Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vent Your Frustrations • Page 91

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by omgrawr, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Jams

Trusted

My dentist yelled at me bc I hadn't been there in over 10 years. Like sorry I was poor and had no dental insurance!! That's why I'm trying to get everything done now in case I lose my dental insurance for some reason. There's no way I could afford to get a tooth pulled without it.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  2. scroopy.noopers

: (

i have a blog post due thurs. its the first written assignment i've had in over a year. i've written hundreds of papers and considered myself a pretty good writer. but here i am with five drafts about different topics, each only a few sentences long. idk man all i can think to write about is how this is dumb and i just wanna die

3. shea

RIP Supporter

Just got home from the dine-in theater and realized I left my mother fucking Ray Ban’s on the tray table. Just called up there and of course “no, no one found any sunglasses, sorry!”

Back to gas station sunglasses for me, I guess.

Fuck

4. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Truly irritated that our directors said we aren’t allowed to work from home when we are under the weather anymore. I’m just feeling cruddy and being at the office is not helping anyone!! Plus they said this was a new rule for the whole office but it’s literally just my team. Everyone else is still doing whatever they want. I know working from home is a privilege but it’s the biggest perk of this job and it sucks to have it taken away under dishonest circumstances!

I hope they enjoy all of us being sick and in the office because we’re all out of sick days and can’t afford unpaid days off!

5. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Is there a way you could combine the topics you’ve written your drafts about? How strict are the guidelines of this assignment?

scroopy.noopers likes this.
  6. scroopy.noopers

This is actually what I ended up doing lol :thumbup:

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

nice! is the blog post an assignment for school or a work thing? I’d love to read your writing if you feel comfortable sharing :-)

scroopy.noopers likes this.
  8. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I feel like I'm losing my sense of justice, slowly slipping into being complacent against the onslaught of horrors around me. I have deadened sense. I feel complicit in my own oppression.

TSLROCKS likes this.
  9. scroopy.noopers

its really bad but i'll send it to you after i upload it tonight :)

mad likes this.
  10. bluecharliedeltaecho Aug 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 4, 2019)
    bluecharliedeltaecho

Regular

x

11. smikkle

I have 17 more posts before I can start a thread

Ken likes this.
  12. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

one of my senior project managers has not been helping at all on this client account even though he's supposed to be getting familiar with the account and overseeing my projects as i learn junior project manager stuff, which normally would be fine, i am used to being given all the work all the time. but i actually need help with this request and so i reached out to ask if he could hop in tomorrow and he tells me starting tomorrow, he'll be gone for TWO WEEKS!!!!! MY GUY WHAT THE HELL!!!! i just went and cried in the bathroom for 5 min because I'm so overwhelmed and overworked and that was just the final straw.

13. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I worked 12 hours and am sick and all I wanted was to come home to the package that was supposed be waiting for me BUT ITS NOT HERE.

14. Jams

Trusted

I have the flu and was just really wanting to go to bed and I go to brush my teeth and there’s a centipede in my bathroom. Naturally I scream in terror and run away only to find another one in my bedroom. So now I’m sleeping on the couch tonight bc I’m too afraid to sleep in my room. This couch is so uncomfortable and I’m just whiny and want my bed!! Bugs are my #1 fear in general but centipedes are the absolute worst for me and this whole city seems to be just like infested with them and it’s my nightmare come to life!!

15. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

My gf and I were planning on going to a bar for happy hour for her birthday, but she invited two dudes who I have MAJOR problems with? What the fuck?

16. Before I joined the band I am in now, I was in a handful of bands with this other guy. He and I had written music together for about 10 years and we were pretty much attached at the hip when it came to writing music together. We both had the same influences, and we both always had the same vision when it came to writing. Our dynamic was I wrote and recorded all the music, and then he'd record vocals over it. It worked really well. Sometimes we'd collaborate on the music and vocals, but generally, our thing was I wrote the music and he sang.

But then had a bit of a falling out and we didn't talk for about a year or so, which was initiated entirely by him. We never had a fight together or anything. He basically just one day freaked out on me over the phone and we stopped talking completely. Until one day I finally broke the silence and texted him saying "Stop being a douche and be my friend again already!" So we started talking again, he apologized profusely for a couple months, and then we slowly started to hang out a little bit and make more music together a few times throughout the past year or two.

