Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Venom (Ruben Fleischer, October 5, 2018) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 16, 2017.

1. carrytheweight likes this.
  2. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Whoa, that's cool.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

WTF, she keeps suprising me, first a musical then an Amy Schumer movie now this

4. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Even if it's just in talks, if Variety is reporting it it's usually pretty close to a done deal

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

The article also says that Riz Ahmed is definitely in, which I didn't think was official yet. Cool. Still super excited for this.

6. Tim likes this.
  7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

This cast sounds way too good

[edit] ...for a movie I have very little faith in.

8. Tim

Oh man, this cast. Love it.

9. Tim

Kelly Marcel is reportedly working on the script for this.

Marcel's previous script work includes Saving Mr. Banks, Fifty Shades of Grey, and some uncredited work on Bronson. Apparently she and Tom Hardy became very close friends when Bronson was being made, so I imagine he's the one who brought her on to refine this script. While her body of work isn't all that compelling, I personally like the implication that Tom Hardy is pretty hands on with this whole project.

10. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Isn’t this supposed to start shooting this month?

11. Tim

Yeah, I'm pretty sure production is still supposed to get underway by the end of the month.

If you're asking because of the script news, it's worth noting that the new writer is someone with experience as an uncredited script doctor for Bronson. She's probably just refining what's already there while they wait for shooting to begin. A lot of the rushed aspects of this are worrisome, but with the quality of the cast and source material, I'm not too worried yet.

12. Tim

Cameron likes this.
  13. :hearteyes:

14. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

So eager to see the costumes

15. Tim

Unfortunately, I imagine the costumes will be at least partially CGI, which would mean we wouldn't get a real look until the first trailer drops. And, that likely won't be until at least Black Panther, if not New Mutants.

Granted, there is still a decent bit of negativity around this not being in the MCU or having a Spider-Man, so maybe they'll try to get a good look out faster to drum up excitement. Still, I could see them taking their time and working towards an initial teaser that can pull in the skeptics.

Either way, I'm likewise very eager, lol.

16. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

A teaser before the year is over would be a cool surprise, but being released next to New Mutants probably makes the most sense

17. Tim

Especially since New Mutants and Venom have seemingly similar tones. Plus, New Mutants started shooting roughly a year before the release date, like Venom did, and the New Mutants trailer came out 6 months before its release date. New Mutants comes out 6 months before Venom, so if Venom follows a similar schedule, that's perfect timing.

18. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

That'd be awesome if it rolls out that way haha

Tim likes this.
  19. carrytheweird likes this.
  20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Hmmm

21. Tim

This seems like as good a thread as any for this:

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Curious what direction they take it in.

23. Tim

I remember his origin in ASM #101 being surprisingly well fleshed out, in spite of being in flashback, so they could totally go full science fiction horror with the film, making it completely about the hubris of man and all that jazz. Like, no villains or other comic-book-y elements. Though, I kinda doubt they'll do that.

Between Venom, Morbius, Lizard, Carnage, and Man-Wolf, Sony could really lean into the tone of classic Marvel horror, like a mix between the old Gerry Conway stuff and Todd MacFarlane's early 90s work. Too bad they didn't start doing this while they still had the rights to Ghost Rider, who would've fit quite nicely into this world.

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'd honestly love something in that vein. I just hope it doesn't hinge on him being a misunderstood anti-hero/villain who overcomes some crazy thing to be accepted blah blah blah. I think the Silver Sable/Black Cat film is going to say a lot about the direction they go moving forward. Venom is likely going to be successful no matter what, but these fringe characters are the real make or break films.

I like the risks Fox and Sony are taking with their Marvel properties and hope they end up working out. As much as we talk about how good a roll Disney is on, the stories really aren't different enough.

Tim likes this.
  25. Just some promo banners at Brazil's Comic Con. Not sure if it's an official logo or not.