Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vegan • Page 7

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Michael Schmidt, May 24, 2016.

1. I should try that apple-based honey anyway

Whatjuliansaid likes this.
  2. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

For anyone who's curious, here's what I could find on why eating honey isn't great for bees.

Apparently honeybees spread disease to native bees: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140219133335.htm

In Australia, native bees are three times more abundant in areas separate from honeybees:
    Do exotic bumblebees and honeybees compete with native flower-visiting insects in Tasmania?

Native bees are more effective than honeybees in pollinating but by introducing honeybees basically everywhere, we're killing them off: Loss of wild pollinators serious threat to crop yields, study finds

Philll, popdisaster00 and ghostxvapor like this.
  3. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Apple honey is good but its expensive.

4. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Pretty sweet!

"All proceeds that would have gone to the artists will be donated to ASPCA to help the dogs affected by Hurricane Harvey."

5. Yasqueen4

Trusted

Question for vegans: if a few people were going in on some sweets and a fruit arrangement for a very sick family member, would you not help pay if some of the food wasn't vegan?

6. lol I'd still pay

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  7. Yasqueen4

Trusted

summertimejesus likes this.
  8. Whatjuliansaid

News on once the clouds are gone. Prestigious

It's so hard to find bee free honey, I finally tried it a few months ago and it was solid. I wish it was easier to find, even Whole Foods don't all have it though. It sucks.

9. Went to the store yesterday and bought vegan cheese slices and almond milk. It's funny, when I was trying this ten years ago there were 50 varieties of soy milk; when I was looking for soy milk yesterday, there was like one type of soy milk and 50 varieties of almond milk, so I just went with that. Had a glass tonight and actually really enjoyed it. The Daiya cheese is really good too.

10. Whatjuliansaid

There needs to be more non-soy foods. I've found a few but I'd like more.

11. Whatjuliansaid

That's cause soymilk sucks and is worse for you. Try field roast chao cheese, if you haven't. It's the best one I've tried that's found in most places.

12. is it actually? all I know is there was all this outcry because of estrogen, but that doesn't seem bad?

13. Whatjuliansaid

Are we talking about soy itself? If so, yes it is just in general bad for you. My nutritionist said I shouldn't have it. it's bad to have it the same way meat eaters would have meat for all three meals and it's in a lot of vegetarian stuff so... it's probably more. I'm sure there's way more good articles about it out there though, also it's bad for the rainforest and stuff so. I'd just say try to be a bit mindful of it.

14. I wanna make my own nut cheeses but it seems really hard

15. Whatjuliansaid

Actually, it's not that hard. Well, my ex made a nut butter or melty cheese and it was like you just put nuts in a jar with water and then idk up it seemed kinda easy? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Nut cheese is definitely the best cheese though.

16. I guess hard isn't the right word, but time consuming (and expensive)

17. Whatjuliansaid

I mean, I guess it depends. Buying a an average size container of nuts can differ. I think she just left it out till it basically soaked into a melt?

18. EarthShifts

Trusted

It's actually not too bad. I've made cashew cheese a bunch of times. You basically soak the nuts in water for a bit, and then blend it until smooth. You can add stuff in to add to the flavor too such as nutritional yeast, lemon, seasonings.

All of my friends eat meat and last year I made homemade cashew cheese won tons so I'd have something to eat at a gathering. They ended up eating all of them before I could even get to it. Haha.

19. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Simultaneously the best and worst things that could have happened.

EarthShifts likes this.
  20. Whatjuliansaid

Vegan sushi ftw

popdisaster00 likes this.
  21. Tempura sweet potato rolls are insanely good

22. Whatjuliansaid

If someone disagrees they may not be human

sonder likes this.
  23. I've never liked sweet potato :-/

24. Whatjuliansaid