Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vegan • Page 27

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Michael Schmidt, May 24, 2016.

1. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Lmao. Haven’t bought specialty products in a long time so I wouldn’t know, but that wouldn’t surprise me at all

2. Ferris

I'd assume this messageboard is largely US-based, but the explosion in vegan products here in Ireland over the last 3-5 years has been nothing short of stunning. There's a [tasty] alternative for absolutely everything. Sure, some are way overpriced, but the majority are comparative or cheaper. It's a good time to be vegan!

3. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

ive also noticed wayyy more restaurants are becoming more accomodating too. i mean asian restaurants always were and will be the best for vegan options if u ask me but theres a lot more modern american bar and grill type places having shit like cauliflower steaks and black bean burgers and im all for it ha

4. Philll

Trusted

My wife and I are finally taking the plunge, we've gone about 95% vegan over the last week or two. Weirdly the biggest obstacle for me has been with hot drinks, tea and coffee just aren't the same without cows milk. That said, we've discovered that actually oat milk works fairly well for tea, so now I'm getting over that hurdle I'm feeling pretty good about everything else. Think we're probably going to operate on a policy of vegan at home, vegetarian when we're out for the time being.

5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

That’s the smart policy, depending on the restaurants or your friends and family. I live in Chicago and we tend to have a lot of vegan options, but every so often we do a veggie pizza with actual cheese, or the standard penne pasta dish at friends or events will already have cheese in it. It’s not really the battle I want to fight and a little bit of dairy or meat every now and then isn’t horrible.

Philll likes this.
  6. ghostxvapor

Trusted

A little bit?
    It's not that hard to skip the meat and cheese

7. Philll

Trusted

Also not hard to let people make their own choices :blush:

popdisaster00 and PeacefulOrca like this.
  8. JamesMichael Oct 5, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 5, 2020)
    JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Myself and my partner have been vegan for quite a few years now. We were vegetarian for years before hand but I think giving up meat and milk was the easy part for us so we were always 80% there. The meat substitutions are really nice and the vegan ranges have grown tremendously in recent years. We have the Plant Kitchen range here in the UK at M&S and Waitrose does a great selection too. The one think I don't think they've 'nailed' is vegan cheese. I personally have a dislike for it melted in large doses. Grated vegan cheese is nicer than melted to me. I don't know what it's about it melted... maybe the creaminess?

We also have a range here called Alpro, which do amazing oat and nut milk alternatives to which I've always largely preferred. Nut milk in cereal is just way nicer to me!

Philll likes this.
  9. ghostxvapor

Trusted

Just telling the truth :blush:

10. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

yea for me i dont really "cheat" like that but at the same time i gave up a long time ago on italian. besides like a hoagie or cheeseless pizza u wont really find vegan much of anything worth it there lol.

i dont want to be in the business of shaming ppl for how far they go tho. any time someone whose probably been raised on the standard western meat-centered diet goes and makes the effort to consume less meat/dairy/eggs--especially economically--even if not all the way that is still a very great thing that makes a real difference.

11. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Not sure how many brands make crossover between the US and Europe, but Miyokos absolutely nails a whole range of vegan cheese products IMO.

JamesMichael and PeacefulOrca like this.
  12. JamesMichael

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ve had a browse and nothing comes up for the U.K. unfortunately. Hopefully they make their way over here eventually!

13. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Do you have violife? I know it’s made in Greece so maybe there’s a better chance of you having it. Probably the best cheese for melting imo

14. Philll

Trusted

OK thread, tell me your best recipes for vegan pancake batter

15. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

You make pancake batter from scratch?

16. Philll

Trusted

Haha, I'm British, so yes

popdisaster00 and PeacefulOrca like this.
  17. JamesMichael

Yeah we have Violife! Their grated cheese is my favourite so far for sure. I 100% prefer it over the other big brand here called Sheese. A lot of vegan brands seem to have partnered with them for their products and it's awful!

18. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Your sheeshe is the states daiya haha

19. Philll

Trusted

How do people feel about this? I'm at the point now where the thought of actual meat is really unappetising so I imagine I'll steer clear of this stuff.

JamesMichael likes this.
  20. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

same w me, plus ive grown to like the health advantages of avoiding meat. besides obviously reducing animal suffering, if this new technique is at least somewhat less bad for the environment it gets my thumbs up. if this is going to be the eventual future of meat hopefully it can be made affordable for consumers too. im guessing a lot of special interests are going to lash out at this shit tho.

Philll likes this.
  21. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Orla and sonder like this.
  22. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Been looking for a good brand of vegan jerky. Anyone have any recs? I’ve had most from Louisville and they’re decent, and Primal but I’m not a fan.

23. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

I recently had some of the Gardein jerky and really enjoyed it! Particularly the teriyaki flavor! I’ve always found the Primal to be too chewy for my liking.

Weird LiBrary and Orla like this.
  24. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

My mother in law found some portabella jerky for Christmas for me and it was very good. I wish I remembered what the brand was.

Orla likes this.
  25. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

So I genuinely don’t know how to really go vegan beyond just not consuming animal products. How did y’all start your diets? Also, is it worth looking into that plant based meat at all?

spreadthehummus2321 likes this.