Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vic Mensa - The Autobiography (7/28/17) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tdlyon, Jun 8, 2017.

1. algae

Regular Prestigious

I have a hard time criticizing the lyrics on this, everything seems very sincere and it's literally called "The Autobiography" so I like it as a retelling of his life's events. Although sometimes it can feel a bit like word vomit, I think that's more of an issue with the actual sound. The only time I really find an artist unbearably corny is when they begin to prescribe or preach how others should live which I don't think Vic really does here.

2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm obviously a massive Vic fan but I'm really liking this album even though it's different from what I was expecting. I like the rock influences (I'd even call them kind of pop-punk influences, especially Coffee & Cigarettes which literally sounds like a pop-punk ballad lol). Vic's storytelling throughout the whole thing was really effective and held my attention for the entire album, especially Heaven on Earth (although I had already heard that song live like over a year ago so the effect was a bit lost on me since I already knew how it ended).

I find his singing really pleasant to listen to as well. I can definitely see why people wouldn't like this album (I imagine it'll draw a lot of J. Cole/Logic fans, both of whom I like but get a lot of hate), but I really like it.

I think Vic has officially surpassed Chance for me. It was always neck and neck but I think me liking this more than Coloring Book (which I still greatly enjoy btw) did it.

3. Caegan Smith

CaeganEra

Yeah I've actually always held Vic a little higher than Chance just my personal preference Vic gets the edge for me. Ever since Innanetape I was like nah this guy is underrated he's gonna be huge.

tdlyon likes this.
  4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Forgot to mention that although I like Homewrecker a lot, I love The Good Life so much that the sample ended up being more distracting than anything else for me, wish it wasn't so blatant. Loved Rivers adding vocals at the end though

5. Yeah, I actually really enjoyed this outside of "Down for Some Ignorance" and "Coffee and "Cigarettes" (and I've got the bonus tracks to replace those haha). It didn't like blow my my mind or anything but I definitely thought it was solid and interesting throughout. Excited to listen again

6. Caegan Smith

CaeganEra

Bruh. Vic absolutely murders Down for some Ignorance. That track could be a stand out banger like Kendrick "Alright".

7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah I really like Down for Some Ignorance. I like how it's a unique take on the traditional "banger"

I can't really think of a particular song that would be my least favorite quite yet. The Fire Next Time maybe? I really like it though

8. Caegan Smith

CaeganEra

And it's kind of an important piece of the puzzle showcasing where Vic grew up in Chicago with Keef being the most notable success of his generation and Joey Purp being a personal fave upcomer in the scene for Vic.

tdlyon likes this.
  9. I might come around to it on second listen, who knows, it just didn't do much for me the first time through

10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The album as a whole is a lot better on second listen actually I think. Definitely found myself catching more stuff that increased my enjoyment level a lot the second time around, plus going in knowing what to expect

Caegan Smith likes this.
  11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

It's really cool to see Vic and Vince (and maybe others I haven't seen) step up against him publicly like this

13. Caegan Smith

CaeganEra

It's not cool, it's typical. Lets stand up against R Kelly who belongs in jail but lets forget we have 100 homies some in the limelight who belong in jail for various crimes. Vic will cosign a killer but trash R Kelly. Im just being honest even though I am a big fan of Vic.

14. irthesteve

You can't really play it that way. No one is condoning anything else you are mentioning. But no matter what has happened outside of this, it is a very positive thing that anyone is going against R Kelly right now, and that fact is true no matter what. Obviously I agree that there are WAY more problematic things happening with Vic, and the hip hop community as a whole, but do not undercut a move forward by pointing at other moves backwards.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  15. algae

Regular Prestigious

dont listen to rap music ever again

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  16. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Lmao what is even going on here, can we not

17. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

So wait, just because there's other problematic things in the hip-hop world, it means no artist should ever speak up about an awful person unless they condemn EVERYTHING bad going on at the same time? Lol that's some airtight logic.

18. irthesteve

19. beachdude42 and Zac Djamoos like this.
  20. beachdude

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. Yeah, I would imagine there's some kind of averaging happening or at least a process to determine exact scores, but I have no idea

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. beachdude

It's an industry secret >-p

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I promise you that you already gave it more thought than they ever did

24. Caegan Smith

CaeganEra

Chill fam you have know idea how invested I am in rap music, how far my knowledge goes back on the culture. I am just stating an opinion. And kind of a fact.

25. Caegan Smith Jul 31, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 31, 2017)
    Caegan Smith

CaeganEra

Rappers will cosign killers and drug dealers from their neighbourhood. And tell you not to trust the media. Then turn around and slam someone over accusations made in the media. Now you tell me which crime is more severe. They all are but it is easier to attack someone pinned by the media. It's called being morally inconsistent and I despise it.