Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vegan • Page 3

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Michael Schmidt, May 24, 2016.

1. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

also, bless ben and jerry's nondairy coffee carmel ice cream with coconut whip

popdisaster00 likes this.
  2. So good but so many calories

3. Arry

hahah oh totally, i try not to think about it sometimes

4. BKO5950505

Regular

The wife and I are doing our 22-day vegan diet again starting tomorrow.

Madd stoked...Been feeling (and looking) like shit lately.

5. Why just for 22 days?

6. BKO5950505

Regular

It's this book we got...When we transition back into going 100% vegan, we use it as a sort of starting point.

It's a plant-based diet, so it's pretty much going "cold turkey" for us; beings we got married a few months ago and have just been eating pretty poorly.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  7. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

For those that haven't watched Cowspiracy or What the Heath, I highly recommend both. The same guys did both documentaries and they are really well done. Cowspiracy should be on Netflix.

8. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

the 22 plan isnt a bad idea. i tell a lot of people who feel like its an overwhelming change to try it for a month and see how it goes. i think its something that gets easier with time and i think mentally telling yourself to do it for a month at first helps some to see how your body, relationship with food and mental changes can be monitored.

BKO5950505 and popdisaster00 like this.
  9. Arry

10. [​IMG]

11. Michael Schmidt

Not sure how big the chain is, but Yard House has a pretty decent veg/vegan menu now. I was pretty impressed, given the limited options there are at most places.

12. chris

Trusted Supporter

I've been meaning to go here for a while cause apparently the beer selection is pretty good but it's Portland so the beer selection is good everywhere and so it hasn't been very pressing but this is good to know in case I'm ever looking for someplace to check out with non veg people

13. Arry

anyone got any good mac and cheese recipes? the best vegan mac n cheese i've had was at homegrown smoker in portland. i'm about willing to drive 3 hours to get some

tyramail likes this.
  14. Michael Schmidt

I have only had one vegan mac and cheese and I didn't really like it too much. I feel like that's one of the harder foods to find a replacement. Maybe I'm wrong and I just haven't had a good one.

Arry likes this.
  15. chris

Trusted Supporter

HGS is amazing.

That said, I can't find the recipe right now but the best vegan mac I've made has been using cheese sauce made from nutritional yeast, so maybe check out/experiment with some of those recipes.

Arry likes this.
  16. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

anyone:
    which stores do you usually shop at?
    and what's your average breakfast-lunch-dinner look like?

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. Michael Schmidt

Stores: Trader Joes/Aldi, Whole Foods, and sometimes a local market or grocery store. I kind of hop around and certain items you can get anywhere. I'm kind of picky on fruit and veggies. I try to stick to the 9, but sometimes I cave and go with the 4. I hate the 8 though. It really depends what I am shopping for I guess. I will also go to the Asian market for like bok choy or jackfruit. I am definitely not confined to one place though lol.

Breakfast: toast, fruit, and oatmeal. Sometimes cereal with almond milk.
    Lunch: usually some sort of leftovers from dinner with fruit and veggies.
    Dinner: lots of rice-based dishes because I love rice. I'll do some pasta stuff as well. I will usually try to make large amounts of foods that I know I can use throughout the week and keep the dinner prep down each night, but sometimes I will try a new recipe for fun. It just sort of depends. Contrary to the trendy diets, I like potatoes a lot. As a pretty heavy runner, potatoes and sweet potatoes are heaven.

18. chris

Trusted Supporter

Stores: 90% of the time whatever grocer is closest, so Safeway or Fred Meyer around here. Sometime New Seasons because I love it there and they sometimes have a better bulk vegetable selection.

If I need something special/specific or if I'm really trying to treat myself then somewhere like Whole Foods, but I typically avoid it cause it's expensive.

I understand a lot of what I eat daily is kind of specific to my situation but typically:

Breakfast: my office usually has fruit out, so whatever is available when I get there, sometimes I'll bring granola

Lunch: I usually skip unless I bring leftovers, but sometimes I'll grab some hummus and pretzels and veggies.

Dinner: a lot of stir fries lately. Alternating the type of veggies I'm feeling, with or without tofu. Sometimes I'll make a bunch of rice and throw it in if I want something a little more filling and to be able to box up for lunch during the week

lightning13 likes this.
  19. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

I have protein shake in morning. Wrap for lunch which is usually cucumbers, chickpeas, tahini, siracha mustard, spinach. I bring a lot of fruit to pick on if i get hungry during day, just in case. Dinner is maybe more of a carb like rice/Buddha bowls, pasta, etc. I also go for soups a lot for dinner. I shop at kroger marketplace, which has good organic section and produce

lightning13 likes this.
  20. Breakfast for me is usually oatmeal + apple or cereal + almond milk on the weekends.

Lunch is usually leftovers or a frozen/microwavable vegan meal like a vegan burrito

Dinner is all over the board. Last night I got sesame tofu + rice!

lightning13 likes this.
  21. Arry

we usually shop at safeway or whole foods if we're not broke. or our local vegan grocery if we're looking for something specific.

breakfast: been meal prepping vegan burritos. potatoes, scrambled tofu, black olives (my gf and i really love olives) and mushrooms.

lunch: i usually meal prep lunch just for myself so this week i did beef gyudon with some noodles and radish kimchi.

dinner: whatever we're craving. falafel sandwiches, stir fries are easy and quick/filling, creamy alfredo pasta or red sauce spaghetti. last night we bought this mac and cheese from our vegan grocery, and made some roasted mushrooms and broccoli to go along with it. it was pretty good! might have to try other brands to find something as close as kraft as we can. if we go out, it's either pho, sushi, or wayward which has great vegan diner food.

lightning13 likes this.
  22. yes! I love going to the one in Boston because they have an entire Gardein section of their menu; the veg buffalo wings and the veg chicken torta are great.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  23. Michael Schmidt

That's exactly what I am talking about, the Gardein section! They make it in house too which is pretty cool. I got the orange chicken, rice, baby corn, and bok choy. It was awesome and the portions were very reasonable. There were so many things I wanted to try though. You factor in the extensive drink menu and all of the tv's for sporting events and I'm sold. Yeah, it's a chain, but good people can work at chains too and it's a much easier sell for my family and friends that aren't veg/vegan. It's just nice to have a place like that as a legitimate option. Normally it's your choice of a salad and a veggie/black bean burger when I got out.

scott likes this.
  24. Michael Schmidt

Hope all you fellow vegans had an awesome cinco de mayo! For myself, I wanted to fully embrace American faux Mexican (plus I was craving one) so I took my shot at making vegan crunchwrap supremes with leftover vegan queso dip as an appetizer. They turned out really well and I just wanted to share with people. I did a little looking around and found some good recipes and just took a stab at it. I'm looking forward to making both in the future and really perfecting the craft.

25. Michael Schmidt

Not sure how long it will be up on YouTube, but here is the What the Health documentary if you haven't seen it yet. It's from the same people that did Cowspiracy.