Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Venom (Ruben Fleischer, October 5, 2018) Movie • Page 28

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I’m surprised studios haven’t already started offering movies online the same time they go into theatres

2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I honestly think they should do this. The logistics of trying to get to a movie theater these days for my wife and I are insane, and that's even if we have a movie night in the budget. I would happily pay to (legally) watch a film VOD on or around when it is actually released in theaters. Studios are likely afraid of cannibalizing their own profits so-to-speak but I see it more as adapting with the times and adjusting profit streams.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  3. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Plus you don’t have to split any profits with theaters (I know Disney likes to play hard ball)

4. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Tim likes this.
  5. This has now grossed more than Wonder Woman worldwide. Still only made just over half as much as WW domestically, though. International audiences really bolstered this.

6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

FYI there are HD streams of this out there now. Not a cam edit

7. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

This was all kinds of fun and goofy. Excited for a sequel

8. Davjs

Trusted

Went into this expecting a shit show, but not all that bad. Happy this made a ton of money so that post credit scene can pay off!

joe.boy.fresh. and DrAlanGrant like this.
  9. Ok. Let’s do this ... :venom:

Tim likes this.
  10. I ...

Liked it.

Kinda a lot.

More thoughts tomorrow.

11. Jacob Tender Dec 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2018)
    Saw your diary entry on Letterboxd. I too love Tom Hardy. I also love Venom. Yet something about this movie says "meh, you don't need it." Maybe you can change my mind.

Edit: Welp "I love Tom Hardy" was my 1k post.

12. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

best buddy cop movie ever tbh

Kingjohn_654 and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  13. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Looking forward to these thoughts, which I fully expect to include a dig at Marvel Studios.

:venom::heart:

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  14. Haha.

Like, fine, this movie is absolutely ridiculous and silly ... but I still had a whole lot of fun watching it. I've watched a lot of Marvel movies that felt like a damn chore to get through, but this was completely stupid entertainment in the best way. It's what movies like The Meg and The Predator were trying to capture, but failed. It did what it needed to, was what it wanted to be, and like movies like Power Rangers embraced the side of itself that let you have fun watching it. We were laughing out loud during the movie, and are already quoting the movie. "Tatertots and chocolate." Hardy was great and the back and forth with Venom was classic and everything I wanted it to be.

By no means is this a great movie, or anything like that, but I enjoyed every second of watching it, will absolutely watch it again at some point, and that's exactly what I wanted out of the movie. A cold winter night and some beer with the girlfriend ... and both of us finished going "yeah, that was a whole lot of fun" and then immediately in Venom voice, "Huuunnggggrrrrrry."

We've watched a lot of movies, and a lot of comic book movies, together ... and I got this text this morning:

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 1.55.20 PM.png

And started laughing. The movie was silly, stupid, fun, and Venom. I really couldn't ask for it to be anything else. It had the job to entertain me, it succeeded. It succeeded where a whole lot of films in this genre fail.

15. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I always catch myself just saying EDDDIEEEE I WANT TATER TOTS in venom voice because it’s amazing

16. "I can't say it was good, but I had a lot of fun with it." is pretty much how I've described it to my co-workers the other day. Don't know that I'll rewatch this, but I'll be there for the sequel.

I will, however, rewatch a compilation of all the scenes where Tom Hardy violently eats food.

Mrplum5089 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  17. Tim

I think "silly, stupid, fun, and Venom" is a great way to describe this film.

Funny that the home release is so soon after it came out, especially since it was a financial success. But, makes sense with the holiday season. So ready to get the Bluray for Christmas.

18. Tim

Basically, comic book movies that know what kinda movie they are and go for it are the best kind of movie. And, while not every piece of this film knew what it was (and they had dang Jenny Slate, who could've had a blast!), Tom Hardy [x2] knew what he was enough for everyone.

Woody Harrelson is promising because he's the kinda actor who'd know what to do. If Michelle Williams returns, wonder if she has it in her to let loose, too. The delivery of some of her dumber lines make me think, with the right material, she could have a blast.

19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I hope Michelle Williams doesn’t come back. She’s a great actor who looked totally bored. And her chemistry with Hardy was like sub-zero. After watching them together, I momentarily forgot what romance was.

20. Tim

I dunno. Tom Hardy improvised the lobster scene, apparently did a bunch of fun stuff that didn't make the film, and brought in his friend Kelly Marcel to tweak the script very last minute. Compare his performance to everyone else's. And, compare the marketing before the domestic release to the marketing in China & for the Bluray. There's no way Michelle Williams knew what was happening.

A lot of good actors like having fun. If she doesn't want out, she deserves a chance to be in on what's going on.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. Pile of heads. Pile of bodies.

:venom:

22. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I might finally watch this tonight, I keep putting it off

23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That's true. It probably comes down more to the director since everyone else seemed to think they were in a straight action flick, other than Hardy. I'm just speaking from a chemistry perspective. I would not blame Michelle Williams for trying to get some of that sweet Marvel loot.

24. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

And I think I said it here before, but one of the first things I told my friend after the movie was "I don't think this movie is good, but I'm glad it exists." Because there is a zero-percent chance Disney would let this through if they had control of all the Spider-Man properties. Sadly, Sony's pretty much the last vestige for us to get weird Marvel stuff now.

Serh likes this.
  25. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

This felt like Sony went on the opposite end and collaborated with Fox on a Spider-Man character movie. It was somewhat of a decent watch, but it really is a terrible movie.