Two months ago to the day, he and I were supposed to hang out one last time because he was moving from Utah to Oklahoma the next week. I initiated the plan to hang out, and so he came down to Salt Lake City and we were going to go get a drink and some lunch together. Early that day he texted me saying he and his wife needed to go her parents house to drop off a few things that they weren't taking with them to Oklahoma. So he said he'd let me know when he's free to hang out. I haven't heard from him once since that last text. We never hung out and he's living in Oklahoma now. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess....

He's had a solo music project the last few months or so that he's been trying to find members to join out there in Oklahoma. I still keep tabs on his social media and stuff because he's still my friend, even if he ghosted me a couple months ago... Anyway, apparently he booked some time in a recording studio out there and recorded some stuff on his own because he wasn't able to find anyone to play with him. Instead of putting those recordings out though, he's been taking songs that he and I recorded together over the past few years, and has re-released them under his own band's name saying "Here's some new songs!"

I wrote and recorded all of the music to these songs and now he's taking full credit for them. No mention of my name anywhere. No mention of "here's some songs my friend and I recorded a few years ago to tide you over until I get these new recordings I did back from the studio." Nothing like that. Just "Here's some new tunes!" but they're MY songs...

He has maybe 30 followers right now so I'm not too stressed about him getting popular or anything from these songs. They're not even that good of recordings, but still... Shitty right?! Honestly though, he's always done this, and I'm not shocked whatsoever. I'm just tired of it. I have sooo many stories....

TL;DR: My "friend" ghosted me, and now he's taking full credit for songs that I wrote all of the music to.

17. Lenin

Regular

This guy isn't your friend

18. So it seems... I started getting that vibe when he never texted me back 2 months ago... sigh.

19. thenewmatthewperry

Im sorry you went through this man, it sucks man. Making music when things go down like this can totally ruin the joy music can bring.i hope you can hold on to that passion. Sorry again man this totally sucks

20. It does suck. But don't worry, it definitely hasn't ruined the joy of making music for me. It just makes me think that the last 10+ years of doing music together was only to benefit himself. The "new" song he released a couple days ago is one we wrote and released 3 years ago... It's like "Dude, just write your own fucking songs."

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  21. I don't know what to do...

Part of me wants to confront him and tell him to write his own songs and stop taking ownership of mine.

Part of me wants to just wait and see if he keeps posting more of our old songs as his own and then eventually eat his foot when people discover he didn't write and play everything.

Part of me wants to somehow copyright the instrumental tracks or something so he's not allowed to use them (but I don't know the first thing about how to do that, what his and my rights are, etc.)

Part of me wants to write my own vocals over the same instrumentals and start a war, haha.

Part of me wants to just ignore everything and let him continue doing it because deep down I know that nothing is going to come of them so why even bother. But there's always that "what if" in the back of my mind, you know? I don't want him to reap in the benefits for all of my work.

Anyway, what do you guys think I should do?

22. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

I would imagine you should start by having a conversation and seeing what's up. Obviously a fucked up situation but never going to end well if you call to confront him right off the bat. At least start by being cordial and seeing what he's thinking and why he would go this route.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  23. bradsonemanband Aug 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 15, 2019)
    If this was the first time he's done something like this, I'd be more cordial. But he's done this kind of stuff over and over again. He believes he owns the songs because it's his voice and lyrics on the recordings.

I’ve called him out on this shit before and I think he’s only doing it right now because we don’t follow each other on social media so I think he assumes I’m not seeing it all.

24. thenewmatthewperry Aug 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 15, 2019)
    thenewmatthewperry

The unfortunate reality is that he is likely to continue this behavior until someone calls him out for it. And there's a risk that he'll continue to steal and profit off of others' work.

I would attempt to confront him person to person. If that fails, I would make a social media post with the original song as proof that he has taken your work. Even if you aren't listened to initially, its a record/warning shot that may deter him from doing it again in the future. This is just me thinking how I would approach it though.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  25. Jams

Trusted

I’m at a concert and we have lawn seats. They made us evacuate the lawn bc of a storm and when we got back to our spot someone stole our blanket. Like idc it’s a cheap blanket but that is just fucking rude. And we had the very front of the lawn and now we can’t see bc we’re short and lost our spot.