Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Venom (Ruben Fleischer, October 5, 2018) Movie • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 16, 2017.

1. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I've been waiting for a Venom film since 2007 so I'll take anything they give us. I like the logo and I like the teaser.

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

No we just know for sure that Riz is the villain, who he's playing isn't confirmed

3. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Damn. thanks. Nervous about Riz as a villain. I checked Wiki and it says "In addition, the character Carnage, Venom's offspring, will appear as a villain." but its wiki so who knows

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'll answer this after work, lol.

I think he's playing the head of the Life Foundation, an evil organization from 90s ASM and Venom: Lethal Protector.

5. I'm cool with that teaser. Movie doesn't come out 'til October, so I appreciate a teaser that gives me an idea of tone and such, but keeps it vague and restrained for the most part.

6. I am 1000000000000% on board with not showing Venom too early. Especially in a teaser.

7. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I thought it was solid as a teaser. You know you wouldn't expect to see a full reveal in a teaser, but I'm sure they'll prep a full trailer to drop around Infinity War.

8. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I rarely get excited over comic book movies, but Venom is the shit and I am pumped for this.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. Reach for the sky!

You are a sad, strange little man. Prestigious

Thank you

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I think the symbiote may have been in the trailer after all:

IMG_1361.PNG

11. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Good point. Looking again, it really was the chrome that was so jarring to me, just looks poor. The V at the end of the trailer looked great, though.

12. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought the teaser was pretty good

RyanPm40 likes this.
  13. Tim

I'll do this chronologically, since that's probably easiest, even though these are all fair places to jump in.

Spider-Man: Birth of Venom is the easiest way to see how the character was introduced. It features a concise version of the Alien Costume Saga, the costume's first appearance in the original Secret Wars, and then goes into the first appearances of Venom. It's not the most essential read, but I really dig 80s Spider-Man, and I also think Venom's first full appearance in the oversized Amazing Spider-Man #300 (drawn by Todd McFarlane) is a top tier classic Spidey story.

If you want to jump right into Venom as a solo character, though, you should start with Venom: Lethal Protector. This 6-issue miniseries has a lot of ridiculous 90s comics flavor, but that's kinda what the character was for years. I'm personally a big fan of this story (which seems to be a major influence on the film), especially the Mark Bagley art for the first half of it:
    [​IMG]

I know you said Eddie Brock, but I've gotta give a shoutout to the Venom series by Rick Remender centered on Flash Thompson as Agent Venom. It might be the strongest Venom series I've ever read, though I obviously do love Brock. Venom as a soldier who lost his legs and can only wear the suit for so long at a time works surprisingly well. It's fantastic. (Oh, and as an FYI, between Brock and Thompson, the Venom suit was worn by Mac Gargan, the Scorpion. He was the most amoral iteration. Sinister Spider-Man tells a story of him pretending to be Spider-Man, with great Chris Bachalo art. Not a priority, but worth checking out eventually.)

Now we jump back to Eddie Brock, who recently became Venom again. The current series' first story arc had someone else take on the symbiote and re-corrupt it (after Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy series purified it), and then ended with Brock getting it back. But honestly, you could just jump right into the second collection, which includes an oversized anniversary issue (guest artist Tradd Moore) that might be the best single issue of Venom I've ever read. I'll also give the third collection a shoutout for reviving the "Lethal Protector" moniker and reuniting artist Mark Bagley to the character for a fight with Kraven the Hunter.

Adrian Villagomez likes this.
  14. Reach for the sky!

You are a sad, strange little man. Prestigious

This is great. Very much appreciated!

15. RyanPm40

I was just watching the Venom Returns Pt 1 and 2, as well as the Carnage episodes of the '94 Spider-Man cartoon last night. It's definitely a bit campy, but still holds up as a very entertaining cartoon for me.

Alba likes this.
  16. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

a good teaser

Tim likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

anyone else think of Full House when they saw the Golden Gate?

Dog with a Blog and Nyquist like this.
  18. RyanPm40

19. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

looks like venom

20. tvck

Trusted

21. Tim

WE ARE VENOM.

Love it. This is gonna rule.

RyanPm40 and Jason Tate like this.
  22. I dig it. I'm sure it'll look a lot better as they get more post-production done.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. RyanPm40

Daaaamn genuinely creepy. There's something about Venom's look that I'm not 100% in love with but I can't really put my finger on it, and I can't really knock it either, he looks great.

It still kind of bothers me that we're getting venom without first being on Peter, but I'll deal with it.