Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Velvet Buzzsaw (Dan Gilroy, February 1, 2019) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by username, Feb 1, 2019.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

2. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

just keep watching I guess...or don't. not watching would be a better idea

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

OH MY GOD WHY DIDN’T I REALIZE WHO PLAYED DEASE. The deck is so stacked for me loving this, I DON’T WANT TO BE HURT!

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Mmmmmm here we go. They all have this coming. I feel like I may just love this, I don’t know.

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

WE WERE ON A BREAK.

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m done now, and I definitely liked it a LOT more than everyone else here it seems. I was bummed that they left the “eerie and thought-provoking” vibe so quickly, but they actually went so far in the ridiculous and campy/funny direction that I was able to bring myself around to that along with it.

So many lines made me laugh out loud, and Jake sold it so hard that it brought me tons of joy. Some of the kills were really fun too. I just rewatched Final Destination 2 again today so maybe that helped set my mood.

I do wish they had explored more of what was going on with Dease and his history/wishes/end goal, and obviously the ending came way too fast, but I still took a fair amount from it. Maybe it’s giving it too much credit, but I do think there was a message about trying to profit off of someone else’s life and work without their consent or thinking of anything other than yourself and your career.

Some parts also made me think of what it means to allow toxic and violent artists into your life and home and head and how harmful that can be. Propping someone up who was literally a serial killer because you didn’t care to research any history or context, and then once you find out you don’t care because it makes you money? And then at the end that same context and history is passed on to a general public who will also deal with the consequences but without the ability to make an informed decision? Obviously I’d have to read what the creators have to say to see if that was intentional, but I felt like that was hinting towards an issue we talk about on here all the time, and I really enjoyed it.

Overall I would change some major things for sure, but I was definitely the target market and for me it was worth watching.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I think the most infuriating thing about Gilroy is his refusal to commit to tone. This could have been a great commentary/satire of the art world, or a truly over the top, campy bloodfest. He tried to do both and made a movie I truly hated.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Also this scene is the only thing I liked about the movie but I LOVED it. Daveed Diggs just staring at him as he casually stirs eggs or whatever killed me.

9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I loved a lot of the humor in this. That scene may have been top for me but I laughed out loud more than I have at a lot of comedies recently. I would definitely rewatch it just to pay attention to the campy stuff.

Also Zawe Ashton’s death was gorgeous. I wish they had done more like that and my sweet baby Toni’s. I’ll definitely be thinking of that oozing paint for a while.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I wish it was more campy. It was just boring.

Also, I just want to bring it up again, the trailer shows every death in the movie but one. Literally one character ISN'T killed in the trailer. Netflix is fucked.

11. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Ha, we were just talking about avoiding trailers earlier today! I can’t really fault the movie for that, although I would have loved for Netflix to go more of a Russian Doll campaign for this and keep it really vague.