Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Video Game Music

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by aranea, Mar 12, 2016.

1. aranea Mar 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 12, 2016)
    aranea

Trusted Prestigious

2. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Ooooooh gonna lurk all over this thread. I really like movie/TV scores and such, but I've been wanting to get more into video game scores.

Also, Pro Tip: video game scores are great to have on while trying to do homework, write papers, etc.

Threads, Timmiluvs and lightning13 like this.
  3. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

THIS IS ME!! oh my goodness. You should have seen the grin on my face when you said this! For some reason I felt alone on this, haha. It definitely helps me get through working.

4. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Supernova, ChaseTx, Threads and 2 others like this.
  5. Meerkat

It's music crafted to make you concentrate and absorb whatever you're doing, so it works really great as a study aid. I would always do it with movie scores, but video game music is a lot better for it.

Threads and lightning13 like this.
  6. Timmiluvs

Music scores are so important to me in games. If the music doesn't add a certain level of depth to the game or if it doesn't help you get absorbed into the game then I think it's doing something wrong.

Also, having them in the background while working is also my favorite thing.

Threads and lightning13 like this.
  7. Threads

Regular Prestigious

I absolutely love video game music. The Silent Hill 2 soundtrack is one of my most played albums overall.

Some of my favorites don't help with studying as much as they're for horror titles and thus can be on the noisier and/or moodier end. I'll try to get back with a list of my favorites tracks soon after I have some time to think about it.

8. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Undertale OST!

Gage, Nick and PyramidPostcard like this.
  9. Sophos

Regular

this song samples the little fairy from zelda. much of this album sounds like a video game soundtrack

and then something like this is like straight out of an old school cartoony racing game or something, its amazing

this record is definitely my go to in nice weather or while im playing video games

Threads likes this.
  10. Sophos

Regular

and apparently this samples final fantasi vi. a lot of his music is heavily inspried by video games too and there's a ton of songs he has where he's sampled stuff, like i know he has something where he sampled donkey kong

11. Sophos

Regular

not exactly what the thread is about i know but i think its super relevant and interesting and i figure people reading this will be interested too!

12. Timmiluvs

Honestly, if you toned down those Rustie tracks a bit (slowed them down, took out some of the deeper beats) and I could see them fitting in with the OST to a game like Earthbound or something.

Regardless, I dig those tracks.

Jake Jenkins likes this.
  13. Sophos

Regular

glad you dig, rustie is one of my favorite electronic artists. i love artists that are heavily inspried by video games because i myself am inspired by video games and love video game music and listening to the music in the games i play. clearly guys like rustie and hemsworth are too so i think it's super cool to be able to hear it so overtly in their music. awesome stuff imo.

14. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Very good song, yes

PyramidPostcard likes this.
  15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

is one of my favorite pieces of music. All those games have fantastic soundtracks though

If you haven't, check out all three of those Distant Worlds albums. They're on Spotify. I like driving around to Terra's Theme, feels awesome.

16. One of the best:

17. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

The escape in Thomas Was Alone is sooooo powerful. Love the soundtrack

Also, have to give props to Max Payne 3 airport scene. Like this gets me everytime...

Also, Red Dead Redemption's was pretty stellar.

ChaseTx likes this.
  18. Threads

Regular Prestigious

PyramidPostcard and lightning13 like this.
  19. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Threads likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I don't play enough games to be useful in this thread except that I would buy a soundtrack to Mario 64 in a second

21. Meerkat

@cshadows2887 You should listen to some of these while you're grading papers

22. iam8bit is pressing the soundtracks for the videogames Monument Valley, Journey,Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection on vinyl. The artwork is gorgeous.

lightning13 and ChaseTx like this.
  23. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

This is the best that I've ever heard:

24. Timmiluvs

Oooh Journey has an unbelievable OST. If I cared at all about vinyl I would definitely have picked that one up.

And all of the artworks are stunning but the Banjo Kazooie one is adorable haha.

ChaseTx likes this.
  25. Sophos

Regular

i love the gta v score, it was done by the alchemist, oh no, and tangerine dream. pretty crazy line up of people contributing to a score. it turned out very very well. thats not even including the great radio stations in vehicles in the game.