Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Velvet Buzzsaw (Dan Gilroy, February 1, 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by username, Feb 1, 2019.

1. username

hey you lil piss baby

Out on Netflix now.

thedrudo and popdisaster00 like this.
  2. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Watched Nightcrawler again last night in anticipation.

3. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Hopefully gonna watch this in a couple hours when I get outta work.

4. stars143

Trusted

This any good? I saw some really negative reviews.

5. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

Watching this tonight. Nightcrawler was king.

6. Seeing this on Sunday in the theater for Sundance. I wish I didn’t buy tickets to it since it’s on Netflix now... haha

7. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

Just finished this, and it was honestly... fine. Like it definitely is Robert Altman meets Final Destination which rules super hard, and I liked all of the set pieces in it, but it’s really difficult to care about these characters when they have names like Morf and act accordingly.

8. I definitely enjoyed watching this, but as far as commentary goes, it's surprisingly shallow. At least the cast is great

9. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

its fun, but messy. not really like nightcrawler in any way imo.

10. Uhh, I wouldn't say it's bad. I liked it, just not as much as I hoped I would. I may have overhyped this for myself, I was expecting it to be scarier and a bit less of a slow burn. It's very aesthetically pleasing and had some great acting. Everything else was just kind of a letdown. The trailer was so good. I guess it's admirable that it tries to be smart and leans more into its commentary than its horror aspects, but the commentary is, well,

The only parts I really enjoyed were the parts that were already in the trailer. I can understand employing unlikable characters in service of making a point, but the point it made is not as interesting as it should've been. Or maybe it just wasn't made in an interesting way. A lot of the movie felt like exposition through dialogue.

At one point I would've probably been pleased with a movie that's more style than substance and a bit all over the place; maybe my tastes have changed. I think part of what made Nightcrawler so good was that it had focus, it was an in depth character study.

stars143 likes this.
  11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah this was good, not great imo. I found myself really enjoying it at certain points but by the time it wrapped up I was left a bit unsatisfied with some of the character endings. Nightcrawler is one of my favorite movies ever so I wasn't expecting this to top that though. I'll see anything with Gyllenhaal in it and this wasn't a letdown by any means

Also does Billy Magnussen only play a dick in everything he's in? lol

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Bummed this isn't being that well received. I was very much anticipating this. Still hope I can find time to sneak it in this weekend.

13. Jakobindeed

I mean there’s a character named Jon DonDon which I loved

JRGComedy and Dog with a Blog like this.
  14. The part where the installer said "I am more than a man of primitive skills!" with airpods in made me lol

15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Wow, I thought this was horrendous. It felt like it was trying to make a statement by being bad or overly cynical or extremely melodramatic. Or it was just plain bad.

Very let down that a cast this great, a director who seemed to be great, and an interesting enough story was this awful.

16. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Even if this is somewhat satirical, it failed in making any points about the art world that could have been learned from.

17. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Is he played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt

18. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

I liked it. I thought it had a good "New Nightmare" vibe to it. Sometimes almost painfully on-the-nose.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

He just looks like how a douche should look unfortunately haha

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Lol, he totally does but I do think he’s a very good actor.

21. Jakobindeed

This would've been better if it had been

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Oh yeah he's great

23. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

What a disappoitment, loved the trailer.

24. I feel like this had potential to be really good...but it wasn’t.

25. username

hey you lil piss baby

This was really fun, the cartoonish style is better suited here than Nightcrawler imo

Aaron Mook and theagentcoma like this.