dark Souls for the first time.

SpyKi and mescalineeyes like this.
  3. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

It’s great until it isn’t. It depends how much of the tedium you can stomach

StormAndTheSun likes this.
  4. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Good to know. I feel like I have a pretty high tolerance for tedium.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  5. RyanRyan

Finally got Dark Souls 3 lmao. Was a tenner on the store and I’m jealous of PS5 folk with demon’s souls so sigh this’ll do lol. Having a lot of fun though. Only played Bloodborne and Sekiro so I’m enjoying it

SpyKi and mescalineeyes like this.
  6. mescalineeyes

I mean just the gameplay alone Dark Souls 3 is miles beyond Demon's Souls.

7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

DS3 is my fav of the trilogy easily

8. mescalineeyes

Godfall’s performance mode runs at 1350p on the PS5.
    Yikes.

9. RyanRyan

Isn’t performance mode supposed to be downgraded visuals for 60- and higher FPS? Isn’t that the point lmao

AFoolsGlory likes this.
  10. mescalineeyes

Yes but it’s still extremely low. Like that’s almost 1080p.

11. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Out of interest, what do other games performance modes run at? I thought the aim was 1080p + 60FPS on performance and 4K + 30FPS on fidelity? I'm sure I remember Digital Foundry talking about that for Miles Morales.

12. mescalineeyes Nov 23, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 23, 2020)
    mescalineeyes

between 1512 and 1440p

honestly this is quite shocking to me too. I thought the ps5 was more powerful than that. Hmmmmm.

Valhalla runs at 1800p and above at an almost locked 60 so there’s that also, but I understand it’s not as impressive from a graphics standpoint.

edit: correction on Valhalla

The lowest measured pixel count is 1440p (67 per cent of native 4K on either axis) while the maximum is 1728p (80 per cent native)

yikes #2

edit 2: Demon's Souls is also 1440p at 60fps.

13. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

1080p even is fine though, let alone more

14. mescalineeyes

I mean if you don't care about image quality that's perfectly fine but the fact is that these 10+ Tflops boxes can't do 4k 60 on the reg is disappointing.

15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I started playing Bloodborne again, god help me. I plan to actually make it past the blood starved beast this time.

Contender, SpyKi and mescalineeyes like this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I think the rate of diminishing returns sets in fast after 1080p. Framerate is a different story.

17. mescalineeyes

I feel like debating what is and what isn’t acceptable image quality is besides the point bud, the fact is that at this point in time these machines are coming in below (at least my) expectations.

The Lucky Moose, uuu and phaynes12 like this.
  18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

You can do it!

19. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I played it back in 2015 and took a ton of tries to beat Cleric Beast and Gascoigne. Got past them in 2 tries this time, so maybe I can!

SpyKi likes this.
  20. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

60 FPS >>>>>>>> 30 FPS

fidelity graphics >> performance graphics

this is coming from someone who plays on one of those really nice LG OLEDs that’s straight up built to execute on the promise of what fidelity modes are supposed to offer

21. mescalineeyes

I agree with this statement, but again, I am not trying to discuss the merits of performance over fidelity, I am merely saying that I expected less compromise.

especially as an owner of an LG CX myself.

fuck maybe that god damn Series X is the way to go after all.

uuu likes this.
  22. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

does the series x offer better resolutions @ 60 FPS?

23. mescalineeyes

it is, on paper, the more powerful machine, so in theory, yes. (we're talking about 15%)

(even though AC: Valhalla, as of right now, runs worse on Series X than PS5, and in DMC V they essentially trade blows)

RobbieBerns likes this.
  24. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

25. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I haven't bought a video game system since 2006 (PS3) and I haven't touched it since 2012.

Today, I left work to buy a Nintendo Switch (mostly for my son) from Kohl's. It comes with Mario Kart, three months of free online membership and $90 in Kohls cashback.

What are some must-buy games for the Switch? Both for kids and adults.

I literally know nothing about it.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.