Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Venom (Ruben Fleischer, October 5, 2018) Movie • Page 31

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 16, 2017.

1. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I would love Travis Knight. He did such a wonderful job with Bumblebee

Tim likes this.
  2. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Stop motion that shit to make it more legit Andy

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Honestly it could be more of a steaming trash heap than the first movie so maybe bringing in someone like Serkis or Knight or Wyatt will actually help improve things.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Venom is legitimately a good comic book movie, that legitimately does what it is going for really well, & I'm legitimately more excited for how the sequel could expand on its strengths & improve its weaknesses than I am for 60% of Marvel Studios films (as a genuine fan of most Marvel Studios films) or a lot of what DC is developing.

*shrug*

jkauf and Jason Tate like this.
  5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I wouldn’t say good but I’ll say I enjoyed my time with it a great deal

6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

This was not a good movie by any means. Hardy and Williams were good in their roles, everyone else is pretty replaceable. Venom's CGI was awesome and his dynamic with Eddie was awesome. Otherwise, the movie was a mess structurally, the lines were awful, poor editing in parts, and the story was not done well in my opinion. Some of the acting was just awkward and not done well (sadly, I was hoping for better from Jenny Slate)

ECV likes this.
  7. Davjs

Trusted

Not a good movie by any means, but I loved watching it just like I love watching stuff like Critters, Cool World and things that embrace the B movie feel.

I don't want them to change anything about the feel of the movie for the sequel.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. Tim

I think too many people equate "serious" with "good." Reminds me of the dorks who used to hate Batman '66, though between nostalgia & the abundance of darker Batman adaptations, it seems nerd culture is more in favor of that one now than against it.

Venom isn't great, most of the sequences w/out Tom Hardy don't commit enough to the tone, but it is absolutely "good" & not simply "bad yet enjoyable."

9. Davjs

Trusted

No its not about seriousness, it's that the story structure is a mess, acting is mostly terrible from the supporting case and too much that doesn't make sense. Plenty of stuff is bad but fun though

I mean, I agree that people equate serious with good, same with darker means more better. I just don't think that's whats going on here.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. Anthony_

Oh for sure, I laughed my ass off the whole time. It was very unintentionally funny.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. It is absolutely a bad movie. That doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to like it. But this movie is absolutely full of bad writing, bad pacing, forgettable characters, cardboard performances, glaring issues in editing, etc etc.

RyanPm40 and Anthony_ like this.
  12. Anthony_

I loved when Venom gives the "you know something Eddie, you've changed me, actually I want to protect Earth now" speech literally less then twelve hours after first bonding with him.

This thing is going to make for a great episode of How Did This Get Made? one day.

ECV likes this.
  13. RyanPm40 Jul 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 29, 2019)
    RyanPm40

Exactly. (For example) I don't consider MCU films to be "serious" but I still enjoy a good portion of them. I didn't expect Venom to be "serious'.

14. True: it's not a good movie; it's a great movie. :venom:

15. Tim

This is why y'all are wrong about this film. It's like going to Batman '66 & thinking Adam West's aim wasn't comedy, or going to Punisher: War Zone & thinking Lexi Alexander didn't know how ridiculous she was making everything.

Who knows what the initial plans at Sony were for the film, probably a more traditional blockbuster based on the domestic marketing, but Tom Hardy, Kelly Marcel, & Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer 110% knew what kind of film they were making. As did production company Tencent Pictures, who marketed it comedically overseas.

Davjs likes this.
  16. This is still my main issue with the movie. The plot is paper-thin, if existent at all. Everything happens despite the characters, all of whom are underwritten at best. It follows the general outline of superhero movie, but none of the characters fit into that mold, so it moves in weird directions at a weird pace. It’s uncanny.

This movie features a scene in which Venom lists all of his weakness for no reason. In a car on the way to a hospital where he’s supposed to be removed from Eddie. That’s he’s going to willingly, only because he decides with no explanation that he likes Michelle Williams’ character. There is zero cartilage between the bones of the plot. And none of the characters outside of Eddie have anything to them, so there’s no real reason to care. It’s funny! There’s that, at least.

I’m always skeptical of the negative reception to non-MCU superhero movies because there’s some real fanboyism that’s murks up the waters. I really didn’t like Shazam this year, and I thought Dark Phoenix was waaaaaaay better than anyone gave it credit for. But Venom was bad. Did I have fun? Sure, but it’s a bad movie.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. RyanPm40

I can think of a ton of silly/funny/non-serious superhero movies that are also good movies with decent character development. This isn't one of them

18. Anthony_

This movie was not intended to be a comedy and it wasn’t made as a comedy either. That’s like Tommy Wiseau trying to say that The Room was always intended to be a “black comedy” lol. Adam West’s Batman was going for 60s-era campy fun and achieved that. This was going for a dark and violent, “mature” comic book movie with some comedic relief and failed at it. The only person who even comes close to knowing they’re making a comic book movie is Hardy, everyone else is going 110% all-in in seriousness. Their post-hoc scramble to try and paint it as always intended to be a lighthearted comedic romp is just them trying to course correct. And it definitely worked overseas, box office-wise.

Watching it fall flat on its face was pretty funny to me, personally. But I’m not saying anyone else has to feel the same way.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. Tim

I mean, you're wrong, but ok.

Like, Adam West's comedy involved playing ridiculous scenes straight. And, nice job ignoring the Punisher: War Zone example, where it's dark & violent but also intentionally ridiculous. This really is in that same vein.

20. How many of y’all regularly read or read Venom comics? Feel like having that background and seeing them make a great Venom movie go a little hand in hand. Cause this is a great Venom movie even if y’all didn’t like it. :spidey4:

Tim likes this.
  21. RyanPm40

@Tim Idk, I feel like your descriptions of what Venom does right fits movies like Deadpool and Ragnarok in a much better way

22. It can be a good adaptation of a character and still function poorly as a movie. In the same way that ASM2 has a great Peter Parker, a great suit, and tons of pacing, narrative, and editing issues that prevent it from working well as a movie experience.

Anthony_ and RyanPm40 like this.
  23. RyanPm40

Admittedly, not a lot of the standalone stuff. I've read his origin stories in ASM and Ultimate, any reference to him in Ultimate Spider-Man, some Agent Venom, the Toxin storyline, and the ASM where Venom is on an island with Spidey and hunts him. Aside from that, just the 90s animated series.

I still think you can adapt a comic faithfully without having a complete mess of a story and editing of a film, as well as decent acting from supporting characters. Idk.

24. I don't think the story's "a mess" though. It's comic-booky, but it's hard to hold that against the movie.

25. RyanPm40

That's a fair opinion. Maybe it's just the supporting characters, dialogue and editing that pull me out the most. I guess when I do think at a high, conceptual level of what the story is going for, it does feel comic-booky and makes some logical sense, but the rest is so bad that it just distracts me from it aside from Venom and Brock's relationship.