Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Venom (Ruben Fleischer, October 5, 2018) Movie • Page 29

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Semantics, taste, etc., but I personally think it's way too fun a watch to call "a terrible movie." *shrug*

It does feel a lot like pre-Avengers X-Men films in a way. But, I have a ton of nostalgia for that original trilogy, genuinely good X2 & hot mess Last Stand alike, lol. So, getting a movie about a character I loved as a kid in the general style of the comic book films of my youth... It felt good.

Jason Tate likes this.
  2. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Definitely didn’t find this even fun tbh. Every character except Hardy and Venom was so dull and humorless, even Jenny Slate who they had play completely straight for some dumb reason. The movie did fly by, though I don’t think i’d Ever say I was entertained by it.

Idk, when I think of a “fun” and silly superhero movie that I would rewatch just for that I think Guardians or Ragnarok, and I don’t think anyone would argue that this comes close to that.

3. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Also this isn’t a critique but does Hardy have *any* control over Venom’s powers? When they strike their deal at the end, I don’t really get what Venom is getting out of it. Obviously a host would want their venom to match with them because otherwise means death, but I thought the only thing the venoms get out of it is food / shelter, which they could get from anybody

4. dash64

This is my design

Picked up the steelbook at BestBuy yesterday, and am excited to do a rewatch with the girlfriend this weekend!

5. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Watched this a couple nights ago. This movie was so weird for me. Visually I thought it was well done. Venom looks cool as hell when he's on screen and the relationship between him and Eddy was interesting, yet they definitely didn't flesh it out to the extent that they should have. The narrative is not good and a lot of stuff here felt forced (I didn't believe Venom's reasoning for staying on Earth in the slightest), especially in the supporting actors and villains. Hardy's accent and Eddy's personality were really strange choices to me as well. Also gotta say that this had awful pacing and really felt like they cut a loooot out of this.

6. Kuri44

Just rented this, gonna go in with a positive attitude and hopefully have a fun time with it

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Get beer.

And tater tots.

And chocolate.

coleslawed, Mrplum5089, jkauf and 2 others like this.
  8. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I liked this. No real issues. Pretty funny.

Kuri44 likes this.
  9. Kuri44

I liked this overall as well. Yeah the script/story were kind of all over the place, as was some of the casting (Jenny Slate) but I really liked the Eddie/Venom relationship and am looking forward to seeing more of them. I got chills when we first see Venom go off, pretty fucking cool. Also, I think venom was one of the best Spider-Man villains brought to screen yet (better than Electro, Sandman, Lizard, Rhino, SPM3 venom, new goblin). I really hope we get to see him and Spider-Man interact at some point. Comedy was pretty well done too, I laughed more than I thought.

Jason Tate and RyanPm40 like this.
  10. Pile of heads.
    Pile of bodies.

Kuri44 likes this.
  11. Tim

Buying this movie & a Mountain Dew right now. :venom:

Kingjohn_654, Jason Tate and Alba like this.
  12. Tim

Underappreciated comedic moment:

Anne sternly saying to Eddie, "Hospital. Right now."

The delivery & context is just really funny to me.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  13. I still can’t believe how much more I enjoyed this movie than I thought I would.

I really love that almost everyone’s reaction has been some variation of “I know it’s not great but I really like it anyway.”

14. Tim

Upon rewatching this, I gotta maintain my belief that the sequel needs Anne.

Specifically, I think she'd make a great comedic straight man to Eddie's bonkers antics. Especially w/ Carnage in the mix. Playing everyone straight here besides Venom didn't always work, but if we've got two symbiotes w/ hammy hosts, Anne could work well against those two.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  15. Tim

coleslawed likes this.
  16. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

So I just googled "Carnage" to read up on him some more, and no joke, a Miriam-Webster dictionary link for the word "Carnage" appeared and it was with a photo of Trump next to it lmao. Refreshed the search and it was gone

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. Probably a result of the "American carnage" line in his inauguration speech

Kingjohn_654 and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Tim, Kingjohn_654 and Kuri44 like this.
  19. michael_gatto

Trusted

Honestly, rewatched this the other night and I don't hate it. It's not great, but viewed as a comedy it's a lot of fun. Tom Hardy is incredible.

RyanPm40 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  20. Tim

Having Kelly Marcel as the writer from the start is probably a good sign. She came to Venom late in the process, I think literally right before they started shooting, and is good friends with Tom Hardy, who was obviously the reason the film worked. So, I imagine she and Tom will together drive this franchise in the right direction.

Jason Tate and coleslawed like this.
  21. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Just cut Woody’s hair. That orange fro was beyond dumb.

22. atlas

Trusted

I’m 40 minutes into this and it’s so bad. Soooooo fucking bad. Please tell me it gets better

RyanPm40 likes this.
  23. Tim

lol. All the more reason why she should be in the sequel, reacting to scenery-chewing Tom Hardy & Woody Harrelson.

Joe, RyanPm40 and Jason Tate like this.
  24. RyanPm40

Finally saw this and... Wow. Some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard in a big budget film and horrible acting all around aside from Hardy and maybe Ahmed. Jenny Slate just wasn't good.. almost sounded robotic in her delivery.

Writing was all over the place and pretty bad throughout. Venom/Brock interactions were by far the best (and possibly only) redeeming qualities of the film.

I don't even know if I can say this is any better than Spider-Man 3. But they did a better job at how Venom looks, so I guess there's that

slimfenix182 likes this.
  25. RyanPm40

I was also dying laughing how obvious it was that they dubbed over any parts that mispronounced symbiote lmao. The character saying it was either suuuper far away so you couldn't see their mouth moving, or were completely off screen altogether