Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Venom (Ruben Fleischer, October 5, 2018) Movie • Page 27

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Syre Dream

Regular

Saw this last night and I loved the Eddie/Venom relationship.

2. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Suicide Squad was not bad in an entertaining way. It was just an obnoxious misfire. Venom was very entertaining in a very shoddy, inexplicable way and the interplay between Eddie and Venom was genuinely cool.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Ok, Venom worked financially. Next steps for Sony:

- Watch Into the Spider-Verse become a big hit.
    - Make a Venom sequel w/ Carnage that doubles down what worked and fixes what didn't.
    - Don't mess up the first Marvel project w/out Spidey or Venom so that they can take bigger swings with more unique projects, versus resting on name recognition.

I feel like the next thing in line is Morbius w/ Leto, so that puts step 3 at risk, lol. Hopefully Kraven, Silk, Black Cat, or whatever gets far enough along to keep this momentum going a tad longer.

Also, I like the Logan box office comparison. If they keep pushing forward through the end of this Fox/Disney thing, then as I've said before, Sony will have a perfect corner of the market to exploit.

4. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Still have yet to see this film, but very true about Suicide Squad (although it was still better than BvS)

5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Suicide squad is the worst film I’ve ever seen lol

6. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

FD899A6A-5929-4DA4-AEC2-85335FA1585A.jpeg

Zilla, flask, coleslawed and 5 others like this.
  7. Finally saw this last night. To me (as others have said) it’s one if those weird “bad” movies that isn’t that bad.

The set up to the main story was a little too long but once Venom came along it picked up. Definitely a ton of things to nitpick about this film but I can honestly see myself picking it up when it’s released on home video.

Hopefully they take a little time and care in crafting a sequel.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Apparently it is doing really really well in China. Its enough for Sony to reconsider their deal with Disney.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. Tim

I'm cool with that.

Like I said recently in the general Spidey thread, I think continuing this "have your cake and eat it too" situation with Marvel would still make sense for now, since the deal doesn't make any difference in regards to funding or profits. But, if nothing else, this will give them a lot of freedom to pursue their own thing, and will put them in a stronger negotiation place when they wrap up what's been agreed on so far.

Man, as much as I love the best MCU films, what I wouldn't give for a separate live action film with the character right now...

RyanPm40 likes this.
  10. Tim

Venom talk starts at about 10:45. A Chinese production company called Tencent, which was part of Warcraft's Chinese release & other successes there, is apparently a big part of Venom's success. Some nice marketing there. If Sony can keep teaming with 'em on their Marvel projects, that'll bode well for those projects.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

12. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

What the actual fuck

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I'm hoping the runaway success of this movie increases our chances of getting the R-rated cut on blu-ray, even if they call it something silly like 'unrated' or something.

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  14. Tim

There's nothing that an R rating would've added to this movie, though.

15. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I really don't get this desire for an R rated version of the movie. Any real issues with the movie aren't gonna be fixed by extra blood or gore.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I didn't see it. I just read the entire time through production they were making it with an R-rating and then decided at the last minute to go PG-13 and I hate when they do that. I feel like knowing the film can't be R ahead of time affects what scenes you will shoot and how you will shoot them. Just making an R rated movie and then cutting it down doesn't usually end up well. Made 'The Meg' even worse than it would have been otherwise.

Like I said, I haven't seen this yet, but I am a huge Tom Hardy fan and want to see it when I get a chance.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. Tim

I don't think you should believe the internet hype in this case. They were coy about the rating for a while, but based on comments leading up to the film, and the film itself, I don't believe that there's an R version of this film. Feels like they always wanted it to have that wider PG-13 net in the market. And, they specifically cited Dark Knight as an example of not needing R to get edgier content (which, Dark Knight is obviously a VERY different film, but the basic principle applies).

There's a place for R-rated films like Logan, Punisher: War Zone, & Blade, but the Deadpool hype has totally skewed people's perception of that, tbh.

Kingjohn_654 and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Thanks, that's good to know. I really did think they shot it and everything fully with R in mind and changed it at the last minute. I was kinda holding out on watching it to see if they would release it, but I'll probably just watch it as soon as I get a chance.

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. Tim

July doesn't seem like a good time for a Sony Marvel movie, depending on what it is. Like, if that's Morbius, that film probably really needs a less crowded field to thrive in. I know Marvel Studios dropped their July 2020 date, but still.

If they're already set on that Venom 2 date, hopefully they're already working on a script. As a fan of the movie... It would've been much better had it been less rushed. Hope they're already brainstorming how to capitalize on what worked best & improve what didn't work so well.

Alba likes this.
  21. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

This was all kinds of incredibly horrible. Like so many tiny little things that could’ve been fixed so easily to make at least a coherent story. At least it felt like it was only about 45min long

22. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Just waiting for an HD stream for this lol

23. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I didn’t realize this is getting released on BluRay so soon. December 18th.

24. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I’m constantly blown away by how small the window is from theatrical release to Blu Ray. Like, “Christopher Robin” felt like it came out in theaters last month and it’s already out to buy.

chewbacca110 and Davjs like this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Companies are pushing to minimize the gap. They are looking to move to VOD asap.

chewbacca110 likes this.