Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Veronica Mars TV Show • Page 15

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Colby Searcy, Oct 29, 2016.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I just had to blow through so I can watch the movie while it’s still available. I will definitely watch that later though. I really thought for some reason that they knew it was over so the ending would be more final.

Kingjohn_654 and irthesteve like this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

It's his brother in law but yes. Jason Russell

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yikes! I guess that explains all the awkward references to it in S3.

The movie is infinitely better so far. Jamie Lee and Gaby cover a multitude of sins.

4. Colby Searcy

On the DVD they had ads and such for it and we're pretty big advocates for Invisible Children.

Is it a terrible organization or something?

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Ooooh boy, yeah. The controversies and issues surrounding it were almost as big as their viral campaign in the first place. It became a pretty big embarrassment for a TON of celebrities who had been vocal supporters.

Also James Franco’s cameo is a big bummer.

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Holy crap that was dark! Were they trying to shop it to more adult networks?

7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Decided to just jump into the new season. Keith and Veronica still have the best chemistry and I love them together.

However, this cuss thing is atrocious and will absolutely make me tear my hair out. Like it’s bad enough to have such an arbitrary rule in place on a streaming network, but they upped the language, nudity, and sexual content tremendously anyway, so the excuse of wanting to keep it friendly for teens doesn’t even make sense.

trevorshmevor and Colby Searcy like this.
  8. Colby Searcy

How many episodes did you skip?

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

None? I finished the show and the movie, but I didn’t give any space between waiting to start the new one. I know the books are canon or close to it, but I’m not invested enough to seek those out.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  10. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I recommend this show to a friend and she watched it all in two weeks but got mad at me because I didn’t warn her about the ending

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I really hope Wallace’s wife is meant to be a court reporter or something, because otherwise, “I was writing a deposition,” is one of the most unintentionally hilarious things they’ve ever said on the show.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Just finished and immediately went back to read all the posts I had to avoid. From a story standpoint it’s super frustrating and changes everything waaaaay too much, and the fact that it did so while using some of the same toxic tropes the original series fell into way too often doesn’t make it any better.

Coming here and seeing the awful justifications given for the decision made it even worse. Like if you really want to say goodbye to the past and make a new show, why even bring Logan back with such character development and focus?! It’s almost like HIMYM level of disdain for the fans and characters. I’ve been pretty loudly anti-Logan throughout my entire watch, and this was the first time that he seemed like someone to truly root for while Veronica was stuck in her same toxic ways. It would have been SO easy to just break them up or have him be away on a more extended leave, but to have him fleshed out just to get fridged because you “can’t have a noir show where someone is in a healthy relationship” sucks.

If this had been a different show I probably would have liked that twist. The way they set it up was believable enough and I got HUGE Dexter season four vibes while he was getting in the car and gloating, so in a vacuum it’s not totally terrible. But in context, yikes.

Until that I would have pretty easily ranked this with season one as my favorite. The Keith and Veronica interactions were perfect and I loved how the fat was trimmed from the story. It wasn’t flawless by any means, but neither was the original run to me as a new fan.

The cuss stuff was as awful as I expected throughout and really blew the tension in some of the later scenes it was in. I have no idea what the future of the show is, but if it comes back they better drop that nonsense no matter what else happens.

Also if the plan really is to have her go out on the road solving cases, I’m out anyway. Her relationships and how they play into each case and the backdrop of this corrupt (but sadly realistic) town are basically the entire draw of the show to me. Combining classic noir with ridiculous comedy and a surprisingly wholesome core family dynamic makes it stand out from every other show in a good way, and they could continue to do so much interesting stuff with these same ideas in an adult setting.

I would honestly give them a pass to go full Dallas or Roseanne on it, although I would be shocked if that happened.

Zilla, Maybevictor and Colby Searcy like this.
  13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Didn’t Fall Out Boy devote an entire music video to Invisible Children’s cause? II’m pretty sure it was for my favorite songs of their’s too.

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yep, they were hugely involved too. I’m pretty sure they were how I first heard about it.

On another meta note, finding out a few days ago that Jason Dohring is a Scientologist who’s hugely involved in recruiting was massively disappointing.

trevorshmevor and Zilla like this.
  15. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

holy shit, I had no idea. I just did some googling. This post has a good recap of everything, jesus... Fuck him, glad they blew him up.

16. Colby Searcy

17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That quote just reiterates how much he clearly wants to be making a brand new show while still piggybacking off of the established fanbase.

Jason Tate and Colby Searcy like this.
  18. [​IMG]

Colby Searcy likes this.
  19. Colby Searcy

I'm very intrigued by the idea he has for S5 but my enthusiasm for this waned after S4's ending

anonimito likes this.
  20. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

21. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Season 5 should be 15 seconds long and it’s just Veronica waking up and realizing Logan dying was a nightmare and he should leave it alone after that for ever

anonimito, Zilla and Colby Searcy like this.
  22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

23. Anybody mind letting me know where the movie fits in chronologically with the seasons? Just getting into this show (finished season 1 tonight) and don’t wanna google anything for fear of spoilers.

Also is there a general consensus on the books? Are they good/canon/etc. and if they’re a green light, where should I fit those in?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  24. Colby Searcy

I would watch and read everything as released. The movie especially and the books all at least make references to past seasons of the show or characters for sure. When the books originally came out, Rob said they were canon and just a continuation of the movie in alot of ways. When S4 came out a few things from the books got changed a bit but nothing super major.

So watch S1-3, then the movie, then read Million Dollar Tan Line, then Mr. Kiss and Tell, and finally S4.

Hope this helps and I'm clear enough. What did you think of S1?

Kingjohn_654 and trevorshmevor like this.
  25. Yeah that definitely helps! I mostly just didn’t know if the movie & books were before or after season 3, so that gets me what I need, thank you!!

Season 1 was good! I never really knew a lot about this show other than it’s about a teenager solving mysteries haha, so I didn’t expect it to be as dark as it is. I appreciate how thematically intense it can be, and the genuinely charming dialogue/characters. And obviously, watching for the first time in 2020, I had a blast with the cameos.

The overall pacing I had... some issues with. The episodic mysteries were often tough for me to really care about. It felt like I was constantly being asked to care about the problems of randos at Veronica’s high school, often ones never to be seen again haha. Felt like a distraction from the bigger story a lot of the time, which wound up feeling a little crammed at the end of the season. Not to mention if there was ever a “culprit”, it was basically always just whichever character was most recently introduced lol. So that got a little old. But the episode where she accidentally helps the Russian mob find that witness protection guy felt like a turning point for the “smaller” mysteries to be a little more interesting/significant, and I was pretty hooked from there.

Was happy to have not predicted Lilly’s murderer though! And even though Logan/Veronica happening felt like a given, I didn’t expect it to happen so soon. So there were definitely a few genuine surprises in there! Excited to see where her focus shifts now that the Lilly/sexual assault mysteries have seemingly wrapped up. Probably more words than you wanted but shit’s fresh on my mind!

Colby Searcy likes this.